• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Math Problem taking the Internet by storm

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The answer has got to be 2 because the result of the 9+3 that is 12 is still in brackets or parentheses and so has to be resolved first, before the division is done. IMHO

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
48/24

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deandbn
The answer has got to be 2 because the result of the 9+3 that is 12 is still in brackets or parentheses and so has to be resolved first, before the division is done. IMHO 48/2(9+3) 48/2(12) 48/24 2
Lol what? I thought Parentheses only referred to the issue inside the brackets, not next to it, so in the case of PEMDAS multiplication and division are equal going from left to right. I was taught that y(x) just refers multiplication in PEMDAS, not parentheses, and can be simply rewritten as y*x. 48÷2*(9+3) The parentheses only serves to tell you that 9+3 should be multiplied first, not that their products should be multiplied by 2 (otherwise you are doing division/multiplication from right to left). I understand that it's poorly written, but I don't understand why people think just because a number is next to a parentheses that it's multiplication is given a higher priority than everything that comes before it. 48÷2(9+3) =/= 48÷(2(9+3)). It doesn't seem that complicated. Or am I missing something? For those whose saying it's poorly written, it's not, it's perfectly clear.
eh.gif
The only thing I can think is that there's kind of a knee jerk reaction to multiply out parentheses first due to simplifying algebraic equations. Google seems to agree

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
y(x) just refers multiplication in PEMDAS, not parentheses, and can be simply rewritten as y*x.

+1 if i had to answer. Mind you, its called BEDMAS.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deandbn
The answer has got to be 2 because the result of the 9+3 that is 12 is still in brackets or parentheses and so has to be resolved first, before the division is done. IMHO 48/2(9+3) 48/2(12) 48/24 2
Actually, forget my last post, here's a much simpler explanation. 1÷2(12) = 1÷24

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Actually, forget my last post, here's a much simpler explanation.

1/2(12) = 1/24

Unless the 1/2 is distributed within the brackets.

People who think the answer is 2 think an airplane on a treadmill can't take off.

asdf

Reaction score
there is no ambiguity.

you do the parentheses first; i don't think anyone disagrees. now you are left with a string of multiplication/division operators which are treated equally under BEDMAS and calculated, in order, left-right.
...gives you 288.

to reiterate: no ambiguity.

Hop

Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

This math problem is spawning 100 page debates on every forum Ive been to...

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone posting an answer or response is an ignorant ****. (my poast included)*(9+3)/12=
ffffuuuu.gif

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hop
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

This math problem is spawning 100 page debates on every forum Ive been to...

I haven't seen brother turn against brother this viciously since the "great taste / less filling" debates of the '80s.

*#..

Reaction score
How I see this problem is you can redistribute the 2 back into the parentheses. Hence, you'll get: 48÷2(9+3) 48÷(18+6) 48÷(24) 2 There's this property called the "distributive property" that a lot of those people on the physics forum forgot which is just
ffffuuuu.gif
Remember back in algebra, you could factor out a 2 in an equation like: (2x+2) 2(x+1) Same concept, you just have a number (18) instead of a variable (x). The way it's written is not sloppy at all - most people have just forgotten the basic properties of elementary algebra. Why someone would factor out a 2 from (18+6) is beyond me, but you can do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads