• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Odradek

Reaction score

Yes your Hyde are lighter than usual, Loake dark brown car vary a bit, from mid brown to dark brown, my Cannons are far darker than yours,
but the difference its in the hides itself not in the finishing as could happen with other makers.

I really like the Hyde but the lack of midsole it's a deal breaker for me, really dislike that details from the first time I saw them, I found the sole too thin

Have the Pimlico and Kempton got a midsole?

Anyone know?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
alexSF,
I don't believe that what I suggested 'doesn't make sense at all'. I was directing my comments at those who want to maintain the original colour of their shoes. You, on the other hand, imagine that there are lots of people who want to change the colour of their shoes. Two sides of the same coin, I would think.

You also write that 'Talking of Loake, their leathers generally have unattractive uniformity'. This often just isn't the case. Most, if not all, of their tan brogues are burnished. Their burgundy Strands have a considerable range of hues within their finish...and so on.

Finally, you write that:'Company branded products are simply re-branded products marked-up, in the case of Loake surely cheap ones like Kiwi etc, I think we know the first part ,' that shoe companies re-brand other products. I'm less sure that we know that: 'in the case of Loake, surely cheap ones like Kiwi...'

Last edited:

BingoLiddle

Reaction score
I've been very happy with my Pimlico. They've had a lot of wear through the Swedish winter. Not the best pic but as I happen to be wearing them today::

classics

Reaction score
Greetings Gentlemen!

Long follower of the forum, would like to share my experience and ask for a bit of advice:

Bought a pair of beautiful Loake Embankment Loafers. The original color is stated to be Mahogany, however in real life the pair looks more of a Mid brown.
Ever since the purchase, polishing the shoe has become a dilemma, which ever product is used for polishing, it takes away the finishing off the shoe (have the finishing come off on white cotton t-shirt).
The shoe doesn't like wax at all! As soon as the leather is touched with a mid brown wax (Herring shoe branded), it darkens the color (leather is reacting to the wax). The wax also takes away the finishing of the Loafer.
Finally got to use Church's branded Neutral Colored shoe cream provided in a tube. The leather is digesting this cream much better, however even with this cream the factory finish comes off (not as much though as compared to the wax used). I don't have access to Loake wax/creams at this moment.

My query at this time is (especially to forum members Munky & Wurger) as to why the leather on this lovely Loake Embankment is behaving the way it is? Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello classics, congratulations on buying the Loake Embankment Loafers. They are beautiful shoes.

I can't help much on your question about shoe products, but Wurger and others will certainly be able to help - they have much more experience than I do. I will be interested to hear what they say.

Best wishes, Munky,

classics

Reaction score
@wurger, your input is highly valued!

1. If it is not a huge hassle, kindly advise as to what should be the routine for this Loake Embankment shoe? Have been skeptical about using colored polishes and creams for this shoe.
  2. Another thing which would require your valued opinion is regarding black oxford cap toe and your research is the most comprehensive and informative available online. The choice is between Loake Aldwych and Meermin Classic Cap toe.
    The shape of Loake Aldwych is the preferred choice of shoe as it is roundish with a hint of chiseling. However when I saw Loake Embankment in real life the overall finishing of the shoe is not top notch (Welt to sole junction is not cleanly finished off & the leather is creasing more than would be justified for a couple of outings for the shoe). I had more expectations for the Loake 1880 line (although I know it is at the lower end of the quality Northampton shoe).

Meermin classic cap toe has a roundish toe (which is not the preference), but what can be seen from pictures and what people are saying on SF, it is better finished off (clean welt to sole gluing) and the quality of the leather is better as compared to Loake Aldwych. As you have been the proud owner of cap toe shoes from both the companies, can you share your opinion? If you had to make a choice between the two what would be your take and why?
Thanks.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like to write too much about things that have been covered already.

1. I only do shoe care to shoe when required, that is when shoes are scuffed and don't look nice, probably once every 2 months, but I do have a big pool of shoes to rotate. Simple brush and wipe off the dust, some reno or cream, depending on my mood, and finally some coloured wax, mainly in the toes, Done.

Feel free to experiment with different colours of cream and wax, don't see why you are sceptical.

2. Loake because it's better overall quality to me.

classics

Reaction score
Great!

Once again short and spot on recommendation, made the selection way more easier.

Thanks again!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really is important not to use care products too often. With new shoes, of which we are really fond, it is easy to overdo the care. I agree with Wurger that a good brushing is often all that is needed. It continues to surprise me that brushing can bring out such a deep and lustrous finish.

Proxy

Reaction score
Hi guys, what do you guys thing of the fit on this buckingham. Should I size down half a size? TIA

Last edited:

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, what do you guys think of the fit on this buckingham. Should I size down half a size? TIA

Based on those pictures, your shoes appear to be too tight, the lacing is too far apart. Sizing down would be folly.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads