• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men in leggings (meggings) yay or nay?

Reaction score
I just finished a post on my blog here discussing men wearing leggings. I've been very intrigued by the trend, and I'm honestly thinking about trying my hand at it. As a New Yorker I've been seeing more and more men wearing them to the gym, and in formal settings with solid sport coats. Coming from a place as laid back as long island meggings (man-leggings) can come off as a bit odd to me.

No judgement but I guess with the change into the New Year the skinny jean just isn’t enough anymore. I must admit, even though it’s not my style I like the look: it’s simple, easy, and practical, and being that most of the boys that wear them regularly are dancers or artists in studios all day I’m ok with it. So before I try my hand at it what do you ladies and gentleman think of meggings? Do you guys wear them?

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Flicks or GTFO!

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score

I must admit, I felt incredibly over dressed for coffee in my graphic t-shirt, Bermuda shorts, and basic slip-ons. After all, the only people in the coffee shop were these tallish, avant-garde, waif thin creatures most likely the future of the art industry. If that’s not enough intimidation to make me put down my caramel macchiato, there’s always at least one of the group who looks like he dressed Grace Jones in a past life.

Have you ever tried reading your writing out loud?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would have to say no! No offense to anyone but leggings should only be worn by women. Then again some women should not wear them either. The only time I think men would get away with them is for warmth or sport not for fashion.
I think I agree with you. I have been seeing a lot of men in NYC wearing black leggings and sport coats, and some of them look surprisingly chic.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brad-t is always angry. His slogan is a useful clue.

To your original query, let's be frank, there are some guys who can pull off leggings and some guys who can't. If you're in the artsy, skinny territory go for it. If you're an overweight hipster who's taken the APC thing too far, then probably don't do it.

There will probably be some posts in here asking if you're a troll and/or making fun of this thread as if somehow it is beneath the common denominator that is SW&D, but have no fear, there are only so many times one can view a picture of a $30 henley and answering if they should buy it or not, and then having someone else say that it is not worth that amount of money and they can find one on ebay for $3.

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure men can wear leggings, if they are a figure skater, ballet dancer or, more importantly, a transvestite **********er.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reaction score
Brad-t is always angry. His slogan is a useful clue.

To your original query, let's be frank, there are some guys who can pull off leggings and some guys who can't. If you're in the artsy, skinny territory go for it. If you're an overweight hipster who's taken the APC thing too far, then probably don't do it.

There will probably be some posts in here asking if you're a troll and/or making fun of this thread as if somehow it is beneath the common denominator that is SW&D, but have no fear, there are only so many times one can view a picture of a $30 henley and answering if they should buy it or not, and then having someone else say that it is not worth that amount of money and they can find one on ebay for $3.
Now that he explains it yes lol. I will take note for future posts :).
Hmm... I'm thinking you may be right.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Like this?

0.jpg

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they're not in a feminine color/pattern and are paired with reasonably masculine, edgy clothing above the waist, they can look okay on a slim young man in a fashion-forward environment. Otherwise, they probably will look silly.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads