• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knit Sweater Fit Quandary

Best Fit?

• Small

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Medium

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

lazyloki

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Picked up a PRL cashmere sweater at very deep discount earlier today. They only had two left, one in small and one in medium. I didn't have time to try on in store and since they were so cheap I bought both - I'll return one tomorrow.

The thing is, not having much experience with knitwear, I've no idea which one to keep. Both seem to fit roughly the same and due to the construction, they both have plenty of stretch in the fabric. One of my concerns is that the M will stretch after a few wears and become a little shapeless.

I have a 39" (ish) chest so according to the size chart I should go with the medium (the website claims that S is for 34-36 - do any grown men actually have a 34" chest?!). My instinct is to keep the small - as the patches are suede I doubt I'll be washing the piece much so shrinkage shouldn't be a problem. It's a fairly 'outdoorsy' type sweater though so maybe I'm better off with the more relaxed fit on the M.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, which one do you think?! I'm truly useless when it comes to deciding between two sizes!

Small:

Medium:

As ever, apologies for the crappy pictures - not enough natural light in this damn house!

Cheers!

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: fit.

The sleeves on the medium appear to be too long, both at the cuff and at the elbow patch. The medium's shoulders are a bit wide. The waist looks more trim on the small as well. I'd keep the small and take the medium back but I prefer close fitting clothing.

Last edited:

lazyloki

Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion, I had noted myself that the sleeves on the medium are a touch long. I really have no experience of wool clothing (other than suits of course) but I assume that the garment will stretch out a bit over time?

The pictures aren't great, I know, but the elbow patch on the medium isn't actually all that different from the small. The patches go from the elbow quite far down the forearm.

Last edited:

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sleeves are sweaters can usually be cuffed (no need to stitch anything. Just rolled them up a bit). The small and medium look pretty similar. The medium is a little more relaxed looking, which is what I'd prefer. The small (to me at least) gives off a bit of a 1970s look since it is a tad tight.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
....curious to know how you wandered into a clothing store if you didn't even have a few extra minutes to try on the sweater?

To answer your question, I like the picture of the small more. In comparison, the medium is unnecessarily full in the body, and the sleeves are noticeably too long. That's a pretty sweet-looking sweater though.

lazyloki

Reaction score
....curious to know how you wandered into a clothing store if you didn't even have a few extra minutes to try on the sweater?

To answer your question, I like the picture of the small more. In comparison, the medium is unnecessarily full in the body, and the sleeves are noticeably too long. That's a pretty sweet-looking sweater though.
Thanks for your input on the sizing!

In answer to your curiosity, it was Harrods and I was in there to pick up something specific from a different (non-clothing) department before making a flight out of London. I noticed the sweater as I was battling through the crowds on my way out. Then I noticed the price reduction - RRP of £649 down to £149 (I'd never have paid the RRP). They only had the two left and I figured at that price I might as well pick them both up rather than risk the other not being there when I get back to London.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads