• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Meeting g/f's dad for the first time, what to wear?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A decent Dad will always finish to accept a decent guy who really loves his daughter.....
bigstar[1].gif

Don't worry and be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

Next time ,let him pay for eveything
devil.gif

m_wave

Reaction score
I would er on the side of casual for this..

casual shoes, jeans, a fitted tee or a casual button down shirt..

you are only 20 afterall, I think it's best to try and dress how you normally would. People notice if you are uncomfortable with how you are dressed even if it's subliminal.

good luck
tongue.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everything went absolutely fine and he is now getting married tomorrow and moving down to Arnie's country very soon.....
bigstar[1].gif

Avatar ,you have to start drinking Bud and watch football now...

clam61

Reaction score
i guarantee if he is a blue collar guy he wont even notice what ur wearing unless its a clown suit

the trick is to somehow stop him from picturing you plow his daughter...then you're in the clear

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who said poetry has not dead?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My sister brought her American boyfriend over and introduced him to our folks. They stayed in my folk's place and he brought along this to wear:
fajfingr-10-5-2006.jpg
Still, in our blue collar background of a family, he was still welcomed, gorilla feet notwithstanding!
smile.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are a very open-minded and tolerant family!!!!!!!!!!
worship.gif

The guy must receive compulsary sartorial lessons....
On a more personal note,my sister would not be allowed to bring home someone wearing that kind of footwear! even if she is 50 years old and it's her hown house!!!!!!!!!!!
Is she dating Greystoke?????
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
!!!!!!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear whatever you normally wear. Don't set bad precedents of making people think that you're something that you're not.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fassbinder
I would recomend a stroller.

...but with a pink Homburg, just for a touch of color.

(UPDATE: If you wear glasses, a monocle woulnd't hurt, either...spruce things up a bit, you know?)

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
glad it worked out. I learned early on to be myself when meeting the parents and dress how I normally dress. The parents are going to focus on how you treat their daughter, whether you have a backbone, if you know how to act in public, etc. As long as you are good to their kid and aren't too much of an asshole, you should be fine.

My wife's dad is different than me in a lot of ways (i.e., education, financial status, etc), but at the end of the day, he is glad his baby is very happy and well taken care of and he has a grandchild he adores. Therefore, as long as I don't lay a hand on her (which is reasonable), he is fine with me and I with him.

Now my first wife, her dad I referred to as the ***** because he was a wimp around his wife. I could not respect him and therefore, any "advice" he gave fell on deaf ears.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do like this tee-shirt but i'm too old now to wear without looking creepy!!!!!!
bounce2.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads