• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Losing keys

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I left for the evening on NYE, I removed my building and apartment keys from the large keychain I generally carry and put them on a small ring to minimize bulk.  With the restaurant, nightclub, multiple cab rides, and shallow-pocketed slacks, you can guess what happened next.  Not a great way to welcome 2005.  Everything worked out in the end (fortunately, a locksmith was available on New Year's Day to let me into my apartment), but I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on how to carry keys (particularly for an evening out) that will minimize the chances of losing them while maintaining a slim profile.  Thanks in advance.

SmartDresser

Reaction score
Your quote at the bottom made me laugh. This may not be much help, but I alway buy pants with deep pockets. I hunt around for them.
thumbs-up.gif

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aw, that sucks. Besides leaving them in your breast pocket, I just try feeling for my keys every time I stand up.

I'd suggest attaching a small tag on your keys with contact info (phone numbers, not an address..for obvious reasons). You can have one made at any pet store for a few bucks. That way, at least if you lose them, there's a chance they'll be returned.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I only need a key or two, my wallet has two little pockets (I think for spare keys) that I can tuck my car and apt. keys into. It wouldn't fit more than two keys, and I wouldn't want the wallet-bulk all the time, but it's one option. If it didn't have the specific pockets, I might hesitate to put a key in there, what with all the wallet opening I do on a night out.
mad.gif
It's just a cheap wallet, btw, no name brand, not sure of the details of higher end wallets. EDIT: Some standup had a good bit about guys feeling for all necessities when we get up, leave a restaurant, etc. flailing our arms at all of our pockets, looking like we're giving a signal to steal second.

johnw86

Reaction score
I know this doesn't address your query, but I used to carry a spare car key in my wallet. I taped it between two business cards so it wouldn't shift around, and it didn't add much bulk to my stache of credit cards. Perhaps if one did this with a car key and house key, it would be possible to forgo the "stealing second" signs.
biggrin.gif

alaaro

Reaction score
I always take off any keys i dont need and just shove it in my pocket and it seems to be fine. I do the constant checking thing also, when I stand up.

Off topic, but where'd you party in DC for NYE? I was out at Porters in Midtown. Silly party.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If its only a few keys like my keychain, (1 house, 2 car), and a small key ring then they usually fit in the 5th pocket of trousers if there is one. I have found that things usually don't slip out of that pocket. This may not help if you don't have a 5th pocket but another option

PHV

Reaction score
Before I left for the evening on NYE, I removed my building and apartment keys from the large keychain I generally carry and put them on a small ring to minimize bulk.  With the restaurant, nightclub, multiple cab rides, and shallow-pocketed slacks, you can guess what happened next.  Not a great way to welcome 2005.  Everything worked out in the end (fortunately, a locksmith was available on New Year's Day to let me into my apartment), but I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on how to carry keys (particularly for an evening out) that will minimize the chances of losing them while maintaining a slim profile.  Thanks in advance.
Buy a key holder.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I have my keys on a keyring that I can clip to my belt loop. I would recommend the same. I originally started sporting the look for aesthetic reasons but I have found it to be quite practical as well.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have my keys on a keyring that I can clip to my belt loop. I would recommend the same. I originally started sporting the look for aesthetic reasons but I have found it to be quite practical as well.
How does that look with trousers and suits? I do this with jeans and more casual attire but thought it would look tacky having a big silver ring or biner hanging off a belt loop.

stache

Reaction score
I always keep a safety pin on my key ring for emergencies. Sometimes I will pin the key ring inside my pocket so it stays put.

joseanes

Reaction score
Before I left for the evening on NYE, I removed my building and apartment keys from the large keychain I generally carry and put them on a small ring to minimize bulk. With the restaurant, nightclub, multiple cab rides, and shallow-pocketed slacks, you can guess what happened next. Not a great way to welcome 2005. Everything worked out in the end (fortunately, a locksmith was available on New Year's Day to let me into my apartment), but I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on how to carry keys (particularly for an evening out) that will minimize the chances of losing them while maintaining a slim profile. Thanks in advance.
Maybe no keys at all. They sell keyless locks at home depot. Kind of combination locks
smile.gif
However, the car keys... I guess you still need those, but at least it is only one key.

Tom

Reaction score
I would avoid putting a safety pin in my pocket, for what I consider obvious reasons. In most pants pockets that I own, there is a small liner pocket sewn into the right front pocket as a "change keeper" pocket. It keeps small items from slipping out. Also, if you are wearing a jacket, put them in your inner breast pocket. No problem.

-Tom

Brian SD

Reaction score
(Brian SD @ 03 Jan. 2005, 10:56) I have my keys on a keyring that I can clip to my belt loop. I would recommend the same. I originally started sporting the look for aesthetic reasons but I have found it to be quite practical as well.
How does that look with trousers and suits? I do this with jeans and more casual attire but thought it would look tacky having a big silver ring or biner hanging off a belt loop.
It does look very utilitarian in nature, having your keys hanging over your butt. I didn't even think about suits/trousers, because I wear jeans 29 days out of 30.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads