• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@DWFII I am talking about Horse Rump aka horse butt aka Horse Cutta aka Horse Strip

NOT Shell Cordovan. Basically the skin without the shell part

Well, I use horse strips for welting and I know some horse, not shell, was used for shoes (and bomber jackets) in the past. But I've never had access to it myself...that I know of.

That said, everything I said in my original reply pertains. Why wouldn't it?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bick4 is a good conditioner that can be used fairly liberally on any leather.Use it when the leather looks and feels dry and/or after cleaning.

I realize everyone is always searching for prettier looking and exotic name sounding products.
It could also be a lack of advertising or people do not appreciate Bick's simplistic packaging, but Bick4 is a fantastic product.

I find it saturates well, easy to use, and can be used on a multitude of leathers (as suggested by @DWFII). Bick4 just seems more effective than the more expensive brands available on the market.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At the end of the day, it's still leather.
I realize everyone is always searching for prettier looking and exotic name sounding products.
It could also be a lack of advertising or people do not appreciate Bick's simplistic packaging, but Bick4 is a fantastic product.

I find it saturates well, easy to use, and can be used on a multitude of leathers (as suggested by @DWFII). Bick4 just seems more effective than the more expensive brands available on the market.

Exactly. :fonz: :cheers: ?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do like Bick 4, but I am somewhat skeptical of an aspect of it. It seems to evaporate all too well. I wonder how much of it is just water mixed with cyclosiloxane that simply evaporates off the leather. I tend to favor Lexol because it doesn't contain wax, does wet the hide, as does Back 4, however there is evidence on the leather that there is a residue. That said, it can be overused.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do like Bick 4, but I am somewhat skeptical of an aspect of it. It seems to evaporate all too well. I wonder how much of it is just water mixed with cyclosiloxane that simply evaporates off the leather. I tend to favor Lexol because it doesn't contain wax, does wet the hide, as does Back 4, however there is evidence on the leather that there is a residue. That said, it can be overused.
Lexol is a great conditioner. I use it nearly interchangeably with Bick4. I suspect Lexol has more water than Bick4, however.

And I like the slipperiness of the B4...maybe a maker's thing but I chase pipes and wrinkles far more than the average bloke and it is a fine lubricant for the bones and the rub sticks I use--it prevents abrasion of the finish and leaves no greasy residue.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What you like about it is exactly why I am skeptical. The thickness and slippery nature of it is exactly what cyclosiloxanes are meant to do, help with thickness and lubrication and then burn off, much like an alcohol.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What you like about it is exactly why I am skeptical. The thickness and slippery nature of it is exactly what cyclosiloxanes are meant to do, help with thickness and lubrication and then burn off, much like an alcohol.

No doubt, but I don't see the downside...again it may be a maker's thing.

In my experience, however, it doesn't burn off like alcohol...pulling conditioners with it.... I use it enough to know that some, if not most, of the fat liquor in it are left behind...I can see the change in the leather, and sometimes, depending on how much I use and how I use it, even the colour of light toned leathers.

Nothing wrong with Lexol.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

bjhofkin

Reaction score
My understanding is that "horsebutt" typically refers to the skin PLUS the shell layer beneath.

So for shell lovers (not me), you get some of the perks of shell, like "rolling" or whatever (again, not a huge shell lover here), while also getting the benefits of the SKIN layer – such as, you know, actual leather grain.

In my experience it can be fantastic stuff – beautiful, pronounced, but tight grain. Very informal, but lovely if that's the aesthetic you're going for.

I am not sure what you're talking about. AFAIK, the 'rump' is often or even usually synonymous with shell. And in any case much depends on the tannage, etc..

Bick4 is a good conditioner that can be used fairly liberally on any leather.Use it when the leather looks and feels dry and/or after cleaning.

I suspect, pigmented shoe cream is designed to be safe. You can use it on nearly any leather...how effective in adding or changing colour it will be depends on the product and your diligence.
@DWFII I am talking about Horse Rump aka horse butt aka Horse Cutta aka Horse Strip

NOT Shell Cordovan. Basically the skin without the shell part

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Through all of my experimentation I think it is largely an overrated concept.

I'd agree...esp. for the consumer, brushing regularly is far more important.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads