• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Vogue to close?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MV turned into a horrible magazine and it will not be missed.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Men's Vogue was slightly marsupialed as was Classic Style--that cellphone holster ad scarred me for life.
You mean the pics of overweight middle aged men in balloon pants and wide pinstripes didn't do the trick?

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those in LA.
Asahiya on Sawtelle and Kinokinuya in Little Tokyo have a good selection of Japanese Mags, (Mens Ex, Leon etc).

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
You mean the pics of overweight middle aged men in balloon pants and wide pinstripes didn't do the trick?

On purpose?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectre
Where do you get this? Is it monthly?
Kinokuniya in Seattle. Think it comes monthly, though they just started it last month. It's focus is much more on runway fashion, with great layouts and photography, and not so much of Men's Ex type coverage.
1026430912_orig_vhj.jpg

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont feel Mens Vogue is as bad as people are saying. I mean its not great but miles better then GQ which has been reduced to a bunch of ads these days. I was just about to fill out my renewal when i saw this post. Just saved me $30.00 bucks, thanks!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of men's magazines, I far prefer the European ones: Vogue L'Uomo, Arena Homme Plus, Les Officiels Hommes, etc.

The Americans also have VMan, but that is far too homoerotic for any sensible style advice.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Just saved me $30.00 bucks, thanks!

That shallow shyte cost you $30 ???
I thought it was under $10 for the whole year
confused.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As many others, I eagerly anticipated the first few editions but quickly got bored and saw no reason to keep looking.

Can't say this one will be missed... it was a good idea that could/should have been taken farther than the diluted, boring, light direction it went.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For the price via subscription, I'm not complaining 'bout MV. It is what it is, I say- a great read in the crapper. My wife will be happy when she finds out though... less junk in the room.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Of men's magazines, I far prefer the European ones: Vogue L'Uomo, Arena Homme Plus, Les Officiels Hommes, etc.

The Americans also have VMan, but that is far too homoerotic for any sensible style advice.

So the European magazines are only moderately homoerotic?
smile.gif

It seems every time I buy something like Vogue L'Uomo I end up seeing more of a man than I ever wished.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The last issue was so thin I could have read it from cover to cover while in line at the grocery store. I was pissed at myself for buying it after looking at it when I got home (and I do mean look - there was nothing worth reading) that I felt that this was the harbinger of things to come. I guess my feelings were right. As for you San Francisco guys looking for the Japanese magazine discussed, I would think it would be available at the Japanese bookstore in Peace Plaza in Japantown.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
A lot of truth in that. From the outset I noticed that there was something schizoid about the magazine. On the one hand, they wished to reach out to men who liked to dress with classic elegance in timeless style. On the other hand, a lot of their core market were retro costumers. I think making the first issue a "hat" issue with the back pages filled with pictures of Fedora Lounge get togethers may have poisoned the wells as far as getting advertising from mainstream advertisers like Ralph Lauren, Hickey-Freeman, HSM, A-E, Alden, Brooks Brothers, Canali, Corneliani, etc., who might naturally advertise in a true "classic style" magazine but wouldn't be uninterested in as tiny a market as the costume boys. The fact that most of the advertising they did get was costume-oriented would undoubtedly force them to continue to cater to this market as well as reinforce the impression that it was primarily a costume magazine. The whole thing was a great pity. Had it succeeded it could have occupied a good niche. There was much that I liked about the magazine.

I must confess with some guilt that I never really enjoyed the magazine myself. Somehow, even when lively writers were engaged, their style got cramped, their voice never really emerged. Will's ASW is always lively, but his writing on CS seemed to have been written by someone else. I wonder if the editors were at fault.

You might have thought that with my interest in dress history the magazine would be perfect for me. However, I hardly learned a thing from all the pages. As you say, the FL is more about costume as an end in itself. I freely admit that most historic costume looks terrible. History is the waste bin of affected fashions - or worse, a vast waste bin of plain indifferent dullness for the average man who cared little about dress. Harsh though that is, it seemed that CS drew its very life and breath from that bin
devil.gif

Most men of the past were far from looking like walking fashion plates. For example, here is a fashion plate showing a striking coat with a high one button closure and V shaped cutaway front:

MorningCoats_Openfront_HPoole.jpg

In reality, this is how this style worked out for the average man:

MorningCoat_c1887.jpg

Hardly inspiring stuff. The boots are even more atrocious. History is fascinating, but the Brummells and D'Orsays of the world were less than one in a million even in their age. Aping history as an end in itself results in mere stage costuming.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads