• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

techaview

Reaction score
I'm in the market for burgundy shoes and both the Strands and Herring Richmond seem like good bets. I'm leaning toward the Strand, but there seems to be a debate about whether they go with dark denim or not.

@wurger or @techaview , could either of you post a pic to show us what it's like?
sorry i overlook this and the link on my iphone mail is not working. duno y...

let me tried to upload some photo here...with different lighting scenario. You can judge by yourself. And sorry I think I've worn them once with my chinos but never taken any picture. Have not wear them with denim yet...

Under natural light

Taken when brand new. Under white light

Polished with saphir rejuventor and saphir burgundy creme

Last edited:

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

let me tried to upload some photo here...with different lighting scenario. You can judge by yourself. And sorry I think I've worn them once with my chinos but never taken any picture. Have not wear them with denim yet...

Under natural light

Taken when brand new. Under white light

Polished with saphir rejuventor and saphir burgundy creme

Nice! Last picture looks the closet to what I see on the Loake website.

inno

Reaction score

No problem at all; thanks for sharing the pics. They're really nice shoes.

I asked only because I thought I saw a post from you (way back in this thread) that mentioned wearing them with jeans.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a rather odd question and the answer to it may be obvious. Loake's Buckingham and their Strands are both made on the Capital last. Does this mean that they are exact the same, in terms of shape? If I stood a Buckingham and a Strand, would the only difference be the broguing and colouring?

I want to buy another pair of Loakes but I don't particularly want two, very similar, pairs.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But if it the patterning was taken away, would the two shoes be the same in terms of size, shape and so on? Is the fit going to be the same for both types of shoe? I'm not talking about the look of the shoe but the fit of them. Does a last always churn out identical shoes, whatever the finish?

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But if it the patterning was taken away, would the two shoes be the same in terms of size, shape and so on?  Is the fit going to be the same for both types of shoe? I'm not talking about the look of the shoe but the fit of them. Does a last always churn out identical shoes, whatever the finish?

well, yes, that is what a last is for. Generally if you are buying different shoes in the same last, obviously get the same size.

but the different materials, and different stitches, and how the shoes are made, will make the new shoes feel different, but should feel similar after breaking in.

Roger la Rock

Reaction score
For the same last the overall size, shape and fit will be similar, but with different patterns you may get differences in the fit around the instep, especially with different styles of fastening.

The advantage of course is if you know a last fits well, you can be confident about ordering a different style in the same last.

As Wurger said, the pattern and colour are going to make a bigger difference to the look of the shoe. Even in the same shape, an Adelaide and a wingtip are still going to look quite different.

Even though you know the shape is the same, it can appear different with different patterns. For example, I have the Hyde boot and Cannon monk; the Hyde looks more chiseled, whereas the Cannon looks more rounded. Hard to say whether the optical illusion is caused by the punch cap or the wider welt on the boots.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, both, for your interesting and useful replies. I take your point about the details making a difference.

AaronC

Reaction score
Greeting fellow Loake users, I was wondering if any of you are using Saphir polishes for your tan shoes? I have a pair of tan Buckinghams and was wondering which colour Saphir polish best matches the colour of my Buckinghams. Thanks in advance!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Aaron. I have used light brown Saphir cream and wax polish. At the present, I am using Loake's own cream and wax because they exactly match the tan colour of their shoes. If you read the last 20 or so pages of this thread, you will find there is controversy over this use of 'shoe company polish'. Do note, though, that the Saphir light brown is not an exact match with Loake shoes. If you put an open tin of Loake wax next to one of Saphir you will see a distinct difference. Whatever you use, remember to use it very sparingly and don't use it too often.

classics

Reaction score
Greetings Gentlemen,

Have worn a pair of wonderful Loake Embankment (size UK8.5/ Last 025) for a few days and found out that this pair of Loake has a snug (more of a tight) fit for my toes, although it is not Uncomfortable.

The next on the list is the Loake Aldwych shoe. Loake's official last description says to go for a half size down when going from 025 last to capital last. My feet are more on a broad side with a high instep.

Can you guide me if the UK 8 or UK 8.5 would be a good fit when buying Loake Aldwych?

Thanks!

Last edited:

AaronC

Reaction score

Hello Aaron. I have used light brown Saphir cream and wax polish. At the present, I am using Loake's own cream and wax because they exactly match the tan colour of their shoes. If you read the last 20 or so pages of this thread, you will find there is controversy over this use of 'shoe company polish'. Do note, though, that the Saphir light brown is not an exact match with Loake shoes. If you put an open tin of Loake wax next to one of Saphir  you will see a distinct difference. Whatever you use, remember to use it very sparingly and don't use it too often. 

Thank you very much for the reply. Is the light brown slightly darker or lighter than the tan?

00Schneider

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I really need your help now.
I need to decide between half a size with these Loake Strand shoes.
The biggest problem is that the toes of my left foot are much wider than on the right.

Size 8,5: they were more comfortable at the beginning, but just a little bit too lose at the heel and more "air" between feet and leather at the top. I don't slip out but I notice it a bit when I walk.

Size 8: very tight, good fit on the right but on the left the toes are pushed together and it pushes hard on my pinky toe. On the other hand the heels are basically perfect, the don't hurt and there's no slipping out of the heel.

It's evening now, so I walked (in different shoes) around a bit.
What I need to consider: breaking them in (size 8) and possible less tightness at the toes vs. comfortable now (size 8,5) but might be too lose, especially if it loosens even more with time.
What do you think? (also considering getting older and wearing them for many years).
I could really need your feedback, thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads