• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FillW

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a straw boater in the wild, on either side of the pond, outside of costume parties and barbershop quartets. I think to all intents and purposes they are dead. I also can't think of a single occasion to wear one in today's world where a well made and shaped panama wouldn't be a better choice, QED the photo above.

I can see wearing one to a baseball game just like they used to do in the old days.

I'll do it yet this summer when I get enough extra money (to get the hat and go to a game).

FillW

Reaction score
Art Fawcett makes beautiful hats. Not sure about that one though.

You guys buying boaters should tread carefully. Tough hat to pull off.

lefty

That guy would have a tough time pulling off a lot of hats.
lol8[1].gif

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Took the plunge and ordered a shorter-brimmed Montecristo from PanamaBob. Hat will be blocked and finished by Art Fawcett. I'm excited. Just have to wait. In the meantime, need some extra funds to pay for it, so this one is going back on ebay tomorrow unless anyone here is interested in it:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Took the plunge and ordered a shorter-brimmed Montecristo from PanamaBob. Hat will be blocked and finished by Art Fawcett. I'm excited. Just have to wait. In the meantime, need some extra funds to pay for it, so this one is going back on ebay tomorrow unless anyone here is interested in it:

art does good work. please post picture

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I love all of the panamas that have been posted lately. I'm heading to Naples soon, so I'm going to try to find a new one.

Here is a rather rare color (I think) for a felt Borsalino:

In use:

An older Homburg by Habig in Vienna. Can't seem to date it.

flirtkakat

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Gonna check out hats soon. Started shaving my head a few months ago and the sun is killing me. The stuff posted here looks great.

omgitswes

Reaction score
Can I get some opinions on this one? Really want a panama hat, but without any stores around me selling them I can't try them on first. This is on ebay for only 30 bucks so if it's a miss I won't regret it too much. Says it's a genuine Montecristi Panama hat....whatever that means. I'd be wearing it casually with just a polo shirt more than likely. What do you guys think?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Looks nice and I would probably take a chance on it for $30.

Not sure about the 'genuine Montecristi' bit. I stand to be corrected but while Montecriti is a region in Ecuador famous for its Panama hats, I believe it's understood that Montecriti also refers to a subset of Panama hats that are the pinnacle of craftsmanship and made of such finely woven straw that the texture is very like linen. They can be rolled up and put in a pocket and will bounce back to their original shape like magic. They are also VERY expensive (often easily over $1000) so a 'genuine Montecristi' for $30 doesn't pass the smell test.

Anyway please report back with you're results, and anyone else feel free to weigh in if I'm off base here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads