• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can't decide between Gaziano & Girling Canterbury in shell cordovan or Edward Green Shannons in coffee suede. Anyone have thoughts?

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can't decide between Gaziano & Girling Canterbury in shell cordovan or Edward Green Shannons in coffee suede. Anyone have thoughts?

Didn't you just get a pair of Shannons? Why not get a suede shoe?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I did, but it's dark oak antique calf. I really like it and now think I want another.

The question I suppose is - which would look best with grey flannel trousers and tweed jackets?

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I always go with suede if I'm on the fence. Though both materials are on the casual side of the spectrum, the added texture of suede always sets off an outfit, IMO. I also usually only like corodvan for loafers. The rolls created by wearing strike me as odd on a formal shoe (or formal boot).

I would issue a warning about though suede pull tabs, though. I've read many horror stories about suede tabs being pulled off or wearing very poorly. I think it was Fok who said that AS won't put suede pull tabs on any of their boots anymore, even MTO, because of this.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I did, but it's dark oak antique calf. I really like it and now think I want another.

The question I suppose is - which would look best with grey flannel trousers and tweed jackets?

Suede Dovers?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The rolls created by wearing strike me as odd on a formal shoe (or formal boot).

I would issue a warning about though suede pull tabs, though. I've read many horror stories about suede tabs being pulled off or wearing very poorly. I think it was Fok who said that AS won't put suede pull tabs on any of their boots anymore, even MTO, because of this.

I was unsure about the waviness of shell on a formal shoe as well, but somehow when I think tweed jacket and flannel trous, shell dress boots seem like they'd look better than suede? Would suede just add too much texture? Regarding the suede pull tabs, are you saying fabric pull tabs then?

Suede Dovers?

I'm ordering a pair of those as well, but figured maybe I should get another dress boot on top.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would definitely get the cordovan. I love the way it looks on bal boots. Looks great with flannel, I think even better with donegal (and significantly better than suede with donegal IMHO). I don't have any cordovan boots but they are somewhere in my future. Def the next boot I will get.

I'd rather get suede dovers and cordovan boots than suede boots and calf dovers.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure what the complication is with suede tabs, I just remember reading here (and elsewhere) that they are less than ideal. Never having owned a pair of suede boots with tabs, I can't speak to it myself.

I kind of tend to agree with unbel regarding the Donegal factor. While I love the combination of mid-grey flannel and peanut butter suede (I'm wearing that combo right now, in fact), I think it may be a bit at odds with a Donegal and may, to your point, add a bit too much texture.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shell boots looks so good with flannel trousers. I've been wearing that combo pretty much every day it's cold enough.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I kind of tend to agree with unbel regarding the Donegal factor. While I love the combination of mid-grey flannel and peanut butter suede (I'm wearing that combo right now, in fact), I think it may be a bit at odds with a Donegal and may, to your point, add a bit too much texture.

Given the distance, I'm not sure how the texture of the jacket impacts that of the shoe and vice versa.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Likely my over-thinking. But for some reason I see a cigar shell cordovan going better with Donegal than peanut butter suede in terms of the overall tones of the outfit. Though, to your point, I'm sure both would look good.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Given the distance, I'm not sure how the texture of the jacket impacts that of the shoe and vice versa.

I don't even **** with certain environments if it clashes with what I'm wearing. Dark skinned people coming up to me? Not when I'm wearing charcoal, brotha.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads