• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lapels without Button hole?

GQBADBOY

Reaction score
In any case, I went to my local tailor to get this feature added.

I guess if I've noticed it, then I should get the job done right.

tlmusic

Reaction score
At Cicchini Custom Clothiers in Birmingham, MI, the house style features no lapel buttonholes. This is on $5000 handmade bespoke suits. When I asked them about this unusual feature, they said this is to show the suits are "custom."

GQBADBOY

Reaction score
Hmm...I think I'd want a suit with a lapels - a suit's not a suit without lapels, unless you mean without lapel buttonholes.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQBADBOY
Hmm...I think I'd want a suit with a lapels - a suit's not a suit without lapels, unless you mean without lapel buttonholes.

My mistake. Fixed...

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just took a suit in for alteration and it had a fake buttonhole. I am having him turn itinto a real buttonhole so that I can put a small flower in there.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a movement towards no boutonniere in the lapel. Men's tailored clothes trend towards minamilism and functionality.

As an interesting comparison, this is similar to military clothes of nation's that have not been at war for a while. Once engaged in one, you will notice that the parade ground frills which make their way into combat clothes dispappear quickly in the field.

My tailor likes to omit a bouttoniere in a single breasted peak lapel jacket because he thinks it presents an uninterrupted line. It took me a while to come around to this look but he is right. Also, I dont like to interrupt his look. When I buy a suit from him, I generally want his genius and not some bastardized look formed by me trying to get him to do something from a photo.

I do like the buttoniere in the single breasted notch and the double breasted jacket. To my eye, they complete the look. I suppose I am old fashioned in that respect.

twodegree

Reaction score
Do tailors have any problem matching the thread that was used to make the other buttonholes on the suit? I had a suit made in Korea and the jackass who made it added a buttonhole on the lapel that was the same as the ones he used for the jacket buttons. It pissed me off. He'll have to remake the whole suit, right?

Isaias

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads