Losing keys

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Before I left for the evening on NYE, I removed my building and apartment keys from the large keychain I generally carry and put them on a small ring to minimize bulk.  With the restaurant, nightclub, multiple cab rides, and shallow-pocketed slacks, you can guess what happened next.  Not a great way to welcome 2005.  Everything worked out in the end (fortunately, a locksmith was available on New Year's Day to let me into my apartment), but I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on how to carry keys (particularly for an evening out) that will minimize the chances of losing them while maintaining a slim profile.  Thanks in advance.

2. SmartDresser

SmartDresser Well-Known Member

Your quote at the bottom made me laugh. This may not be much help, but I alway buy pants with deep pockets. I hunt around for them. [​IMG]

3. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Aw, that sucks. Besides leaving them in your breast pocket, I just try feeling for my keys every time I stand up.

I'd suggest attaching a small tag on your keys with contact info (phone numbers, not an address..for obvious reasons). You can have one made at any pet store for a few bucks. That way, at least if you lose them, there's a chance they'll be returned.

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

If I only need a key or two, my wallet has two little pockets (I think for spare keys) that I can tuck my car and apt. keys into. It wouldn't fit more than two keys, and I wouldn't want the wallet-bulk all the time, but it's one option. If it didn't have the specific pockets, I might hesitate to put a key in there, what with all the wallet opening I do on a night out. [​IMG] It's just a cheap wallet, btw, no name brand, not sure of the details of higher end wallets. EDIT: Some standup had a good bit about guys feeling for all necessities when we get up, leave a restaurant, etc. flailing our arms at all of our pockets, looking like we're giving a signal to steal second.

5. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

I know this doesn't address your query, but I used to carry a spare car key in my wallet. I taped it between two business cards so it wouldn't shift around, and it didn't add much bulk to my stache of credit cards. Perhaps if one did this with a car key and house key, it would be possible to forgo the "stealing second" signs. [​IMG]

6. alaaro

alaaro Senior member

I always take off any keys i dont need and just shove it in my pocket and it seems to be fine. I do the constant checking thing also, when I stand up.

Off topic, but where'd you party in DC for NYE? I was out at Porters in Midtown. Silly party.

7. demeis

demeis Senior member

If its only a few keys like my keychain, (1 house, 2 car), and a small key ring then they usually fit in the 5th pocket of trousers if there is one. I have found that things usually don't slip out of that pocket. This may not help if you don't have a 5th pocket but another option

8. PHV

PHV Senior member

Buy a key holder.

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I have my keys on a keyring that I can clip to my belt loop. I would recommend the same. I originally started sporting the look for aesthetic reasons but I have found it to be quite practical as well.

10. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Maybe you could find a smaller, stylish carabiner...

11. demeis

demeis Senior member

How does that look with trousers and suits? I do this with jeans and more casual attire but thought it would look tacky having a big silver ring or biner hanging off a belt loop.

12. stache

stache Senior member

I always keep a safety pin on my key ring for emergencies. Sometimes I will pin the key ring inside my pocket so it stays put.

13. joseanes

joseanes Senior member

Maybe no keys at all. They sell keyless locks at home depot. Kind of combination locks [​IMG] However, the car keys... I guess you still need those, but at least it is only one key.

14. Tom

Tom Senior member

I would avoid putting a safety pin in my pocket, for what I consider obvious reasons. In most pants pockets that I own, there is a small liner pocket sewn into the right front pocket as a "change keeper" pocket. It keeps small items from slipping out. Also, if you are wearing a jacket, put them in your inner breast pocket. No problem.

-Tom

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

(Brian SD @ 03 Jan. 2005, 10:56) I have my keys on a keyring that I can clip to my belt loop. I would recommend the same. I originally started sporting the look for aesthetic reasons but I have found it to be quite practical as well.
    How does that look with trousers and suits? I do this with jeans and more casual attire but thought it would look tacky having a big silver ring or biner hanging off a belt loop.
    It does look very utilitarian in nature, having your keys hanging over your butt. I didn't even think about suits/trousers, because I wear jeans 29 days out of 30.