Meeting g/f's dad for the first time, what to wear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by avatar, Jun 20, 2007.

1. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

be yourself?

I think what he meant by this is be yourself in the way you dress.

2. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I didn't ask how to act, I asked what to wear. I'm pretty sure I am going to be myself...

Is black pants and a white shirt too contrasting? Should I go for blue instead?

It is too formal...

wear what you wear to visit your close friends or your family.

about clothes I'd say khakis and a nice button down shirt

3. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

seeing as how he used to hate you, if you overdress he will think you're a douchebag.

4. Leslierc

Leslierc Senior member

If you were the person who's currently seeing my daughter, I'd advise on wearing kevlar.

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Be natural.....Being overdress could mean that he will feel uncomfortable and patronized and the other hand ,being too casual could be analized or seen as a sign of lack of drive by some over-cautious dad.....
    Try to fish for information and to get a global picture of the man...
    Do not go over-friendly and over the top because you're going out with his little girl ,whatever age she actually is...
    Cow-boy boots? Good luck....
    In Europe ,if somebody turn up with boots like that ,we just run!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I didn't ask how to act, I asked what to wear. I'm pretty sure I am going to be myself... Is black pants and a white shirt too contrasting? Should I go for blue instead?
    Yeah - and I said be yourself. Stick to your own style. Wear whatever you personally wear when you're not wearing a suit. If he doesn't like you because you are wearing jeans instead of khakis - of vice versa - then I don't think you had much of a chance in the first place.

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

If you were the person who's currently seeing my daughter, I'd advise on wearing kevlar.

awesome [​IMG]

8. GBR

GBR Senior member

I've never met her dad before. He lives in California, and is in Chicago tomorrow for something. My g/f and I have been together for two years. He's taking us out for breakfast and to meet me for the first time. Initially, he didn't like me at all (without meeting me), though I was told this wore off.

She says a suit is not necessary. What should I wear?

If he can decide that he does not like you without having even met you then....

Ask your girlfriend what he will wear. If he is a lawyer and would wear a three piece suit on this occasion then wear a suit. If he is likely to wear a shirt and trousers, do that. You can easily over dress and either make him feel ill at ease or think that you are an eccentric/pillock if you wear a three piece and he would normally jeans and tee shirt.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

or something that wouldn't leave to many fibers in my car trunk.[​IMG]

10. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I would _not_ wear jeans. Jeans mean something different to the generation that calls them "dungarees." Wear chinos and a button down. people of a certain generation tend to think of jeans as work clothes, not social clothes. You've been warned.

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

everyone's over thinking this

just wear something clean and nice. Jeans, chinos, trousers, polo, buttonfront...whatever it is just makes sure it's clean, non distressed and not loud

You're 20 yrs old....you're going to get a lot of leeway for how you look at your age. Her dad isn't going to think "oh he's wearing DUNGAREES, what a philistine!"

12. Sator

Sator Senior member

There is a psychological technique called mirroring. It is a way of eliciting subconscious rapport from someone. Classically it involves mirroring someones body language eg if he folds your arms, you copy this. Try to mirror the dress of your GFs father and dress at the same level. If this means wearing cowboy boots or a three piece suit so be it.

13. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

everyone's over thinking this

just wear something clean and nice. Jeans, chinos, trousers, polo, buttonfront...whatever it is just makes sure it's clean, non distressed and not loud

You're 20 yrs old....you're going to get a lot of leeway for how you look at your age. Her dad isn't going to think "oh he's wearing DUNGAREES, what a philistine!"

I agree with this. As to what the dad will be thinking, it will be along the lines of this: "oh he's wearing dungarees, AND HE'S SLEEPING WITH MY DAUGHTER!" or "oh, he's wearing chinos, AND HE'S SLEEPING WITH MY DAUGHTER!" or "oh he's wearing a tuxedo, AND HE'S SLEEPING WITH MY DAUGHTER!"

14. username79

username79 Senior member

I would _not_ wear jeans. Jeans mean something different to the generation that calls them "dungarees." Wear chinos and a button down. people of a certain generation tend to think of jeans as work clothes, not social clothes. You've been warned.
    That is a generation before (or two, even) the father of a twenty year old girl. He'd be a baby boomer, and they don't think of jeans as "dungarees" worn by degenerates. My grandparents, for instance, wear jeans, but their parents would never have worn them to a social event. Definitely don't wear black pants and a white shirt, unless you are planning to take over from the waiter or attend a funeral afterwards. If it was me, I'd wear brown shoes, the kind of pants that Zanella makes with a more casual texture in a lighter color (I hope you know what I mean) and a blue OCBD.

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

don't wear cowboy boots, if you aren't a cowboy. If I wore cowbody boots for work, and some college kid who was banging my daughter showed up in cowbody boots, I wouldn't be impressed.