• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for help with a gym routine

Mess

Reaction score
I am pretty much a new starter with this stuff. I know my way around a gym machine wise but I haven't been for years and think I would be better off starting on free weights. As I don't know the names of the exercises I could do with explanations of what things are.

So anyway here is my situation.

I am 6ft 2" and 164lbs. 37" chest :embar: I also have a fairly weak lower back and will be going by myself.

Now I am looking for a routine to do for about 1 hour a day 4 days a week. I am specifically looking to bulk my chest up to about a 40" and bulk out my shoulders and arms.
Hoping for a strong athletic type body.

Any help would be great.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do the P90X videos. All of the exercises, reps, sets, eating program, etc are already set up for you. All you need (besides the videos) are dumb bells or resistance bands, a pull up bar, and some push up bars(get push up bars, or buy square dumbbells that you can also use as push up bars) . I saw noticeable changes after 30 days. The program absolutely works.

Protect your lower back by bending slightly at the knees as you do standing dumb bell exercises. Start everything off slowly and with lighter weights until your back strengthens. It definitely will if you don't rush it. Take your time, you'll get in shape without getting injured.

Great that you made the decision to improve your life. The benefits are numerous.

Square Dumbbells

ieqhFw.png

Last edited:

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am pretty much a new starter with this stuff. I know my way around a gym machine wise but I haven't been for years and think I would be better off starting on free weights. As I don't know the names of the exercises I could do with explanations of what things are.

So anyway here is my situation.

I am 6ft 2" and 164lbs. 37" chest :embar: I also have a fairly weak lower back and will be going by myself.

Now I am looking for a routine to do for about 1 hour a day 4 days a week. I am specifically looking to bulk my chest up to about a 40" and bulk out my shoulders and arms.
Hoping for a strong athletic type body.

Any help would be great.

You don't need a hour. You also need to forget the mirror muscles and work the big muscles. Back and legs . Worrying about the stuff you see is just setting yourself up for problems sooner or later.

Google Westside for Skinny Bastards it's made for guys like you.

ImAHardGainer

Reaction score
I agree with the last reply.
Focus on the big body parts. Legs, Back, Chest and shoulders.
Go to gym, focus on training and put some weights on.
Exercises could be. Deadlift, Squat, Bench press, shoulder press, stiff deadlift etc.
Be carefull doing the free standing exercises with great style, untill you have training your lowerback.
Best regards
Michael Morales
Hard Gainer

Monaco

Reaction score
All you need to do is bench press, deadlift, squats and chin ups. You don't really need a complete routine or program.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hate when people recommend everyone does just the compound lifts. The guy says he wants a bigger chest and shoulders. The bench is not the best lift to develop chest size, especially not the powerlifting style bench that everyone advocates. Also none of those lifts are gonna do anything for his shoulders. He needs a pressing motion and with a weak lower back a standing press is gonna limit how much he can press and may potentially hurt him. He needs a row too. If he wants bigger arms I still advocate some iso work, I don't feel my biceps at all in rows and not particularly much with chins, if I didn't do iso work id have tiny biceps. I'm not against doing strength based compound programs, I do one myself, but for his goals, its not necessarily a good idea especially with a weak lower back.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't feel my biceps at all in rows .

Change your grip. The normal row grip hits the bicep less.

I'm not sure anybody said he had to do a powerlifting program. The big compounds are going to be the basis for a bodybuilding workout to. He doesn't need to start out with ISO work. If and when he has a lagging part then he can worry about it.

Also unless he spends his whole life sitting against a wall worrying about just his chest and shoulders while ignoring his back and legs isn't that smart. I can promise you people notice the back half of you .

dstoabs

Reaction score
New starter, understand machines, haven't been in the gym in years, weak lower back, will be going by yourself... I know you said you would like to work with free weights, but without a partner that can be hard. If you're new, it might be difficult or intimidating for you to work in with other guys so that they can spot you. With a weak lower back, you're going to need to start light on squats and similar exercises. I suggest still using machines a lot while you slowly transition over to free weights. As for a workout, when you're new, you're going to be soar and it will take longer for you to recover. I agree with four days a week. I would spread out the workout so that you only hit one major muscle group each day you're in the gym. That will give each major group a week to recover and grow. I suggest Day 1) Back. Day 2) Off. Day 3) Abs/torso. Day 4) Chest/Shoulders. Day 5) Off. Day 6) Legs. Day 7) Off. Do every machine available for each muscle group. In other words, work each group using multiple different exercises. By the end of each workout, that muscle group should be wiped out. Don't worry about arms in the beginning. The back and chest days will get your arms well enough in the beginning. I know you said you only want to bulk up chest, shoulders and arms. Problem is, that can all be done in one workout, then you'll need many days to recover and grow. You might as well hit the rest of your body on the other 3 days.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can muscle gain really happen without 'juicing' and/or drinking protein shakes 2-3 times a day?

I want to continue my 'diet' and just play bball, running, and lifting.

Will I just lean out and become 'fit' instead of seeing 'results'?

^ and thanks for the Zyzz post.

Last edited:

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can muscle gain really happen without 'juicing' and/or drinking protein shakes 2-3 times a day?

Yes it can. :facepalm:

I want to continue my 'diet' and just play bball, running, and lifting. Will I just lean out and become 'fit' instead of seeing 'results'?

If you're in a hard deficit already I doubt you'll see much (if any) hypertrophy although you might get a bit stronger.

^ and thanks for the Zyzz post.

Zyzz was a douche who obviously dabbled with **** he should not have. There's no denying the dude was ripped though. If you're looking to go down a similar route, feel free to do a few cycles of test and don't leave out the copious amounts of opiates and amphetamines.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads