• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Wow .... ok. And they are both in the same size? Thanks .... helps a lot.
Hi

I always try to send size 9 when sending shoes to the photographer. Sometimes it ends up being a 9.5 or an 8.5 - so whilst I cannot absolutely guarantee that those are the same sizes, they will certainly be very similar sizes.

Mike

WestwardDrift

Reaction score
I also had the same issue after ordering at Robinsons shoes.
I was unable to pay via paypal on their website : I paid by credit card . About 1 week later a fraudulent transaction was logged on my card as well ... I have sent Robinsons a mail and see what they say bout it .

That's disturbing to hear. I just received a pair of Pimlicos in calf from Robinson shoes. Fortunately I paid via paypal.

The Pimlicos are very nice looking boots. I was worried about fit because I have wide feet with high arches and had no familiarity with the Capital last, only with the 026 last of my Kemptons. Thankfully they fit, albeit more comfortably with a thin sock.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first pair of Loakes, the Anglesey (on the Capital last):

A lot of people have commented that they are more of a mid-brown than an ox-blood in colour, but these are pretty close to the online images. Overall, they are attractive, well made boots. I've been looking for something with a victory sole for some time now, so its nice to finally have a pair. I am convinced they will be a better option than commando soles or, god forbid, regular Dainite soles during winter. The leather is quite hard out of the box, but hopefully some Saphir will soften it up a bit. They are slightly tight around the pinkytoe region, but I'm pretty sure they will loosen up with wear. Time will tell.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, after a few days of wear, I'm kind of reconsidering my opinion on the Anglesey. I've applied several coats of Saphir and they are still very, very stiff. While the boot stretched to accommodate my foot reasonably well, the upper edges by the laces are incredibly hard and cut into my ankles something awful. I'm hoping it will soften with time, but wearing the boots right now is not exactly a pleasant experience.

I'm also fairly ambivalent re the leather quality. While very thick, the surface doesn't seem to respond well to treatment. Saphir tends to leave streaky marks; something I that does not happen with my other shoes. They don't seem to take to polish very well either (although it could just be that I am bad at it). Maybe I am expecting too much too soon, but overall I am fairly disappointed given the reputation of the 1880 line.

Last edited:

bandman

Reaction score
I have a question that others may be able to answer regarding my Loake Gable shoes (Shoemakers Collection, Dainite sole). What is the difference, besides the sole, between the Gable (rubber sole and Claridge Last/G fitting) and the Downing 1880 Collection (leather sole, Capital Last/F fitting) . They look very similar. Slightly different last shape but besides the sole, why is the Gable in the shoemaker collection and the Downing in the 1880? I do like the Gable, very comfortable and light to wear.

I have the Gable in brown, and looking at getting a pair in black, but would also consider the Downing, even though it has a leather sole.

Are there any other shoes/boots that seem to be the same in the Shoemaker and 1880 collections?

Thanks.

muddy250

Reaction score
So, after a few days of wear, I'm kind of reconsidering my opinion on the Anglesey. I've applied several coats of Saphir and they are still very, very stiff. While the boot stretched to accommodate my foot reasonably well, the upper edges by the laces are incredibly hard and cut into my ankles something awful. I'm hoping it will soften with time, but wearing the boots right now is not exactly a pleasant experience.

I'm also fairly ambivalent re the leather quality. While very thick, the surface doesn't seem to respond well to treatment. Saphir tends to leave streaky marks; something I that does not happen with my other shoes. They don't seem to take to polish very well either (although it could just be that I am bad at it). Maybe I am expecting too much too soon, but overall I am fairly disappointed given the reputation of the 1880 line.

Give them some time, it took a long time for my 1880's to wear in, Chesters, Hyde boots, both fit like gloves now with some stretching and polish and I have bunions to get round so you can imagine the grief sorting shoes out there. If the ankles are giving you trouble just leave the top holes unlaced, I never lace these to the top, always stop one short. I use saphir and it'll take eventually.

Last edited:

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came to that realisation as well after I made that post. I will just have to be patient, I guess. Having said that, I am rather disappointed in the quality of the leather. They started to crack and spot from the first wear. This is what they look like after a day after being Saphired and polished:

I bought these with the expectation that they will last a while, but I suspect that's not going to happen. I can't say I am impressed.

mdubya

Reaction score
I came to that realisation as well after I made that post. I will just have to be patient, I guess. Having said that, I am rather disappointed in the quality of the leather. They started to crack and spot from the first wear. This is what they look like after a day after being Saphired and polished:

I bought these with the expectation that they will last a while, but I suspect that's not going to happen. I can't say I am impressed.

Surprising. All of my 1880 shoes have excellent leather quality with no issues, some many years old. Im guessing maybe the grain leather they sourced is not as nice and their calf. My Hyde's and Pimlico's took a while to break in and were stiff/painful at the top of the shaft but once that subsided they are very comfortable. My only observation is that they don't take a polish/burnish as well as my AE's and Carminas.

muddy250

Reaction score
That does look suspect, I'd send that photo with the cracks to Loake and see what they say, wouldn't be happy at that myself.
I had some pimlico boots that the online retailer refused to accept were defective (there was a stitching misalignment at the bottom of the tongue that meant my sock was visible and any water could go straight in). In the end I sent pictures of the defect to Loake direct who replaced them with apologies.

Last edited:

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, that is a good idea. I got rid of the box and they are not exactly in original condition, so I'm skeptical that they'll do anything about it. But I will do it nevertheless. Thanks for the advice.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mitchum in Brown Suede.
Awesome boots. I have been gearing up for a purchase myself. How is sizing compared to other Loake lasts? I'm a UK7 in Loake 1880, which I believe are 'F' Fitting and assuming I would be a UK 7 in the Mitchum's.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome boots. I have been gearing up for a purchase myself. How is sizing compared to other Loake lasts? I'm a UK7 in Loake 1880, which I believe are 'F' Fitting and assuming I would be a UK 7 in the Mitchum's.

These are 9F in Loake's "Legend" last. Their elongated in the toes and because it's a chelsea boot I really wanted a good fit so I sized down from my typcal UK shoe.

For my Herring suede loafers (which are essentially Loake) I wear a 9.5F in their "Loafer" last.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Muddy

Can you tell from which retailer you bought them from? And also can you make a closer picture? I was thinking to reply suggesting using bees wax o Crema Alpina or even some dubbin with the idea of using something intended to soften the leather. I am ready to buy a similar pair but your comments are making me rethink it.

Best

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads