• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes Explained

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mfais
is tooling leather ever used for insoles? the outsole is NOT the same leather used for insoles, right?
Right...however... The main thing that you want for insole is a relatively loose fiber mat and long fibers. That means belly or shoulder. Outsole is prime and the fibers are short and dense. "Skirting" (essentially tooling leather) despite being softer than outsole is cut from the same part of the hide. Most Us tanners or tanners reps don't want to be bothered with shoulder or real belly--which is where insoles are usually cut. That said, some might use outsoling especially if it is cut near the belly. It's very hard to find insole shoulder in heavier weights such as might be used fora boot. I learned using outsole belly for insoles. And I know of one maker who uses a heavy "skirting" for insoles.

Shogun of Kobe

Reaction score
What you guys think about my shoes on the left side,all calf leather and italian design,I intend to sell them in the retail market,how much you think it's worth?I have all sizes and I was thinking about marketing them around U$225 dollars shipping included.

tgt465

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shogun of Kobe
What you guys think about my shoes on the left side,all calf leather and italian design,I intend to sell them in the retail market,how much you think it's worth?I have all sizes and I was thinking about marketing them around U$225 dollars shipping included.

Those shoes look horrible. Square toes are not good.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would ask for $300. Wait, did you say Italian made but not identify any particular brand? Make that $400.

Shogun of Kobe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
I would ask for $300. Wait, did you say Italian made but not identify any particular brand? Make that $400.

Thank you very much...your reply was very important to me...I appreciated...

Samovar McGee

Reaction score
I am a prosthetic employee, and I owe my livelihood to this forum. Thanks for all the shoe advice!!!

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
That's because it's a nine year old thread. The image hosting company has probably been bought and sold three times and declared bankruptcy since this thread was started.

Rankiz

Reaction score
Too bad... since I want to know the difference between all different shoe styles.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads