1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mad Men Season 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by fwiffo, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

2. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Ace I remember Roger saying a few time "the War, my War, not your War" to Don. So I think he was in WW1. Could have been drafted when he was a teenager and that would still make sense with the show and him being in his mid 60s now...

3. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

According to several Mad Men Wikis (and I seemed to recall this as well) Sterling served during WW2 as a naval officer in the Pacific theater.

4. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Yeah I think Sterling fought in WWII and Cooper in WWI.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

yeah, he talked about the pacific theatre, and duck served in the pacific as well (marine, IIRC)

6. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

Yup, he's a definitely a WWII vet. Remember (was it last season?) when he insulted some potential Japanese clients in a meeting because they were Japanese? I.e., his former enemies.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  7. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Honda motorcycles I believe.

8. Teger

Teger Senior member

he commanded a ship in the pacific, no? so it's not surprising that he was in his late 20s or early 30s

9. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

Sterling was in WWII and Draper in Korea. Cooper there was no mention of military service.

10. gort

gort Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Season 1's Red In the Face episode where Sterling hits on Betty at their home was when he was talking about shooting down Japanese planes from his ship and his whole interpretation the war was about petrol. I reckon he has to be older than JFK because he thought he was a boy during the JFK/Nixon election.

From the former lover of his in Season 3 (the horse meat episode), he was one of those Americans who wandered Europe in the years leading up to WWII doing eclectic things like boxing and ended up working at Sterling Cooper until he entered service after he was blamed for losing the C something horse farm account. I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if his father ordered him to do most of this.

In the preview for the finale, Draper drops by someone's place unexpectedly and the door behind him is brown, which isn't Peggy's (green) or Joan's door (pink). So perhaps Peggy doesn't make an appearance and we'll have to see if he keeps his season 3 finale promise that he'd spend the rest of his life trying to hire her back.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

:crackup:

Best. Fucking. Line. Evah.

13. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

+1 :crackup:

14. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

The cycle repeats. Don's toothache as a symbol that nothing every really just "goes away" we all carry the burdens of our decisions with us through life. Don is doomed to repeat the same decisions over and over and over again because he has never truly faced anything. He can run, he can hide, he can try to choke it out, drown it away, or avoid it.

I am very excited to see where season 6 takes us.

15. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I was pretty bored. Roger was definitely the highlight of this episode.

16. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

I thought it was underwhelming, although I've felt the whole season was underwhelming.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So did Meagan bring the old Don back?

Yeah, Roger was awesome.

Who had Peggy just finished her fling with or was it another nameless pickup?

18. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

Her mother pushed Don over the edge and back into his old ways. By saying, more or less, 'its your job to take care of her', he reverts back to the way of thinking when we was with Betty. That is, I take care of my wife at home, so I can do whatever I want when I'm not. Betty got two kids and a house in 'burbs. Megan got her part. All is as it should be in the world of Don Draper. He didn't respect Betty because she got nothing for herself. He respected Megan when she was earning her keep at the office (and succeeding), but now that he just needs to take care of her, he's lost that respect for her and the relationship.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

It's a little more than that. Meagan rejected Don's world, a world where she was apparently pretty good. Then she started hanging with a bunch of people that were rather snide to Don, looked down their noses at him...while they were mooching off his largesse. So after this rather shabby treatment and rejection Meagan then turns around and needs Don's influence to get a part that will, per Meagan, make all her friends jealous...they same friends that seem to hold Don in contempt.

If you think about it she was really pretty shitty to Don.

20. gort

gort Senior member

The chick Pete was banging is niceeee.

Feel bad for her. :(