• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maserati as Daily Driver.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My apologies for being so critical but veiling the statement "I have so much money that I can afford to pay for the parts and hire a mechanic to keep an antique exotic running as my daily driver" as a question like this seems egotistic, if not patronizing. Practical? Yes, yes. Fine choice. If you decide against it maybe try the Corolla.
sarcasm.gif

Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
I dream of getting a new Quattroprte for a daily driver, but the expense of this proposition in Tokyo is prohibitive.

Tokyo? S K Y L I N E.

Grass always looks greener I guess.

Blenheimer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Given your name, are you a fan of fine Bristol Motorcars?

This looks like a nice alternative to the Maserati:

http://www.racecar.co.uk/andrewblow/...l&VehicleID=78

I am indeed. This 405 looks remarkably similar to the one owned and popularized by Paul Smith on his range of accessories.

Now for a subtle blend of Bristishness and Italian panache, let me suggest the Bristol 407 Zagato.

1960bristol407gtzritz3zq.jpg

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Behold this beauty:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Maser...15393666QQrdZ1

I'd choose my colors and send it straight to the restorer.

I can't help but imagine the history of that Maser.

Someone could take that car, restore it gradually and develop a movie around it--"The Yellow Rolls Royce"-- by going backwards in time, until it was completely fresh and new.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you feel a Maserati 3500GT would make a practical daily driver?

Do you have the faintest idea what it takes in terms of funds, time and effort to keep up a 40-plus year old Italian car ? Also, have you ever dealt with Italian part suppliers ?
devil.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over the years I've had several old cars but never as a daily driver. Generally speaking, they aren't very dependable and when they crap out they usually require a lenghty downtime.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
Do you have the faintest idea what it takes in terms of funds, time and effort to keep up a 40-plus year old Italian car ? Also, have you ever dealt with Italian part suppliers ?
devil.gif

Yes, I do actually.
smile.gif
They're like more expensive English cars.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Maserati mentioned in the thread has a rusty frame and pan.
It would make a good donor car, or put the body on a new frame and drive train.

For a daily driver any old Maser or Lancia with a decent frame and running gear can take a small V-6.

With alot less money than a restoration you can get a car with soul, power and dependability.

Check this out. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2212996

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
The Maserati mentioned in the tread has a rusty frame and pan. It would make a good donor car, or put the body on a new frame and drive train. For a daily driver any old Maser or Lancia with a decent frame and running gear can take a small V-6. With alot less money than a restoration you can get a car with soul, power and dependability. Check this out. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2212996
Alfa Romeo GTVs are fantastic cars although a V8 seems a bit bastardized. It seems to me that a good Bristol might be a compromise between arcane style and practicality, with a somewhat cheaper price to boot.

Blenheimer

Reaction score
105 Series GTV + V8, that's the basic equation for the Alfa Montreal.

The engine is not extraordinarily powerful by modern standards but the direct link with the Alfa 33 racing cars gives it a nice touch of pedigree.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alfa Romeo GTVs are fantastic cars although a V8 seems a bit bastardized.

It seems to me that a good Bristol might be a compromise between arcane style and practicality, with a somewhat cheaper price to boot.

Just an example.
I like the car but I would have left the body and interior left in their original state.

I owned an Alfa , they are wonderful except for the mechanicals.
Everything else is great.

The Bristol is the height of understated English design, with American power.
The 411 is my favorite

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blenheimer
105 Series GTV + V8, that's the basic equation for the Alfa Montreal.

The engine is not extraordinarily powerful by modern standards but the direct link with the Alfa 33 racing cars gives it a nice touch of pedigree.

That's pretty badass.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
My apologies for being so critical but veiling the statement "I have so much money that I can afford to pay for the parts and hire a mechanic to keep an antique exotic running as my daily driver" as a question like this seems egotistic, if not patronizing. Practical? Yes, yes. Fine choice. If you decide against it maybe try the Corolla.
sarcasm.gif

Tokyo? S K Y L I N E.

Grass always looks greener I guess.

You're a snot in reverse.
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads