• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

Old Red

Reaction score
Browsing around reading this and that this morning I came across a PS interview with a Simon from NYC. NYC Simon says, "But actually I find as I get older - I’m turning 50 this year - I can wear more interesting things." Almost twenty years his senior I think I'm wearing an orange bowtie to a concert next weekend.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are OTR/RTW suits with suspender buttons a rare thing?

How difficult would it be to ask an alteration tailor to add the buttons? What’s the process like? Is that a standard job or would I need to bring in my preferred suspenders as a reference?

I recall seeing someone recommend these, too. Anyone else have experience and would you use? Referring to “Albert Thurston portable suspenders buttons” or something similar.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How difficult would it be to ask an alteration tailor to add the buttons? What’s the process like? Is that a standard job or would I need to bring in my preferred suspenders as a reference?

I recall seeing someone recommend these, too. Anyone else have experience and would you use? Referring to “Albert Thurston portable suspenders buttons” or something similar.

Adding brace buttons is very easy.

The problem is most RTW pants are not cut with a rise to accommodate braces. Therefore, even with buttons they will likely not sit right / look funny / be uncomfortable.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks @ValidusLA forgot about the back and front rise factoring in. Makes sense. Sounds like I’m SOL for the time being. Still thinking about the pants just floating at the waist is appealing.

gimpwiz

Reaction score

The problem is most RTW pants are not cut with a rise to accommodate braces. Therefore, even with buttons they will likely not sit right / look funny / be uncomfortable.
Can you elaborate on this? My Thurston braces can adjust quite a bit, so I'm not sure what the wrong vs right cut is.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All my older Phineas cole come with suspender button, though they were definitely not cut with suspender in mind, so other than pulling front up a bit (so a bit cleaner maybe) doesn’t really do anything other than being decorative

was not uncomfortable but definitely wasn’t doing the “right” job

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you like H.N. White's grenadines, and ties in general? I really like the striped patterns they have available at the moment.

View attachment 1920319

Pretty nice, this one. I love grenadine ties in all patterns, they are my absolute favourites.

My problem with current ready to wear ties is the small width, as I prefer 9,5/10 cm.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks @ValidusLA forgot about the back and front rise factoring in. Makes sense. Sounds like I’m SOL for the time being. Still thinking about the pants just floating at the waist is appealing.

Can you elaborate on this? My Thurston braces can adjust quite a bit, so I'm not sure what the wrong vs right cut is.

All my older Phineas cole come with suspender button, though they were definitely not cut with suspender in mind, so other than pulling front up a bit (so a bit cleaner maybe) doesn’t really do anything other than being decorative

was not uncomfortable but definitely wasn’t doing the “right” job

First, any tailor can add the buttons, it is an easy job, six buttons around the inside of the waistband.

I do not understand much of the conversation after that. Ideally, trousers with braces are higher rise, and loose around the waist, so they sort of float.... the bracers hold them up. However, you can add brace button to really any trousers to hold them up. I have added button to several suit and odd trousers that are definitely in the "mid to low" rise cut, and find wearing braces with them still more comfortable than wearing a belt, even if the pants are not the ideal cut for braces... YMMV

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most trousers made without brace buttons are made with a belt in mind.
Most trousers made with a belt in mind are not cut to float around waist, but to be cinched somewhere (likely lower).
Most RTW trousers are not high rise. Might when be low rise.

You can put braces on decoratively, but if you actually use them to brace up a pair of low rise trousers, all you are doing is cosplaying while annihilating your balls.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most trousers made without brace buttons are made with a belt in mind.
Most trousers made with a belt in mind are not cut to float around waist, but to be cinched somewhere (likely lower).
Most RTW trousers are not high rise. Might when be low rise.

You can put braces on decoratively, but if you actually use them to brace up a pair of low rise trousers, all you are doing is cosplaying while annihilating your balls.

Agree on point 1 and 2.

But on points 3 and 4, bracers can be adjusted longer, to hold any trousers at the right height, thus holding them up, without cinching a belt (more comfortable IMHO) or crushing any balls (I've not had this issue with any trousers held up with braces) ..... as I said, YMMV.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, Fox Brothers is having an Archive Sale with items left over from their physical sale in the UK. Picked up a pair of their Cricket White flannel trousers for half-off. They almost never have sales so these might be desperate times or just stockroom-clearing. Anyway, lots of coats, jackets, blankets, shirts and other stuff on deep sale.

Total impulse purchase for me as I already have a pair from Berg & Berg. Couldn't resist.

Link came via email. Wil try to post here.

https://themerchantfox.us19.list-ma...65fe0702cbf46891ac&id=4ec4558426&e=9fe9e33bd3

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve contacted a local shop for MTM since. I see both sides of the conversations though and it’s all gos to know.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if it's not cut floating it just doesn't do much other than decorative, I don't think it hurts my ball but it definitely not doing much to make things fall clean (90% of my trouser are medium to low raise and I rarely wear belt as 99% of my suit are with side tab and ~60% of my odd trouser are with side tab as well)

edit: and yea adding suspender button is a cheap simple alteration

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, Fox Brothers is having an Archive Sale with items left over from their physical sale in the UK. Picked up a pair of their Cricket White flannel trousers for half-off. They almost never have sales so these might be desperate times or just stockroom-clearing. Anyway, lots of coats, jackets, blankets, shirts and other stuff on deep sale.

Total impulse purchase for me as I already have a pair from Berg & Berg. Couldn't resist.

Link came via email. Wil try to post here.

https://themerchantfox.us19.list-ma...65fe0702cbf46891ac&id=4ec4558426&e=9fe9e33bd3

You beat me to it.

Was wondering to myself, which “lounge gown” is Smitty going to kop? ;)

In all seriousness, by the I logged in, I didn’t find anything of interest (guess I mess the blankets and cloth offerings)

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Okay, which one of you is this, climbing up 4000 meters in a suit?

https://i.redd.it/iotpghazoopa1.jpg
1679680902538.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads