• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 5

violethour1951

Reaction score
Peggy's going to the rival firm that SCDP pulled the Honda motorcycle prank on?
rotflmao.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That smirk on Peggy's face in the end...when Don's comments confirmed that she'd made the right decision.

Priceless.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No redeeming qualities for any of them. While Don pretends to be the prince he's the same.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best episode since the first season. Great night for tv last night. Mad Men, GOT, Veep and Girls all turned in top notch episodes.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When the show ended, I wasn't sure who Draper would go punch in the face: the bloke at Jaguar or Chaough. This moral ambiguity theme has been toyed with all season.

Joan - hmm, funny how the only person who defended her was Draper. I almost thought Sterling would, but then Cooper and him have probably seen her prostitute herself for much less, including her doctor husband. Megan doing a turn to win the audition reminded me so much of Peggy's casting call where Crane was there just to see the women; I'm sure it's Weiner just rubbing it in.

I thought some characters would come back this season - Chaough and Freddy (so I was right, he left because Ponds left). But they came back in ways unexpected. Peggy going with Chaough - I don't know if she's going to come back, although it'd be nice to see more of how the other agency runs and whether Chaough can actually deal with Peggy's growing ego. At least she'll have Kurt and Smitty to kick around. Freddy has been giving good advice since he went to AA.

The only totally unblemished character is...Cosgrove? And a born-again Don Draper who just scored his pyrrhic victory?

On a side note:
That copywriting crew Draper assembled was a blast from the past including the chap from season 4 who fixed the copier - I never remember his name and Dale from Seasons 1 and 3. Sal Romano coming back would not be a stretch now.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to be in the minority. Joan literally prostituting herself? Peggy leaving? I think the show's finally jumped the shark. I wonder what happened during/after Meghan's audition?

Stugotes

Reaction score
I always wondered: are DD's suits to be bespoke or off the rack?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I seem to be in the minority. Joan literally prostituting herself? Peggy leaving? I think the show's finally jumped the shark. I wonder what happened during/after Meghan's audition?

but she needed to repair her fridge!

violethour1951

Reaction score

From all the abuse/lack of recognition Peggy's been getting from Don this whole season, combined with her talent & ambition, it's not hard to see her leaving.

I was shocked by Joan's choice, too -- I don't think she did it for the money, since Roger's promised to support their kid. Maybe she did it because SCDP is the only thing she's got? We saw earlier this season how anxious and upset she became when she mistakenly assumed that the firm had put personals in the newspaper to find a replacement for her.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the scene at the end with Don/Peggy was priceless. especially when Peggy went to shake Don's hand and he just kissed it instead; and held it there until she pulled away. win

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

From all the abuse/lack of recognition Peggy's been getting from Don this whole season, combined with her talent & ambition, it's not hard to see her leaving.

I was shocked by Joan's choice, too -- I don't think she did it for the money, since Roger's promised to support their kid. Maybe she did it because SCDP is the only thing she's got? We saw earlier this season how anxious and upset she became when she mistakenly assumed that the firm had put personals in the newspaper to find a replacement for her.

This is what makes TV, TV and real life real life. Probably 1 in 1000 Joan's would have considered that in real life. It was a bit of a stretch for her to do that. Maybe too much of a stretch.

Peggy, that was easy. Funny how Don was the prince this episode yet HE is the one that literally chucks money in a woman's face.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads