• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

gingerbread

Reaction score
Quick question about a Burberry Peacoat.

I have the opportunity to get this peacoat for under $500 brand new at an authorized dealer.

It's made in Italy, 90% wool 10% cashmere. I love the look of the fabric, it looks smooth and not too military-ish.

My only concern is that I have no experience with burberry products. Are they high quality/long lasting?

Also recently purchased a Kent CP6 brush, it's a cashmere brush but can I use it on something like this as well?

Will be posting the link to the peacoat below.

https://us.burberry.com/wool-cashmere-pea-coat-p40160931?search=true
I went into a Burberry store to see what they had in stock. There seems to be a difference between what is available online through Burberry.com, other non Burberry retailers, and in store.

I tried on a wool cashmere blend (I think 70% wool 30% cashmere) that was different than the one you are looking at. I think its retail was something like $1600. It was very soft and mid weight fabric. No clue on durability.

I also tried on a 100% wool peacoat with slightly different details that was $1100. Also different than the one you show. It was slightly thicker wool but not quite as soft. Still very nice. I actually preferred this one.

At $500 I probably would have bought either coat I tried on, but no way I would pay anything close to retail on these. There are too many great options out there.

I am still pretty confused as to why there are so many different styles that are slight variants at wildly different price points.

Anjuna

Reaction score
I've been meaning to get a peacoat for some time now. Been looking at Sterlingwear, Fidelity and Gloverall so far. Fidelity and Gloverall are easily found in EU, but to me Fidelity isn't quite right. I'd prefer 6 buttons (showing) and framed slash pockets. I had one Churchill reefer (which isn't technically a peacoat, I know), but it didn't fit right. Gloverall's big button reefer/admiralty cuold do, but it also has 8 buttons. The one that I've been eyeing for and the one I wish to buy is Sterlingwear Navigator, but duties and taxes to EU might be too much. However I wanted to know more about this "Mil-spec" Sterlingwear everyone seem to talk about, I tried emailing them about it during holidays but never got any answer. Are they still available, how much do they cost and how do they differ from Navigator? If the jacket is truly so good I might end up eating up the duties and taxes that add to around 30 % extra to the price. Thanks in advance if anyone bothers to answer!

E: Forgot to mention Schott, which I don't quite prefer because of reprocessed wool etc., I think I can get better quality for the price. Also, to me Schott is a leather jacket brand ;)

Last edited:

Peacoat

Reaction score
The Mil Spec is the same peacoat Sterlingwear makes for the U.S. Navy. It is the current issue peacoat. One of our members here has one, as well as a vintage peacoat, and likes both of them. He says they are equally warm. I will go back in my private messages and see if I can find his username so you can send him a message with any questions you have. I had a current issue peacoat, but gave it to a friend of mine who needed a warm coat for winter. He says it is the warmest coat he has ever had.

Sunstealer73

Reaction score
I have a current gen military coat too. It's very heavy and very warm.

Have you checked on eBay? That's where I found mine. It was unworn and still had the tags.

Peacoat

Reaction score

I have a current gen military coat too. It's very heavy and very warm.

Have you checked on eBay? That's where I found mine. It was unworn and still had the tags.

So exactly what is a "gen military coat?" Is it a current issue (1980 through current issue) or is it a vintage model (prior to 1980)? If you aren't sure about its date of contract/manufacture, see the dating guide linked below in my signature line.

Sunstealer73

Reaction score

Anjuna

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers! So the mil-spec is 100 % wool and is it 32 oz or 24 oz? What is the DSCP Sterlingwear one I keep seeing on ebay? Also, what tags do you use for searching on ebay for example "us navy peacoat" etc.?

Peacoat

Reaction score

Peacoat

Reaction score

You left out a word there, "current gen" as in current generation.  I posted pictures a couple of years ago in this thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/144305/...-all-peacoat-questions-here/5790#post_7501188
DSCP stands for Defense Supply Center Philadelphia. When you see this in the logo, along with "Sterlingwear," you know it is a current issue (since 1980) US Navy peacoat. I don't remember the weight, but it is the black Melton wool shell and not the more desirable Kersey wool. Melton is a lighter weight and not as dense of a weave as the Kersey. To make up for the lighter weight fabric, an insulated liner was added to make the Melton coats as warm as the Kersey coats.

Prior to 1980 the US Navy peacoats where made of the heavier Kersey material. In 1978 there were peacoats issued that were made of the Melton, but all of those that I have seen are plainly marked as such. Don't know if the liner was used in the 1978 contract.

When buying these coats online, be very wary of the date give by the seller; most don't have a clue as to the actual date.

If interested, and for more information on the vintage (prior to 1980) peacoats, see the link in my signature line below.

Anjuna

Reaction score
DSCP stands for Defense Supply Center Philadelphia. When you see this in the logo, along with "Sterlingwear," you know it is a current issue (since 1980) US Navy peacoat. I don't remember the weight, but it is the black Melton wool shell and not the more desirable Kersey wool. Melton is a lighter weight and not as dense of a weave as the Kersey. To make up for the lighter weight fabric, an insulated liner was added to make the Melton coats as warm as the Kersey coats.

Prior to 1980 the US Navy peacoats where made of the heavier Kersey material. In 1978 there were peacoats issued that were made of the Melton, but all of those that I have seen are plainly marked as such. Don't know if the liner was used in the 1978 contract.

When buying these coats online, be very wary of the date give by the seller; most don't have a clue as to the actual date.

If interested, and for more information on the vintage (prior to 1980) peacoats, see the link in my signature line below.
Wuold this one be legit US navy peacoat?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sterlingw...sh=item5442206805:g:GFIAAOSwnHZYhNQy#viTabs_0

I found another jacket with matched tags and used condition with someone's name and number on it, so I wuold think this is the real deal. However, I'm not sure what era this wuold be. Guessing it's somewhere between 2000-2010. I suppose that sleeve rank tag is removable without damaging the jacket?

peripatetisk

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a pea coat for next winter. I figured I'll do the research in good time so as to know exactly what I want. Part of that research has been reading through a large portion of this thread, as well as forum user "Peacoat":s excellent guide (thank you!).

I'd love to get a vintage navy pea coat but I think it'd be hard to find one that fits my frame. I'm 196cm tall (6"5'), [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]43" inch chest (eu size 142 jacket) 32" waist, and 96kg (210lbs) with a fairly athletic build. Nothing vintage has ever fitted me, so I'm wondering if it's at all feasible or if I should look to get something brand new instead like a sterlingwear? I'm all open to tailoring whatever's available, and my preference is towards a slim fit look. Land's end is a common suggestion for people of my stature, and perhaps sterlingwear with alterations made by a tailor? [/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]I'm very conscious about quality, and I'd prefer to pay a premium now for something that's built to last rather than to skimp on something that's been manufactured by cutting corners and will dissapoint me a few years from now. Is there anything in the line of made to order or bespoke pea coats that I should look into?[/COLOR]

Peacoat

Reaction score
A vintage peacoat is not for you. You will also have sleeve length problems.

See the discussion above your post about the "Mil Spec" peacoat. It is the highest quality new peacoat I am aware of. Sterlingwear will have tall sizes available, and you can get the sleeve lengths and overall length from the customer service person at the company. That coat won't be on the website; you will have to call them to get info. I think that will be your best bet if you can get one to fit.

As I remember, in the long sizes, there is an extra one inch in the sleeves and two inches in the torso. There probably is also and extra inch or two in the cuff that can be let out. I have done that before.

Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads