• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up these vintage frames that would have looked wrong with anything but tinted lenses. They're something like 60% amber. I wear them at night, but I only ever go places where it's ok to wear sunglasses at night, anyway. I've found that I only like myself when I'm wearing these.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Overcoat musings: Was looking at an overcoat from Paul Stuart and think it's actually a Pvt White VC coat. I didn't know PS used them. I ordered a similar coat from The Rake x Pvt White. It fit TTS in the shoulders and sleeves but was as baggy as a circus tent from the chest down. Here's a pic:

View attachment 1327316

Anyway, I returned it as the fit was awful. It was marked down from $1100 to $550 if I remember correctly. Paul Stuart's version is $2k marked down to $780. If I'm right they are basically the same coat but with major price differences assuming the fabric is at the same level. Here are two versions from Paul Stuart.

not sure about this coat, but Paul Stuart usually specify better fabric (similar to samuelsohn vs Paul Stuart suit)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure about this coat, but Paul Stuart usually specify better fabric (similar to samuelsohn vs Paul Stuart suit)
You're likely correct. It's in stock here in DC. I may go check it out. Not that I really need more outerwear, though!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those two coats just look like regular bal coats. They may be made at PWVC, I don't know. But "fitting like a tent" and the general styling of those coats are just in line with being bal coats.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those two coats just look like regular bal coats. They may be made at PWVC, I don't know. But "fitting like a tent" and the general styling of those coats are just in line with being bal coats.
Not sure if these were normal or exaggerated in size. It felt wearing a Batman cape.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure if these were normal or exaggerated in size. It felt wearing a Batman cape.

Bal coats are supposed to fit like capes. The original ones were worn by officers in the Prussian Army, so they fit like military outerwear (which also feel oversized for many civilians today). Later, the style was used for wearing over country clothes in Scotland. They were cut big so they could be worn over many layers of clothes, but still allow for comfortable movement

A 1930s depiction of a bal coat

1950s:

And an Oxxford one from the 1990s. You can see how generous it is in the chest and sleeves. This is despite it being layered over a shirt, cardigan, and tweed jacket.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bal coats are supposed to fit like capes. The original ones were worn by officers in the Prussian Army, so they fit like military outerwear (which also feel oversized for many civilians today). Later, the style was used for wearing over country clothes in Scotland. They were cut big so they could be worn over many layers of clothes, but still allow for comfortable movement

A 1930s depiction of a bal coat

1950s:

And an Oxxford one from the 1990s. You can see how generous it is in the chest and sleeves:
Thanks! I guess I just don't like baggy fitting CM. Would probably be better suited for Northern climates so no surprise it took off in Scotland.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yea not my aesthetics either...

To me the only one look semi decent is the camoshita one (more A line if you button from the top) but then you can’t full button (otherwise looks like a tent) which to me defeat the purpose for outwear...

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@smittycl I picked up a bal coat a couple of weeks ago. Fits very full and loose. Will take getting used to, assuming I keep it. Admittedly, there are more flattering coats out there and that I own. So we will see.

@clee1982 I agree Camoshita makes a nice bal coat (I find most Camoshita clothing rather boring; the bal, an exception). I regret not buying one from Carson Street Clothiers (RIP) several years ago.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the cut, fit, and fabric of this Stile Latino coat. I prefer coats to be roomy enough to fit over tailoring but not too baggy.

33B5802D-A15C-41A8-952A-D0462A900719.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait till you guys see the Drake’s balmacaan. It’ll probably be eye-wateringly expensive, but man. It’s good.
I actually liked the green one from last season but missed out on it. Am looking forward to seeing the coat you mentioned this fall!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads