• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LONG HAIR DILEMMA: how do you keep yr hair back?

omar white

Reaction score
i've been debating about whether i should just chop my hair off, but i like it longer and so does the little lady...any ideas for how to keep it back, and off the face? not big into the ideas of bandannas, no matter whether it's a sweet EG print or a garbage $5 throwaway... i can get into some of the 'futbol' look with the thin band, but was wondering what any long hairs do to remedy this situation in a fashionable sense....

ideas?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
how long we talking about? I've been growing mine out too and have found it an adjustment. What i'm doing now is letting it get a little grimy by not using shampoo more than once a week (water every day though) and loading up the palmade, pastes, etc. So basically my hair is a little stiff and blended. I pull it all back and tuck behind the ears and after towel drying to damp and adding product, I pop on a tight cap to pull it back and let it dry like that for a while so it's straight and relatively flat. here's my goal, basically a highish top knot and then pull the sides back into a lower back knot.
VQcq2.jpg

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** pomade and gel, cut that **** short and don't have to worry about the hassle of up keeping your hair

poorman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
VQcq2.jpg

I used to rock my hair like that, or with just the top knot (samurai style
wink.gif
) before I dreaded it. It's growing back now, I chopped it on New Year's. & I haven't met a girl who didn't like long hair. as long as that **** is clean and silky. haha.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had long hair for a long time, bands are basically the only way I think. I hate the ponytail look, better to gather it into a small bun. Placement kind of depends on your head shape though.

If you try bandannas you will be spending a lot of time fixing your hair than you want.

omar white

Reaction score
26-jpg-tom-beckham-hair-band.jpg
essentially my hair is around this length and looks this way with a band (but a dark brown, and im no beckham)....

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hairspray. 8" mohawk.

If I'm lazy, I just put some "lotion" (I like Bumble & Bumble) in and slick it back.

Doesn't matter in the end, I put a motorcycle helmet on and it goes everywhere.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kagemusha

Reaction score
Haha funny I just experienced this. Here's my advice..... Wear it like Beckhams with the band when it is in that stage.......it looks stupid if you try to make a 'mini' ponytail, you just have to band it for a few months. After that, you'll be able to do a top knot, but you'll still have some mangy excess behind your ears and at the bottom back. What I suggest is to bobby pin the excess. This was my girlfriend's advice......at first I said no way.... but after she showed me, you can't even tell they're there and it looks super clean. Don't use more than two though, one on each side. You'll have to do that for a few months then finally you'll be able do whatever you want, most likely a complete bun sort of like the guy on Oki-Ni or Nakamura after a good while as his is pretty long. Nakamura's is really good, that's probably the goal of most guys........ Also, of course get your haircut periodically as you'll look like you have a mullet otherwise. Your back hair is going to be a lot shorter than your front as your goal is to grow them out to where they're both even when brushed back completely.
laugh.gif
Hope this helps! P.S. Almost all girls like the long hair........A LOT.

Not Carl

Reaction score
as another long hair/don't care kinda guy I gotta give a shout out to the top knot

almost always looks dope...whether the knot is on top or more down towards your neck

ive also been known to rock the half samurai/half mullet...where you take the top 1/3 of your hair and put it in a small pony tail (also known as a pone) and then let the last 2/3's fall mullet style...sounds awful, looks awesome

I have really curly hair naturally so I wash and condition almost every day and then put a **** load of pomade in it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads