• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercedes E63 AMG

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have considered getting an "E" AMG a couple of times over the years but have never pulled the trigger, must as I loved the car, because (1) no 4MATIC available, and (2) back seat in the E was surprisingly small (I needed space for kids/carseats) though the new E series probably has a larger back seat.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you don't need a back seat, I'd prefer a CLS63, but I don't know the price differential over there for the E and CLS on the used market. They're neck and neck here, because the CLS was massively popular, about $65K buys you an '08 with low mileage (about half of what Americans would consider low mileage, though it's all city driving)... used MB's are fairly underpriced in our market, considering they're about $150K/$200K respectively, new.
the CLS63 is one of the few cars on my car buying radar nowadays, maybe that, Qportes of the same age, and M5's, and the 63 is winning by a long shot. It's got some looks that the E doesn't have, it's about the same mechanically, and to me, has a bit more potential to age better than the E. There've been so many iterations of the four-eyed E class now, whereas the CLS still catches your eye.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blofeld
Anybody have any experience with this beast? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2008 with less than 20K miles on it, but am worried a bit about reliability and potentially astronomical repair costs. Any thoughts / experiences with this particular car or other AMGs for that matter?

So did you pull the trigger? I had to pour in another quart of Mobil 1 the other day and reminded me of this thread.

Originally Posted by impolyt_one
If you don't need a back seat, I'd prefer a CLS63, but I don't know the price differential over there for the E and CLS on the used market.

I prefer a car that goes 0-60 in 4.5 secs and the quarter mile in about 12 secs to be somewhat inconspicuous. To the casual observer, the E63 looks like a regular and common geriatric E class. I think it is much easier on my drivers license.

blofeld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
So did you pull the trigger? I had to pour in another quart of Mobil 1 the other day and reminded me of this thread.

no your oil story scared me...also I decided I want an suv because really, **** earth. that said, I've now set my sights on an X5 / X5M or Range Rover Supercharged

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Brother in law had an AMG, bought used with more miles--not sure of the exact model. Said every trip to the dealer was a minimum of a grand. But if it's CPO and you have a good warranty, give it a shot and just remember to unload before the warranty is up. It's a hot-**** car!

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my dealer is trying to drag me in on a S63 he found on a dealer search .. and the bastard had the MB area finance rep get me a comp visit to an upcoming AMG Driving Academy in CT.. sumabitch trying to bankrupt me... I'll prolly let him next year..
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

blofeld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
my dealer is trying to drag me in on a S63 he found on a dealer search .. and the bastard had the MB area finance rep get me a comp visit to an upcoming AMG Driving Academy in CT.. sumabitch trying to bankrupt me... I'll prolly let him next year..
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

get the s65...that's prolly the nicest sedan in existence, ever.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GSquared
http://poquetauto.com/cardetail.cfm?StockID=010111677

was this the one you were looking at?

If I had the $$ I would do it in a second. Though I wouldn't get this one. I would want it in black on black.

I've had my eye on these for years.

That doesn't really have much of a warranty left on it if it expires in October of this year. I've seen lower mileage, longer warrantied AMG's on ebay for a lot less than $5X,XXX if memory serves me right - high risk $80K car after 3 years selling for $50K seems like not enough depreciation, no? Especially considering these cars do depreciate like crazy.

GSquared

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
That doesn't really have much of a warranty left on it if it expires in October of this year. I've seen lower mileage, longer warrantied AMG's on ebay for a lot less than $5X,XXX if memory serves me right - high risk $80K car after 3 years selling for $50K seems like not enough depreciation, no? Especially considering these cars do depreciate like crazy.

I'm not disagreeing. This place is local to MN and has a lot of imports and higher end so I look there a lot.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Good cars, as with all amgs depreciate like anchors in the sky.

THought about getting one, dirt cheap around 42-44k while 90 when new.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads