• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for Grenadine ties

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Press is having a 25% off sale right now, making their grenadines about $60. The downside is that shipping (for a tie) is $15 (??). I was about to pull the trigger until I saw the picture of Hober's tie up close.

Is buying J Press here a bad idea?

Also, does anyone know the width of these J Press grenadines? I'm looking to get something around 3".

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt have two grenadines for $110 including shipping.

I don't get into all this hand wringing about width. Slim is in right now but when the cycle moves I'm not throwing out all my ties. As I always wear them with a buttoned jacket anyway so a half inch either way is barely gonna make any visible difference to me.

I also scored a beautiful deep red grenadine online for $40. That will be in heavy rotation as I like a lot of solid colours anyway and grenadines just add a bit of depth in texture than a flat satin silk.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
J Press is having a 25% off sale right now, making their grenadines about $60. The downside is that shipping (for a tie) is $15 (??). I was about to pull the trigger until I saw the picture of Hober's tie up close. Is buying J Press here a bad idea? Also, does anyone know the width of these J Press grenadines? I'm looking to get something around 3".
I have a couple of J Press grenadines. They are very nice. 3.25-3.5 width

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Johnny24

Reaction score
I was just in NYC and I was on a grenadine tie mission, I went to Paul Stuart, J Press, Bergdorf Goodman, \tCharles Tyrwhitt, and a few other places.

I wanted a black and a navy first and foremost, with price being of little object for those colors and I would have settled with anything useful after that if there were deals to be had. After all the looking around I ended up with J Press in black, and navy, (I also bought a black silk knit there as well) after being impressed with their quality, thickness, weight, and the weave of the tie. I ended up wearing the black grenadine out of the store I loved it so much, it looked fantastic with my charcoal Hickey Freeman suit and a black and white check **** (the check is almost micro sized). The tie is around 3.25 I would guess; I have not taken my tape measure to it but it is a faint bit wider than what I am seeing as the most common width these days (2.75-3.00), but it would not overpower a slimmer lapel that is reasonable (not one of these laughable Express or JCrew Ludlow style lapels that are around 2 inches).

The thickness and weight of the tie allowed for a perfect four-in-hand with a natural dimple, I would suggest this tie to anyone and the price is very reasonable for what you are getting.

The Charles Tyrwhitt tie was also nice, it has a unique look to the fabric similar to the Hober weave and I would have swooped for the gray and the royal blue for the combo price but neither of the stores I visited had the royal in-stock so I am just going to order those from the website.

I was not impressed with the offerings at Paul Stuart, the tie just didn't feel as nice in my hands as the J Press model and their color offerings in the store were not what I desired. Some may disagree but I just think the J Press model is a nicer feeling tie, and while $20.00 isn't a big difference in price I wouldn't plump the extra money into a Paul Stuart just because it is Paul Stuart when something nicer can be had for slightly less money.

I have yet to experience the Sam Hober tie, but I plan on telling someone that is asking me what I want for Christmas to order me one in purple or red.

The weave of the tie really does "lift" the tie from your suit and shirt without being loud, or fashion forward. I highly suggest investing in and taking good care of a few staple colors in these types of ties.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Tyrwhitts do look nice. They appear to use the same "open weave" as the Hobers. I just got a couple of beautiful Tom Ford grenadines at C21 in Manhattan for $80 each. I'm not sure if they have any left.
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=1704

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just received my two CT ties yesterday. Open weave and a substantial thickness too. The blue is a vibrant electric blue. Very satisfied with them especially for the price. Pity they don't do more colours. I might go for a plain navy or black from another dealer but I just wonder f I would ever use them as they may look a bit dull with a plain shirt as I always tend to lean towards a brighter colour in ties and pocket squares.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
The Tom Ford ties are not grenadine but fancy knits.

The navy certainly looks like a Grenadine to me. Similar weave to the J Press, etc.

Johnny24

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Those Tyrwhitts do look nice. They appear to use the same "open weave" as the Hobers. I just got a couple of beautiful Tom Ford grenadines at C21 in Manhattan for $80 each. I'm not sure if they have any left.
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=1704

The one place I didn't make it to on my trip.....I am so upset with myself for not getting there. Had I not lost my phone in Hoboken the night before I would have had the time. Sadly I had to deal with Best Buy in Union Square for the majority of the time I set aside to head to C21; Tom Ford is Appreciation level clothing to me but not something I can afford at Bergdorf prices right now so C21 would have been fantastic, even if it was just for ties.

Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Just received my two CT ties yesterday. Open weave and a substantial thickness too. The blue is a vibrant electric blue. Very satisfied with them especially for the price. Pity they don't do more colours. I might go for a plain navy or black from another dealer but I just wonder f I would ever use them as they may look a bit dull with a plain shirt as I always tend to lean towards a brighter colour in ties and pocket squares.

As I had said before the CT ties were nice, and I would have went in for them had they had both colors for the 2 for $115 deal. I got the impression that the blue was very bright from the photos, nice to hear it pops in real life too. I would get the navy and the black if I were you, the tie will not look dull because of the design of the weave, it is visible at a reasonable distance and as you get closer it does lift the tie from the shirt, even when there are patterns on the shirt like a fine check. If you like the weave of the CT and want it for our other colors go Hober, if you want to change it up a bit and go for a tighter looking weave the Press models I mentioned are good. If you can get to a Press store they have more in store than online for color options, at least in NYC.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really love my Sam Hober grenadines - so much so that I wore one at my wedding this past June in Sedona, Arizona. It's a delight to do business with David, and he's always appreciative of his customers.
fing02[1].gif

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts Johnny. I just took a look at Hober's website and wish I didn't. Grenadines in every colour you can think of is way too tempting. I know $80 is not bad for a grenadine but more than I've ever paid for a tie, existing record is $60 for the CT ones.

I could easily go for half a dozen of his ties at least. On your advice would include a dark or midnight navy which would bridge the black/navy indecision. Damn you!
laugh.gif

HarleyBob

Reaction score
If you want grenadine ties, why go anywhere but Hober's? It just doesn't make sense. For $80 you get the tie in the color you want, the width you want and the length. For a little more money, you can get more folds. The tie is also hand-made, reflecting great workmanship and care.

I can't tell you how much I wish I would have found David's ties before I spent so much money on lousy ties. Oh well, live and learn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads