• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for most versatile dress shoe

bohsco

Reaction score
Good evening gentlemen. I have recently made the venture into dressing more like the person I would like to put forth. I have a public image and it's important that I look professional out and about. If you've ever started from scratch like I have, you know there are a lot of details into dressing sharp.

I recently bought a pinstripe charcoal suit (now learning probably not the best purchase for my experience in dressing well), a navy suit, and a navy blazer, some excellent fitted jeans, some tailored khakis, things like that.

I am wanting a great pair of shoes that will go well with just about anything. I like burgundy and I like black. I'm looking for shoes that can be worn to a presentation in either suit I have, or in a pair of jeans with a blazer. Does such shoe exist? Can someone give me pointers on shoe tip, color, style, etc please? Much appreciated.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some folks will say that you need two different shoes - one for the suit, one for the jeans.

If you're looking for a crossover shoe, and don't mind spending $650, look into the Allen Edmonds MacNeil, or Cambridge, in Burgundy Shell Cordovan. The MacNeil is less formal because it's a longwing blucher, whereas the Cambridge is more formal because it's a closed-laced balmoral. The Strand in Brown Shell Cordovan is also an option (photos of my pair below).

If shell cordovan is too pricey, look at the Allen Edmonds McAllister, Strand, or McGregor. They also offer the MacNeil in black.

My suggestion would be to head to a local Allen Edmonds store (or Nordstrom) and get sized (note that different AE styles can be on different lasts and will thus fit differently, and try on some options.

I recently bought some brown shell cordovan Strands and am loving them - I've worn them with jeans but also a suit, and they go nicely with both I think.

Last edited:

Skatenc123

Reaction score
id say allen edmonds or alden maybe a cap toe and a wingtip. You really shouldn't wear the same shoe multiples days in a row, would suggest a minimum of 2 pairs. Also depending wear you live and what look your going for you may be better off with something besides leather sole.

alden longwing shell cordovan
f
Alden cap toe burgundy calf

Allen Edmonds Captoe Strand

Allen Edmonds Mcneil Shell Cordovan

BernieIsMyCat

Reaction score
I just got a pair of Alden Men's Plain Toe Blucher Shell Cordovan in black for Xmas and I love them. These look like they will work well with everything from jeans through formal wear.

If your budget does not allow shell cordovan, Alden makes a similar shoe in normal calf leather.

You should take Skatenc123's advice and not wear the same shoes every day. If you rev up your search engine, there is a ton of info available here at SF and other places about what style shoes go with what styles of dress.

If you wear a Goodyear-welted shoe like Alden or the previously mentioned AE's, you will find the fit is more critical than in an athletic-style shoe. So make sure you either buy where you can try them on, or buy online only from a source with a liberal return policy.

Last edited:

bohsco

Reaction score
You have been extremely helpful. I realized it was time to do some research on terminology. What I believe I would like is, correct me if I'm wrong... I would like a burgundy wing tip blucher for business casual. For dressier get ups, I'll go with a black cap toe balmoral. And for my less than business casual, I have a pair of brown "dress boots" that were only $100 from Dillard's. I like wearing them with jeans.

How did I do? Haha

billythekid

Reaction score
The alden captoes look too formal (great with suits, not with jeans). check out allen edmond leeds. They are a derby shoe.
Strands are nice shoes. Be a great choice for alot of people.

Last edited:

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black chelsea boots, dark brown sleek 1-3 eyelet derbys or suede oxfords will work with dark jeans and suits IMO.

Last edited:

bohsco

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I ended up getting walnut Clifton model. They didn't have the wingtip cordovan so I went with what felt comfortable on both my feet and pocket. 239.99

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am wanting a great pair of shoes that will go well with just about anything.

You'd probably be better off buying two pairs of shoes - one which goes well with suits, and another which goes well with more casual clothing.

I know you'd like to find one pair which goes well with everything. Unfortunately, you're much more likely to wind up with one pair which is a mediocre match for everything, and an excellent match for nothing. It's like buying a Swiss Army knife, because it gives you 47 tools in one. Sure, it's convenient and inexpensive, but none of those tools is likely to be as good for the job as a single, "normal" tool.

Since quality footwear, properly cared for, can give many years (decades) of use, this should be one area where spending a little more upfront, for excellent quality and excellent suitability to its intended role, makes sense. It's not like you'd be blowing hundreds of extra dollars on an item which you'll only be able to use a handful of times, before it gets worn out and has to be replaced. Quality footwear can be thought of as more of a long term investment.

If you absolutely, positively cannot purchase two pairs of quality shoes, I'd recommend you decide which is more important to you - wearing with jeans, wearing with chinos, or wearing with suits - and buy one quality pair for that one purpose. Then, later on, when finances make it possible, buy a second or third pair of quality footwear for the other, lesser, purpose(s).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads