1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Inquiring minds want to know...

I guess it's easier if you wear suits everywhere except to bed (don't want to mess up to trouser creases...).

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a sleep suit. A wet suit for the shower.

3. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

JFK disagrees with me too :)

4. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Not sure why you'd go SNS for your only rollneck sweater - seems so, well, at odds with the stuff you seem to wear... Especially in black...

Why not a simple black or charcoal cashmere or merino rollneck?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  5. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah, no way Greg doesn't have something you need.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Carson Street Clothiers - they are one of our affiliate vendors, and they have a pretty good selection of S.N.S. Herning: http://www.styleforum.net/t/362494/carson-street-clothiers-official-affiliate-thread/

7. patrickBOOTH

It is a good question actually^ At first I was thinking of a thinner merino roll neck, but then people brought up SNS, which looks quite nice. I thought that the chunkier sweaters might be a little more forgiving of the lumps and bumps of my body. Mind you I only plan to wear with jeans (I know, I know) and not with a jacket or anything.

[​IMG]

8. gdl203

LOL

We actually don't have a black rollneck...

But yeah, I'd go with colors and melanges for the chunky SNS personally, and stay away from black. I feel that you won't achieve anything like the Warhol look with a chunky sweater (and I have a profound love for chunky sweaters)

9. patrickBOOTH

Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren (Black and Purple Label) have them, but I like the idea of getting something a little more "authentic" if you know what I mean.

10. gdl203

Thick rollneck gonna look and feel like :

[​IMG][​IMG]

Medium weight merino/cash rollneck gonna look and feel like ;

[​IMG][​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. patrickBOOTH

I like he thick one. I think I pretty much know exactly where you live based on your fit pics.

12. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Greg, is that medium-weight one by Scott & Charters?

13. gdl203

The green one above here is MMM, the charcoal one is S&C

1 person likes this.
  14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I've tried turtlenecks, and they have never worked for me. I looked photoshopped. A loose mock neck, more like a crewneck with more height, does work for me - I have a decade+ old Burberry Prorsum one that I use occasionally in the winter. That said, I've never tried a really chunky turtleneck, just the thin ones.

So, spitballing here, but if you guys wanted to see presales and sample sales from any brand from Europe (we are thinking Milan, Paris, or Antwerp based, for the most part) or the US, on Styleforummarket.com, who would be on that list, and would you be more interested in sample sales or presales, or both?

Cheers,

Fok.

15. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I wore my chunky Submariner roll-neck from North Sea Clothing on Sunday, going to the movies. Substantial enough to fill in for fall outer wear.

I'm not a fan of the finer Smedley like knits anymore (though I had a nice charcoal one from Pringles of Scotland over 20 years ago; quality was excellent but the fit was rather roomy).

I wouldn't mind something in between that one and the Submariner, in terms og chunkiness/fineness. The one recently posted by Vox (John Laing cashmere) looks good.

16. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Just as a follow up, the pants turned out great. Minors things but overall I am happy.

The jacket I am less so. Realized that no adjustments were made to the right sleeve, only the left. I have a dropped right shoulder. Since the jacket has working button cuffs and I forgot to ask about adjusting from the shoulder, the sleeves are aesthetically unbalanced now. The right cuff buttons sit higher than the left, and the left buttons are very close to the sleeve hem by two to three centimeters. I cannot tell if the tailor trimmed the sleeve or rolled it up and stitched it down. I hope the latter as I will bring it to another shop this weekend to ask for them to adjust the sleeve length from the shoulder.

Sort of my mistake since I did not ask for it. I am starting to realize that if you are not specific enough about the type of work done, you cannot go in assuming the tailor can read your mind. The working buttons also do not make it an easy adjustment. I'm in a pinch anyways so it will have to do for tomorrow.

What sort of irked me was that the tailor offered to adjust the sleeves a bit more after seeing me try it on. He noticed length-balance issue. He did the job on the spot and afterwards I took a look at the handwork done by hand and was a bit put off. Compared to the right sleeve that had no work done, the left looks really misshapen (the lining does not look flush with the fabric). I guess this is what you call artisanal. :rimshot: :foo:

17. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Mulling over purchasing a pair of suede Jodhpurs. As it stands now I wear my snuff suede chukkas in a number of instances, ranging from jeans to chinos to odd wool trousers. I'm thinking that a pair of suede Jodhpurs will have a similar versatility. However, each time I get close to pulling the trigger I back down thinking they are a bit too feminine or because I'm worried they won't be as versatile as I imagine.

Wondering if anyone here owns a pair(s) and can weigh in on their versatility/how they wear them. I really like the idea of the boot, but not sure (given my hesitance in purchasing them) that they will actual make it into my regular rotation. I don't need another pair of >$500 shoes that get worn once a quarter.

If it helps I would wear them in Fall/Winter/early Spring with casual (jeans/cords, sweater, jacket/SC) or business casual (odd trou and odd jacket) rigs.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  18. patrickBOOTH

I like them personally, but like you said, they are pretty casual, I don't think I would wear them with a suit, or even dressier casual, but how about suede chelsea boots you can wear those with anything?

19. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I'm sure it will draw the ire of many, but I've never been a huge fan of Chelsea boots. For some reason I think of them as a bit too "Mod," which I know is ridiculous. I just have a mental block. I think my interest in jodhpurs is as close as I'll ever get to Chelseas.

(I'm awaiting the hellfire of Doc Holiday)

To your point about them being casual, I have seen/tried on a few pairs with particularly chiseled/sleek lasts that strike me as a bit more on the formal side. Again, I wouldn't go full-Agnelli and rock them with a suit, but dark brown suede with salt-and-pepper flannels and a navy SC seems like a solid combo. And then, obviously, they make sense in a casual, jeans and button-down setting.

20. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

How about Luciano Barbera samples? They have beautiful scarves and knitwear. Not sure about samples since they most often seem to be size 40/50 because I need 42/52.