• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Peacoat

Reaction score
Yes, the p2p should be 24.5 (if 49" is the outside measurement) which gives 46 as the actual size of the coat, irrespective of what they say the size is. If the wool shell is as thick as the wool used in the vintage US Navy peacoats, that coat will fit someone with an actual chest size of 46 fairly loosely, and with a chest size of 48 fairly closely.

Neognosis

Reaction score

I bought his schott peacoat almost a year ago, after much debate.

My only regret is that I waited so long. It is fantastic and warm with just a shirt underneath down to the low 40's.

DrYou

Reaction score
First post, looking for advice, opinions. I've been looking for a Peacoat for a couple months now. I'm 6'2 240lbs, normally wear a 48R blazer. I ended up getting an L.L. Bean "Authentic Wool Pea Coat" made by "Sterlingwear", 80% wool, Oxford Grey. I preferred (only slightly) something not black or super dark navy blue as I have a blonde dog and I like the contrast of the a lighter color with dark jeans. "Regularly" $259, it was on sale for $199.99, I bought a 20% off coupon on eBay for $2, they also had a promo where you got a $10 gift card if you spent $100, after I placed my order I chatted with customer service and had them apply the gift card to my order. So all said and done I got the brand new Sterlingwear coat for $151.20, since it came from L.L Bean it's also backed by their 100% Guaranteed which I liked.

I do like the coat, feels solid and good quality. I normally wear an XL in shirt, but I ordered the large which seems spot on, sleeves may be a hair too short, has a decent amount of room inside still, but I know a medium wouldn't fit. The one thing that bugs me is the padding in the shoulders. I own a few blazers that I like to wear with jeans, but I never grab the ones with shoulder padding cause I don't think it looks right on me, at least with a dressed down jean look. Not sure what it is, my shoulders, my large head? I guess I'm wondering if this coat really does fit well and if I'm just being self conscious about the shoulders? I'm tempted to return it and start the search again, this time looking only for Peacoats with no shoulder padding. When it comes to that path I'm having difficulty knowing which high quality ones have no padding as it's hard to tell from pictures.

Thoughts?

For context, the shirt I'm wearing is an XL Tall white oxford from Old Navy, so slightly longer in sleeves and torso. Coat covers torso, shirt does stick out of the sleeve, anywhere from nothing to 2 inches depending how my arm is positioned. iPhone is in the pictures cause I'm using it to trigger my camera. =)

Thanks!

Last edited:

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you really 140lbs at 6'2" or did you mean 240? It's the slightest bit short in body and sleeve length as you said, but for $150 I'd be totally happy with that. Looks good to me.

Roygbivuxg

Reaction score
I think the shoulders are acceptable but the overall length is a few inches short. Left sleeve looks OK but right sleeve appears way short??

DrYou

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Leaning towards a return at this point. The goal of this purchase was to get a close to perfect as possible and have a coat that I'll have for a long time. I chatted with LL Bean about their new model Peacoat which is no longer made by Sterlingwear. The new model is %100 wool with Thinsulate lining which I've heard good things about. She also said the new model is "slightly fitted, but you will still be able to wear a mid weight layer under the item and you would still order a size Large". I can also order it in a Tall size which will add 1 inch to the sleeve and 2 inch to the torso. That would either be spot on or still maybe a tad short I think, but better. Can only get it in Dark Navy but that's okay. I would be able to re-use my discounts to bring the new model down to $198, still not bad. They said the shoulders aren't "padded" on either model, just "structured". From the model pics though the shoulders seem less drastic on the new model.

LINK to the new model

Also looking at the Schott's, more expensive, better sizing options, more comfortable with LL Bean support in terms of ease of returns etc even though I've not seen negative things about Schott service.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Reaction score
See if LL Bean can give you an accurate p2p measurement. That is a better indication of how the coat will fit rather than relying on the stated chest size, which varies between manufacturers.

If you haven't already done so, read my guide linked below. Toward the end there is section on fit and how to minimize sizing problems when ordering online.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...-dating-the-united-states-navy-peacoat.72058/

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the input. Leaning towards a return at this point. The goal of this purchase was to get a close to perfect as possible and have a coat that I'll have for a long time. I chatted with LL Bean about their new model Peacoat which is no longer made by Sterlingwear. The new model is %100 wool with Thinsulate lining which I've heard good things about. She also said the new model is "slightly fitted, but you will still be able to wear a mid weight layer under the item and you would still order a size Large". I can also order it in a Tall size which will add 1 inch to the sleeve and 2 inch to the torso. That would either be spot on or still maybe a tad short I think, but better. Can only get it in Dark Navy but that's okay. I would be able to re-use my discounts to bring the new model down to $198, still not bad. They said the shoulders aren't "padded" on either model, just "structured". From the model pics though the shoulders seem less drastic on the new model.

LINK to the new model 

Also looking at the Schott's, more expensive, better sizing options, more comfortable with LL Bean support in terms of ease of returns etc even though I've not seen negative things about Schott service. 

I have a very similar build to you. Same height, similar weight, and I snagged the LL Bean Pea Coat made by Sterlingwear in size Large Tall and it fits perfectly. So I think that would have been your best bet. Just saw that the new Bean peacoat is sold out in Large Tall so hopefully you snagged it before this happened!

If not, do you have any Army / Navy surplus stores around you? I went to a local one here in Seattle and they had a huge supply of Schott pea coats and in tall sizes.

I have Sterlingwear and Schott peacoats (as well as J Crew) and you really can't go wrong with these if you're not going for a vintage one.

DrYou

Reaction score
I have a very similar build to you. Same height, similar weight, and I snagged the LL Bean Pea Coat made by Sterlingwear in size Large Tall and it fits perfectly. So I think that would have been your best bet. Just saw that the new Bean peacoat is sold out in Large Tall so hopefully you snagged it before this happened!

If not, do you have any Army / Navy surplus stores around you? I went to a local one here in Seattle and they had a huge supply of Schott pea coats and in tall sizes.

I have Sterlingwear and Schott peacoats (as well as J Crew) and you really can't go wrong with these if you're not going for a vintage one.

I ended up sending back the first coat from L.L. Bean coat, just got the new one today (Large Tall). Updated pics below, feels good, I think it fits well, at some angles and poses it seems to highlight my gut, which I don't think is terrible but I'm working on it. Quality seems nice, not as nice to me as the Sterlingwear. The Sterlingwear didn't feel "wooly", this one does. I do like the shoulders and lapel on the new coat better, no padding on the shoulders and lapel is smaller. Also thought the inside of the Sterlingwear was higher quality, just felt more detailed. This one isn't bad, but its just a think lining, nothing special. The new coats also feels much lighter, not as stiff as the Sterlingwear. Some may prefer this and maybe intially I do to, but the weight and stiffness of the Sterlingwear while maybe not as comfortable did feel higher quality. Also like that the Sterlingwear was made in the USA. Being from L.L. Bean I'm not worried about getting my money's worth cause I won't hesitate to send it back years later if I think they compromised quality, they are asking $270 for it so it would feel fair.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads