• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not one to repeat the same outfit all the time, but I do tend towards a few common themes. And one of those is that practically everything I own looks smashing with black shoes.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I like pairing a light grey suit with a pair of dark navy suede oxfords from Rider Boot. That's the only really bold shoe/suit combo that I wear.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
The discussion of oxfords and tan shoes has me second-guessing a few things. I wear suits five days a week and tan or light gray suits 2-3 days per week in the summer. I’ve generally worn them with brown oxfords, tan long wing bluchers, or oxblood brogues. Recently, bought a pair of walnut Barletts (similar to the Strand, but from Allen Edmonds’ defunct Independence line) and a pair of burgundy shell split toe bluchers.

Although I never wore tan or oxblood shoes with very dark suits, I’m now more cognizant of brightly colored shoes calling attention to themselves, and being too loud or warm for the rest of my outfit. If there are only so many occasions on which to wear them well, then it sounds as if they would be redundant to the shoes I already own, and I may not wear them as often as I thought I would when I ordered them.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The discussion of oxfords and tan shoes has me second-guessing a few things. I wear suits five days a week and tan or light gray suits 2-3 days per week in the summer. I’ve generally worn them with brown oxfords, tan long wing bluchers, or oxblood brogues. Recently, bought a pair of walnut Barletts (similar to the Strand, but from Allen Edmonds’ defunct Independence line) and a pair of burgundy shell split toe bluchers.

Although I never wore tan or oxblood shoes with very dark suits, I’m now more cognizant of brightly colored shoes calling attention to themselves, and being too loud or warm for the rest of my outfit. If there are only so many occasions on which to wear them well, then it sounds as if they would be redundant to the shoes I already own, and I may not wear them as often as I thought I would when I ordered them.

Perhaps I should say here that what I dislike is the pairing of walnut/tan oxfords with very dark suits or trousers. They can definitely look good with lighter versions of these and with the tan/light grey suits you mentioned, in my opinion.

With darker suits, I just don't like the tan very much in comparison with other options like burgundy, black, or dark brown. It's probably not even so bad as long as the look doesn't end up like this:

tumblr_oofpd2Eiyk1qa2j8co7_r1_540.jpg

Nbarbar

Reaction score

94EA4DA1-9BF1-4122-84C3-42CCBD83EF98.jpeg

this is not a desirable outcome.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been doing grand jury duty for the past two and a half weeks and there are way too many tan shoes on the male ADAs. I think I counted like 2 black pairs of shoes (one derby one oxford) and one dark brown and one med brown. All the others were tan. I know it's not in actual court but the contrast against a navy suit is just bad.
Wouldn't this be considered 'contempt of the Court' in USA?

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update on that. It’s actually been better since I made original post. There was a day where it was black or dark brown shoes on males. There was one ADA who came in cowboy boots, though.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score

the walnut strands are really a tough shoe to pair. I have a pair of Alden’s in the same look, and they don’t get much play in the rotation. They are a bit standoutish for my more casual outfits. I don’t wear many light suits (I have an Irish complexion so the tan/light grey is not always the best choice). The igent rules nerds say they can’t be worn with anything but grey, so it really leaves them in a tough spot (not that I take igent rules nerds seriously, they are more for comic relief).

wear them with shades of blue. Not as your go to uninform, but as a change of pace look.
The igent rules nerds say that it attracts too much attention to the shoes therefor against the rules, but I actually think it’s such a popular combo (among real people on the street, not igent rules nerds) because it makes the blue in the suit itself pop.

I’m not as big a fan of the cognac/walnut shoe with the lighter grey suits. Not a rule I am making up like an igent, but just a preference. I think more traditional shades of brown compliment those greys better.

E5D0BA24-4BB1-4313-BAEF-FBAAF03F461F.jpeg

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I don’t know that I would put oxblood in the same category as tan in terms of a shoe that draws attention to itself. Oxblood is pretty deep red, not like that burgundy/mahogany/ AE chili color. Almost like a dark chocolate with more red meets black tones than the a more cherry/Hermès red type shoe that would pop a bit more.

A dark pair of oxblood oxfords can be a great addition toone’s rotation.

these are the “reds” in my collection. I would probably only classify the whole cut as oxblood. I would call the cap toe a burgundy and the brogued wing tip mahogany

D6E64F9D-8A8C-43F9-83DD-5D246930F616.jpeg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Elasticated waist trousers for casual wear, people. Discuss.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Casual as in with sneakers or casual as in the business casual of shirt and trousers no jacket? I’m fine with both tbh but would prefer that drawstring are on the inside of waistband.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Casual as in with sneakers or casual as in the business casual of shirt and trousers no jacket? I’m fine with both tbh but would prefer that drawstring are on the inside of waistband.

Not necessarily sneakers, but more like linen for summer use. It seems like an elastic kind of waist would be more comfortable than either tightly-fitting seats or belts. Probably worn with a short-sleeved shirt or seasonal jacket/loafers.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elasticated waist trousers for casual wear, people. Discuss.

Casual around the house or casual out and about?

The unfortunate truth is that they are probably going to become more and more popular in both for reasons of 1) expanding western waists and 2) complete trend focus on casualization and comfort.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads