Looking for Grenadine ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jmoody15, Nov 9, 2009.

1. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Senior member

http://www.paulstuart.com/product_in...SUBPRODCATID=0

The Paul Stuart ones look great. I don't why they are called Limited Edition, though, they've had them for a while

On another topic, they seem to have expanded their selection of polka dot knit ties recently

Hmmm..price seems higher than what I paid. Bought mine this summer for $90 each, IIRC.

2. skefferz

skefferz Senior member

The Paul Stuart ones look great.

I have a current one from Paul Stuart, but a Sam Hober grenadine is superior.

3. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Is there any way to get grenadine ties without spending $80+ ?

4. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

5. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

Is there any way to get grenadine ties without spending $80+ ?
    It depends on the type of grenadine. This type of grenadine can't be found more cheaply than from Sam Hober for $80: [​IMG] This type can be found from Paul Winston and J Press for much less: [​IMG] You can find both types of grenadine ties on ebay, used and new, for a lot less.

6. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

For the record, here is a list of brands that make (or used to make) the larger weave grenadine ties:

Battistoni Roma
    Ben Silver
    Benson & Clegg 'Lace'
    Brioni
    Dege & Skinner
    Dion
    Domenico Spano
    Dormeuil
    Drakes
    Giorgio Armani
    Harvie & Hudson
    Hilditch & Key
    Kent Wang
    Lawrence of Warwick UK
    Marinella
    Mountain & Sackett
    New & Lingwood
    Paul Stuart
    Sam Hober
    Thomas Pink 'Astaire'
    TM Lewin
    Turnbull & Asser

Here are some brands that make (or used to make) the smaller weave grenadine ties:

Brioni
    Charles Tyrwhitt
    Drakes
    Hickey
    J. Press
    M. Bardelli
    Maus & Hoffman
    Oxxford
    Paul Stuart
    Polo/Ralph Lauren Black Label
    Udeshi
    Valentino
    Winston Tailors/Chipp 2

Here is a list of brands that I've seen mentioned as making grenadine ties, though I have not been able to confirm them. They could be either type of grenadine, or someone might have been confused. These brands may just make a textured tie, or some people confuse grenadine ties for knit ties. If anyone has a picture of a grenadine they can post by these manufacturers I would appreciate it:

Altea
    Andover Shop
    Brooks Brothers
    Budd of Piccadilly
    Carroll & Co
    Charvet
    Holland & Sherry
    Holliday & Brown
    Prada
    Rhodes & Brousse
    Richel

7. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

There are no grenadine ties for sale on Ebay. So, at $80, it weeds out the $30k millionaires who buy everything used on Ebay for $6. Anyone with a grenadine tie is the real deal. JPress grenadines are $80 http://jpressonline.com/neckwear_solid.php?page=all I see no Paul Winston website. Sounds like Hober is the way to go.

8. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

There are no grenadine ties for sale on Ebay.
    So, at $80, it weeds out the $30k millionaires who buy everything used on Ebay for $6.
    Anyone with a grenadine tie is the real deal.

JPress grenadines are $80
    http://jpressonline.com/neckwear_solid.php?page=all

I see no Paul Winston website.

Sounds like Hober is the way to go.

There are grenadines on eBay, you just didn't search hard enough. They are rarely listed as "grenadine" because so few people know what they are called. Here is a pink one from T&A:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TURNBULL-ASSER-S...item5883a199e5

J Press ties go on sale for much less than 80. I just checked the Harvie and Hudson website and they have Grenadines for $60.

9. dah328

dah328 Senior member

For the record, here is a list of brands that make (or used to make) the larger weave grenadine ties:

Battistoni Roma
    Ben Silver

Very helpful post, thanks. I had a couple of the larger-weave ties from Ben Silver. I ordered several from Winston/Chipp only to find they were the smaller-weave variety.

10. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

Very helpful post, thanks. I had a couple of the larger-weave ties from Ben Silver. I ordered several from Winston/Chipp only to find they were the smaller-weave variety.
    Dah328, Any chance of a close-up photo? Matt S, A great list. For reference a classic grenadine weave is called in Italian "Garza Grosse" this is what we use. there is one other classic weave called as I recall "Garza Fina" We do not currently use this second weave as it is quite loose more so than the Garza Grosse. There are weaves that are similar to the classic weaves woven outside of Italy and some tie makers may refer to them as grenadines, and they may be very beautiful silks but they are not what is considered a classic grenadine. In England silk weavers refer to these other weaves as "Mock Grenadines". again thay can be beautiful silks but are not known as classic grenadines. As an example Drakes uses classic grenadines. One last point when comparing grenadines please keep in mind that ties that are custom made by hand one by one such as ours are going to have a different fit/finish and if construction quality is important this should be kept in mind when making price quality comparisons. As ties that are not made one by one have lower construction costs and prices should reflect this.

11. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

One dumb question ;

Why all the granadine as finished in a square form not triangle as an usual tie?

Thanks

12. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

One dumb question ;

Why all the granadine as finished in a square form not triangle as an usual tie?

Thanks

Grenadine ties are always finished in a triangle. Knit ties are square. Grenadine is a woven silk and is constructed just like any other tie of woven silk. Knit ties are knit silk and must be constructed differently. Whilst the two look similar, they are not related.

13. SpallaCamiccia

Grenadine ties are always finished in a triangle. Knit ties are square. Grenadine is a woven silk and is constructed just like any other tie of woven silk. Knit ties are knit silk and must be constructed differently. Whilst the two look similar, they are not related.
    Thanks for the answer. Then I do love grenadines and hate knit ties that look dumb to me. I´m going to contact Mr. Hober.

14. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

Matt S,

If I may - one small addition to your post - ready made grenadines are typically made with triangle posts.

Square end grenadines while not popular are possible with a custom made/bespoke tie.

The tip corners would be finished the way we do our pocket squares - picture frame style.

15. SpallaCamiccia

It depends on the type of grenadine.

This type of grenadine can't be found more cheaply than from Sam Hober for $80:
    [​IMG]

This type can be found from Paul Winston and J Press for much less:
    [​IMG]

You can find both types of grenadine ties on ebay, used and new, for a lot less.

The first burdeoix one is great![​IMG]