• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Meeting g/f's dad for the first time, what to wear?

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by capnpyro
If it were me, actually I've been in this situation, and my girlfriends dad is a regular blue collar kind of guy, I'd go with jeans and a nice button up with the sleeves rolled up and tennis shoes. I'd rather be able to easily associate with him than impress him with my smart loafers and matching pants and socks. It's true it's always better to over dress, but in this case I'd rather under dress, if he's a blue collar guy he'll be thinking 'douchebag' in his head over and over if you're dressed like you're going to a job interview. My recommendation obviously changes if you're in your 30's or 40's (I'm 26).

+1

I agree 100%

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do think his first reaction was the usual one based on the mourning of his little not so innocent anymore Daddy's girl with its loss of control and influence which can be difficult to deal with at the beginning...
Your main asset is also your main disadvantage in that case
biggrin.gif
istance...
He didn't bother you in your relationships with his daughter but he did have time to create his own perception of yourself...
To build a rapport with somebody ,you do need a certain level of intimacy and in that case a bit of male bonding...
You can go to a sports pub and a nice meal watching football ,hockey and whatever sports he does enjoy....
Try to find to start with what you do have in common and avoid politics and social affairs...
Fish for information concenring his tastes or lack of it ans sensibilities....
Advice: Win the Mum and you will always get the daughter...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I suggest wearing tails, this could also lead to some interesting wordplay if he asks why the hell you're wearing that. Have you ever visited the trunk of a car?

Just wear what you'd wear any other day (I'll take a guess and say jeans and a tee + sneaks), this does not apply if your usual outfit consists of electric blue leather pants and a tee that says "I'm a rockstar, show me your ****!". If that's your usual outfit just make an exception and wear clean jeans + plain tee + sneakers.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Oh and try not to be a fake asshole; but respect that his tastes my be different from yours. I certainly wouldn't wear a polo and some khakis while pretending I enjoy american football and drinking budweiser just to "bond" with someone's dad in some clichÃ
00a9.png
way.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fuuma got a point....You must share something you both enjoy.....
No point going to your local base-ball stadium if you hate the game because you will come across as calculationg and sneaky.....
But you do sleep with his daughter and that's hard to overcome ,believe me!!!!!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by avatar
All went well, friends.
redface.gif

Great.

But more importantly, what did you wear?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Great. But more importantly, what did you wear?
He's still alive! So it must be something decent. Congrats anyway. I remember the first time I met with my gf's dad. I wore a polo, jeans, and driving loafers; which are what I normally wear anyway. He offered me a beer.
smile.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hope the girlfriend in question is owth it!!!!!!!!!!!!
After that episode ,you are not going to dump her tomorrow!!!!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
I guess he didn't need my advice not to ask what brand of condoms Dad recommends.
He recommended Durex. I wore Shazor 8AB Diesels (I know, but I'm the resident Diesel guy...) - they're dark, bootcut, and not distressed/faded/etc, a light blue really lightweight button down with the sleeves rolled up, and brown A-E Thayers. I bought breakfast.
Originally Posted by lasbar
I hope the girlfriend in question is owth it!!!!!!!!!!!! After that episode ,you are not going to dump her tomorrow!!!!
It wasn't too bad. She is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads