• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why does sf hate tassel loafer?

My mom really hates tassel loafers, but she doesn't post on here. I think of them as filling almost the same niche as dubmonks -- that wide middle range of formality. Maybe the tons of love for monks steals away the attention?

I'd wear the right pair of tassels a hell of a lot. I have a pair of black ones that I wear because my service industry job requires me to wear black shoes, and a pair of super tacky moc croc Florsheims that lost a tassel at some point. A really classic pair would be great.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have those shoes. I really like them.

Last edited:

Dewi

Reaction score
Which ones are those, D? I'm a fan, and have been looking to fill that very gap in my shoe line up.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
C&J for Barney's New York. Same as their Canvadish model, but the suede is slightly less red.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kind of like cuff links?

Cuff links hold a cuff closed. That style of cuff doesn't exactly work without them. Little dongles on a shoe? Not so much.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know if you can reduce style and design to just functionality. What's the point of a pocket square? What's the point of a tie? What's the point of a boutonniere? What's the point of a penny strap? What's the point of a split toe? What's the point of a beveled waist? You could go on forever.

E TF

Reaction score
Yeah, why don't we all just wear onesies and have done with it.

E TF

Reaction score
Also, I've always assumed that the tassels did serve some sort of purpose once upon a time - they are connected to the strip of leather that runs round the bottom of your ankle, which once you would have pulled on to tighten, like a lace (you get the same thing - still functional - on boat shoes). At some point the laces gained tassels on their ends, because, you know, life's too short not to have tassels - or maybe they were to stop the knot slipping or undoing, or to stop the lace ends from fraying?. Those "string" loafers from Carmina that the Armoury sell I imagine as a bit of a throw back to an earlier stage in the tassel loafer's evolution.

Sometimes you see otherwise normally-laced derbies with tiny little tassels on the ends of the laces too (not my cup of tea personally), and they are also de riguer with traditional ghillies under you kilt (if you've ever worn a kilt, you may well ask what is the point of trousers?)

From leffot -

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with tassels done well. They are an affectation, true, but so is most of what we do.

Granted, I don't own any tassel loafers, but I definitely don't have anything against them when done well. Spoo does them well (usually... :D).

Ivar

Reaction score
As with ascots and colorful socks, I find tassel loafers much too chichi for normal wear. They sometimes look fine on the extravagant dresser, however: Spoo's pairing above (with the clown pants and bare ankles) being a good example.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tassels are fun, if you're going for a certain transatlantic type of look. I have a pair of dark brown calf tassels that don't get particularly frequent use, but it's almost always enjoyable use when they do come out to play.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore them in the first half of the eighties. In black and navy IIRC. With a "college shawl", polo shirts, cardigans and plaid trousers. :embar:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads