• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Idk what you guys are talking about. Shell maintenance is super easy. You just brush it for like 30 seconds and it looks good as new. No products needed other than maybe a bone once in a blue moon.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I did an experiment and I put litmus paper in my sock and wore it all day. My sweat is about 4.5 on the pH scale. Well within reason for leather health. I think the issue might just be the abundance of it that causes destruction.
Technical questions apart (about whom I admit the utterest ignorance) you must be commended for your commitment.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if I had to pick one guy on the forum who just happened to have litmus paper on hand just in case, Patrick Booth would definitely have been my No1 choice
I actually use it often. I test my shaving soaps, coffee, tea, wine, fragrances. I like to stay on top of any potential hydrogen in my household.

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vinegar is even more acidic around 2.

Hahahaha.

Speaking of sweat, my sister (who is an avid runner) swears by Bamboo socks. Apparently they are great for sweaty feet.

Good 'ol Nike Coolmax ladies socks work for me. For my misses, they are ankle socks. For my feet, they are more like liners ?

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sodium chloride is neutral. Salts are generally formed as a byproduct of the equalisation of an acid meeting an alkali. Salt damages wet leather as a result of its hygroscopic nature. Salt has been used to preserve animal skins before tanning for centuries, so it doesn’t damage the material - wet leather has its moisture drawn by the salt on its surface, and the oils get drawn along with it. The tanning agent for most upper leather is indeed a salt, chromium salt

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sodium chloride is neutral. Salts are generally formed as a byproduct of the equalisation of an acid meeting an alkali. Salt damages wet leather as a result of its hygroscopic nature. Salt has been used to preserve animal skins before tanning for centuries, so it doesn’t damage the material - wet leather has its moisture drawn by the salt on its surface, and the oils get drawn along with it

Hence why checking your sodium chloride and acetic acid levels would prove beneficial ?. Aside from a healthy body, you would have healthy shoes.

Litmus tests are important! As I said, Patrick is a man of science.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sodium chloride is neutral. Salts are generally formed as a byproduct of the equalisation of an acid meeting an alkali. Salt damages wet leather as a result of its hygroscopic nature. Salt has been used to preserve animal skins before tanning for centuries, so it doesn’t damage the material - wet leather has its moisture drawn by the salt on its surface, and the oils get drawn along with it. The tanning agent for most upper leather is indeed a salt, chromium salt

Incidentally combining sweat (with its composition) with leather, wouldn't going sockless with loafers produce adverse effects on your shoes?

Specifically Shell, that doesn't appear to breathe much, be negatively affected by sockless usage? Or is that leather or any leather treated in a manner where (provided it has time to air out) would not be as adversely impacted?

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know how bad sweat is for leather in particular, when you consider some of the leatherwear that sees a long life in constant direct contact with sweat. Shoemakers wear a glove to protect their hands when welting, these things lasts decades of daily sweaty and hard use. Falconry gloves, metalworker gloves, motorcycle leathers - man those suits are soaking up all your body’s moisture on a hot day around a track. Seems odd that shoes would be particularly affected by sweat

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads