• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

bik2101

Reaction score
Surgeon: Too bad we can't rely on the opinion of the customer service rep. Looks like we can only rely on ourselves.
If your chest is 36" then a size 36 ought to give enough room for a sweater. If you want a closer fit, then go one size down. As Clarinet Player said in a post a few pages back, it might not fit in other areas. If you have large shoulders or long arms, you might have some problem with fit when going down a size.
It gets cold there in W. Virginia, especially in the mountains, so I would think you would want it large enough for a sweater. But then, that is up to you.
Please post the p2p on the size 38 you got so we will have a frame of reference for the Mil. Spec. in that size. To find the proper way to measure the p2p, see the sizing section in my article which is linked in my signature line.
Bik2101: Thanks for the p2p on the Authentic, your chest size and the comments about the fit. I take it that with the size 34, there is not much room for a sweater?

yeah, not a heavy sweater. i generally don't like to layer much or wear heavy sweaters. in the 34, i can comfortably have on an oxford with one of those thin merino wool sweaters over it.

albeindc

Reaction score
So I've read through a lot of the latest posts here to get an idea for a Sterlingwear fit, and I'm looking for some advice from you experts here. I'm 5'4 and between 135-140 lbs, athletic build (my shoulders, arms, and chest are not slim, but they're not huge). My normal suit size is 38S, since I typically have to layer on shirts for that, though a 36S would be more form fitting. From what I can gather, a 36S would be what I'm looking for for a peacoat? Or would a 34S be a better proposition? I don't typically wear thick sweaters under a larger/thicker jacket (such as a peacoat).

Last edited:

bik2101

Reaction score
So I've read through a lot of the latest posts here to get an idea for a Sterlingwear fit, and I'm looking for some advice from you experts here. I'm 5'4 and between 135-140 lbs, athletic build (my shoulders, arms, and chest are not slim, but they're not huge). My normal suit size is 38S, since I typically have to layer on shirts for that, though a 36S would be more form fitting. From what I can gather, a 36S would be what I'm looking for for a peacoat? Or would a 34S be a better proposition? I don't typically wear thick sweaters under a larger/thicker jacket (such as a peacoat).
you need to measure your chest size. i'm pretty sure peacoat has posted this advice many times already, even in the past couple pages. jacket sizes aren't going to help anyone figure out what would be the best size for you. once you know your chest size read peacoat's guide on sizing and again, look through the past several pages, there are p2p measurements that have been posted for both 36 and 34

albeindc

Reaction score
you need to measure your chest size. i'm pretty sure peacoat has posted this advice many times already, even in the past couple pages. jacket sizes aren't going to help anyone figure out what would be the best size for you. once you know your chest size read peacoat's guide on sizing and again, look through the past several pages, there are p2p measurements that have been posted for both 36 and 34
you're right, and I'm going to measure tonight. sucks being stockier built than most folks!

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In today's dreary, grey light, here is that elusive midnight bluish hue that the Mil Spec sometimes shows.. In most light, I'd identify the color as black. But not today. For a reference, the buttons are definitely black.

IronRinn

Reaction score
I checked 4 or 5 of my pea coats and only found one that had the button. It is the standard 1 1/4" fouled anchor button.

Ok, that's interesting. So does that mean the older coats didn't have the interior button? I just assumed that they always had the interior button, especially since this one has the buttonhole for it. I was suspicious that the lining didn't seem to show a spot where a button used to be, but I figured I may have just missed it. Mysteries!

jlloscos

Reaction score
Hi! New guy here! I just recieved this wwII peacoat this week, and I don't know if keep it or sell it. My chest measures 41" and I buy a size 40 (still have the tag on the collar), but it's not as trim as I expected and the sleeves are a little short, so if I downsize they will look ridiculous. What do you think?

commonppl

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. This helps a lot, but I forgot to mention, and maybe this is important or maybe this isn't. There may be a standard arm sleeve length for people, but does that vary on the basis of height? I'm of the shorter variety (5'2), so the peacoat doesn't look too big or bulky on me, what would be the appropiate sleeve length?
I just wrote an extensive peacoat guide and wanted to share it here because I think it provides a bit of new information about the peacoat.

I think the tendency with a slim modern cut is to go above the wrist a bit, to show a little sleeve--imo, you shouldn't do as much as you would with a sport coat, but it shouldn't be going past the end of your wrist.

Navy regs say 3/4 of the way from the wrist to the knuckles. I say about an inch below the wrist joint so the cuff will cover a shirt or sweater worn underneath.
I don't think you will get any shrinkage from dry cleaning. At least I have never noticed any.

Peacoat

Reaction score

Ok, that's interesting. So does that mean the older coats didn't have the interior button? I just assumed that they always had the interior button, especially since this one has the buttonhole for it. I was suspicious that the lining didn't seem to show a spot where a button used to be, but I figured I may have just missed it. Mysteries!

Yes, mysteries abound, especially in the world of vintage pea coats. Some of them I just can't worry about.

Hi! New guy here! I just recieved this wwII peacoat this week, and I don't know if keep it or sell it. My chest measures 41" and I buy a size 40 (still have the tag on the collar), but it's not as trim as I expected and the sleeves are a little short, so if I downsize they will look ridiculous. What do you think? 

Your chest is a tweener size; it is harder to get a good fit than if you had a 42" or 40" chest.

What I think is that it is a good fit, but the only one who matters is you. If you are sensitive about sleeve length, as I am, then there should be enough material in the cuff to extend the sleeves about 1 to 1 1/2" if you want to do that. You probably only need about an inch. The tailor can "scab" onto the original material in the cuff with another piece of material. After he is finished it will be difficult to to see where the original cuff line was. Brush the cuff and then have it dry cleaned. I just had my size 40 peacoat lengthened in the sleeves. Worked very well. Some people like their sleeves the length you have, or even shorter, so it is just up to you.

Congratulations on a good score. I would never sell that coat.

Last edited:

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a BNWT Sterlingwear Mil Spec online for a song...

wow.

for anyone who is on the fence about these coats, get one!

The construction/material is well above what's used in their civilian coats and the fit is much better as well.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Couldn't find it in my budget to pick up a Buzz Rickson :(

On the bright side, I found a kersey coat on e-bay with stencil etc. I will post detailed pictures when it arrives.

Peacoat

Reaction score

I recently picked up a BNWT Sterlingwear Mil Spec online for a song...
wow.
for anyone who is on the fence about these coats, get one!

The construction/material is well above what's used in their civilian coats and the fit is much better as well.

Good to hear that ZaZaZa.

Please post the stated size, the p2p, your chest size and how the coat fits you. I know that last part is subjective, but if you phrase it in terms of "close fit without a sweater," or "room for a sweater," that will tell others much of what they need to know.

ykim888

Reaction score
I recently received my Sterlingwear Navigator Pea Coat in size 40R and it is HUGE!!

I measured the p2p and its almost 23" (+-22 3/4")

Since I'm all the way out in Korea, I'm just gonna take it to the tailor and make it fit. I'll try post before and after pics soon...

my measurements: 176cm (5'77)
chest: 40.5"
weight: 167.5

anyone wanting to get a Navigator should check sizes

Last edited:

Contrast

Reaction score
I recently received my Sterlingwear Navigator Pea Coat in size 40R and it is HUGE!!

I measured the p2p and its almost 23" (+-22 3/4")

Since I'm all the way out in Korea, I'm just gonna take it to the tailor and make it fit. I'll try post before and after pics soon...

my measurements: 176cm (5'77)
chest: 40.5"
weight: 167.5

anyone wanting to get a Navigator should check sizes
Wow that's pretty big
I decided to size down to a 34, it's coming in a day or 2.
Hopefully the fit is good.
Will post pictures when it gets here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads