• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Master's degree in economics

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it a useful degree? Or is a PhD required for real proficiency? Just curious.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At certain schools it's seen as a booby prize, ie the guys who were weeded out of the phd program.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good call on Mankiw's blog. Forgot about that section. I really don't want to go to law school but that's probably the only medium through which I could practice econ. I'm just not a big quant type, could never do a Ph.D. in econ.

I guess an MPA/MPP is possible too. You can concentrate on budget/economic policy.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Good call on Mankiw's blog. Forgot about that section. I really don't want to go to law school but that's probably the only medium through which I could practice econ. I'm just not a big quant type, could never do a Ph.D. in econ.

Go study something useful.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Hilarious that all along Conne has said he wants to get into the workforce and have experience before doing anything like more schooling.
But now that he can't find the exact job he wants, he's all about exploring grad school.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I see teaching in Conne's future. After a period of introspection and resentment towards a world that doesn't care for his liberal arts degree, he'll head towards the optimal profession that can provide a laid back lifestyle, a salary tit to cling to, and a safe haven for his self satisfaction regarding his contribution to society.

Milpool

Reaction score
Talk to people that do the job you want. Find out if the degree is required/necessary NOT if it is "useful". If you can get along fine without it. . . don't waste your money (opportunity cost to time as well).

If you aren't interested in "quant" why would you study econ at the graduate level???

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a masters degree in urban and regional planning but also a graduate certificate in economics. My graduate studies in economics focused on statistics and econometrics. If you are more interested in the theory side of economics, you would probably be better off just going straight to a PhD program because you will have a lot more exposure to it there and have more leeway and time to tailor your courses to fit what you like.

As far as is one required over the other for real proficiency? Not in my experience. It just seems that those with the PhD are usually interested in vastly different sides of the field than those with a masters.

I haven't looked at the numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if economics is also one of those quirky disciplines where those with a PhD earn significantly less than those with just a masters (because many of the folks with a masters stick with working in banking, investments, insurance and other private sector places while the PhDs gravitate towards the lower paying fields of academia and the world of think tanks and non-profits).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Is it a useful degree? Or is a PhD required for real proficiency? Just curious.

You realize math is involved?
laugh.gif

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I guess an MPA/MPP is possible too. You can concentrate on budget/economic policy.

If you go MPA/MPP, make sure you choose the right one. They're often perceived as much more similar than they are, and you'll be much happier if you choose the right one for your specific goals.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You realize math is involved?
laugh.gif

doee he even know what an intergral looks like?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Hilarious that all along Conne has said he wants to get into the workforce and have experience before doing anything like more schooling. But now that he can't find the exact job he wants, he's all about exploring grad school.
No dumbass, I'm not talking about immediately going. This is a further-down-the-road thing.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
No dumbass, I'm not talking about immediately going. This is a further-down-the-road thing.

Unless you are a very good quant intrinsically, there is no "further-down-the-road" in regards to this. Higher math is one of those things that normal mortals must come prepped for by age 20 or so. After that, the neural pahways are just not elastic enough to allow a person to really internalize certain things, things required for a good Ph.D. in Econ. While I mock the hell out of Etienne, I secretly admire his smarts and wish I had not come to higher education later in life.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good point Pio. Who am I kidding, I suck at math. Econ is just a pipe dream for me.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads