• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Landscapes that inspire you

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The beautiful view I see every morning from my bedroom.

The street and shops I see every day during my commute by taxi or bus. These have certainly inspired what I wear and the way I dress

Last edited:

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Villa Escudero Restaurant- what's more relaxing than eating with your hands, barefoot and letting the river tickle your toes infront of a waterfall.

caramelized fried plantains and fresh young coconut juice.....sooo goood

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Synthese.

My interests include:
wind and sand and dust and rock and sun and blood and salt and thunder and iron and rain and ruin and winter

What I look for in a landscape:
Liminality, overlap, dissonance, the epic. Empty space and solitude feature heavily, as does vertigo.

Some other landscapes that I have liked in the past have included:
the wide-open plains, the giant dome of the sky, the wildness of the Rockies, the airless claustrophobia of New Hampshire forests. Parisian romanticism is something that is always at the back of my mind, as is the grit of eastern Europe. The British landscape and the associated mythology is always a source of inspiration. For that matter, I think that landscape and mythology are so intertwined in my had that they're practically inextricable, wherever I am.

I think you can see most of these places in the way I dress. It's a real mash-up, though. For example, I've spent more time in France than I have in California, so my view of "the West" is really a more of a view of the Rockies. I feel like I've got so many little snippets of memory from things as disparate as Czech castles to Victorian railways to New England yacht races that all my colors start to bleed outside the lines, a little bit.

sjUs9vXl.jpg

JoZA5pXl.jpg

h1DEh7Fl.jpg

me6OsUNl.jpg

ovVHOEMl.jpg

RwEKW6Il.jpg

dpjy8hHl.jpg

lp6Yr3Jl.jpg

it32i5Pl.jpg

VB1ba8Jl.jpg

UmK7REOl.jpg

u363IqUl.jpg

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
def. ^ the glow of the orange streetlights and the sky that never gets totally black, but stays a smoggy dark amber.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Synth - I really am inspired by your photos on the apocalyptasaur site.

It's what I imagine makes the perfect back drop for the bleak, minimal, deconstructed aesthetic that's part of SZ, etc. (probably not so much the medievalists, but the abandonned and ruined churches, etc).

There's an element of fragile beauty and sublime decay that's quite attractive and interesting.

tl;dr version: Synth's photos on his website make me want to dress like a death scarecrow.

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks! I was actually out and about a couple of weeks ago, and meant to post some things here too:

XmDVJV1l.jpg

What you can't hear is the wuthering

Ew1Rm7vl.jpg

ZAVVtB3l.jpg

(Sorry for tumblr crossposting...hopefully that's not too gauche)

Anyway, I meant to come over here and write a really long post about landscape and stuff, but then I got sidetracked by a martini and it's just going to have to wait.

Last edited:

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Nice shots - it doesn't look too grim up north ;)

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ha! It has actually been incredibly beautiful here for the past week or so - 16-18, sunny, no rain. I haven't spent much time out on the moors - not nearly as much as I'd like - but it's stunningly beautiful up here, and I absolutely love the walking. I also love the isolation - you might be five minutes from town (town being the five buildings down the hill), but with the wind and the heather you might as well be on the moon. It's fantastic.

Last edited:

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ZAVVtB3l.jpg

(Sorry for tumblr crossposting...hopefully that's not too gauche)

Anyway, I meant to come over here and write a really long post about landscape and stuff, but then I got sidetracked by a martini and it's just going to have to wait.

With a change in seasons here in the antipodes, this is great stuff. I love how un-Australian it is.

I was wandering around town last week, amazed at how, in nature, colour changes work perfectly: red and green, purple and green, red and brown - colours that so easily clash awkwardly, or jar seem to be at perfect balance in nature. In this case: yellows, browns and the near-purples in the background.

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The idea that a landscapes inspire wardrobe is stretching it for me. But I still find them inspiring. And maybe there are some shared traits between my favorite places and clothes. The ocean and its multi-changing qualities -- peace, beauty, joy, terror -- is my landscape of choice. These are not my local scenes, but I can relate to them nonetheless. They also remind me a little of some of my favorite things.

Dries Van Noten prints

Yohji cotton pants

Rick Owens leather

Japanese denim

Stan Smiths

heritage / Americana / Junya

0.jpg

what nirvana feels like

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps when we're saying 'inspire,' what we really mean is 'influence?'

Even so, I think they're both probably accurate.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really would love to take more photos. Especially with the amount of time I spend on my bike, I see a crazy amount of beautiful scenery.

baltimore, not my photos

rural maryland, excuse the shittastic instagram filter

generally not a fan of nyc, but I think this photo is cool

from my home town, not my photos

and finally, from upstate ny

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads