• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JR Rendenbach Closing

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there are two dimensions to consider here.

On one hand, you have practical benefits that accrue from good quality shoe construction. High quality leather and good leather soles go a long way to making the shoe last, feel good, and look good. The reason that it is so damaging that JR is going under, is that we are missing out on something that really does make a difference in regards to shoes: namely, how long the leather sole will last. If you like leather soles, like I do, this matters a lot. I don't want to have to spend 100+ dollars on a resole every year, when I could go 3-4 years before I need a resole.

On the other hand, you have questions of high quality vs. highest quality. With all deference to the greatest and most finely made pair of shoes in the world, there isn't as much of a difference between the highest quality shoes and the entry level, well made shoe, as compared to the entry level, well made shoe and crap shoes.

For instance: I love stacked leather heels, but they aren't that much better than leatherboard. Nevertheless, they are certainly better than dogshit that J&M or something will use, where it isn't even leather, it isn't even paper, it's a fake rubber thing that is meant to mimic leather.

For this reason, there is going to most assuredly be a place in the RTW world where some costs are cut in order to make a difference between the Allen Edmonds vs. the Bespoke Masterpieces of the world.

If anyone is going to bemoan the fact that not every shoe in the world is made to the highest standards, then they better start thinking of a way of making it profitable and affordable, because right now, most people can't afford 5000 dollars for a bespoke pair of shoes that can feature all these things. Hell, even a pair of Edward Greens is prohibitively expensive for most people - 1,300 dollars for a pair of shoes is extremely expensive for most people.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
then what are people saying? Are peoples lives really at a loss because of this? I don't get it

People are unhappy that one of the major sources of quality soles is going out of business. Why this is a problem for you confuses me.

Most recently what was being discussed was the loss of resoling potential among local, American cobblers.

So pretty much the exact opposite of "elves and old Italians."

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
then what are people saying? Are peoples lives really at a loss because of this? I don't get it

Listen, we understand it's not life or death.

We know we won't die without JR soles.

We are upset because we like quality leather soles when we resole our shoes. It's a loss for a lot of cobblers who we frequent, too, as this is a service they offered people like us who are willing to spend a little extra to get a very fine quality sole.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People are unhappy that one of the major sources of quality soles is going out of business. Why this is a problem for you confuses me.

Most recently what was being discussed was the loss of resoling potential among local, American cobblers.

So pretty much the exact opposite of "elves and old Italians."
ok so 1st world problems.....

How many of y'all actually have JR soles? Is their pending closure gonna affect your lives? If so, how?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so 1st world problems.....

How many of y'all actually have JR soles? Is their pending closure gonna affect your lives? If so, how?

You're on Styleforum. What isn't a 1st world problem?

I wore JR soles yesterday on Vass Budapesters.

I have a local cobbler in Koreatown who I get resoles from. I'm not due on any pairs for a while, so it won't affect me in the near future.

I hope my cobbler who runs an independent business and has a 6 year old daughter doesn't lose valuable business. Whenever I walk in he has lots of re-soles going on. In fact he was recommended to me by this forum for doing Lulu tips, and sole maintenance/tips seems to be a good bit of his business.

I think the better question is why you've decided to **** on this topic?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listen, we understand it's not life or death.

We know we won't die without JR soles.

We are upset because we like quality leather soles when we resole our shoes. It's a loss for a lot of cobblers who we frequent, too, as this is a service they offered people like us who are willing to spend a little extra to get a very fine quality sole.
everyone knows that topy is the move!

I don't think the loss of JR soles is gonna leave anyone stranded. Leather soles are somewhat the same, unless JR was known to withstand wear and tear to a higher degree.........

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're on Styleforum. What isn't a 1st world problem?

I wore JR soles yesterday on Vass Budapesters.

I have a local cobbler in Koreatown who I get resoles from. I'm not due on any pairs for a while, so it won't affect me in the near future.

I hope my cobbler who runs an independent business and has a 6 year old daughter doesn't lose valuable business. Whenever I walk in he has lots of re-soles going on. In fact he was recommended to me by this forum for doing Lulu tips, and sole maintenance/tips seems to be a good bit of his business.

I think the better question is why you've decided to **** on this topic?
why so emotional dawg?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
everyone knows that topy is the move!

I don't think the loss of JR soles is gonna leave anyone stranded. Leather soles are somewhat the same, unless JR was known to withstand wear and tear to a higher degree.........

That is precisely what it was known for. Most estimates place ita round 3-4 times longer than an average leather sole of the same thickness.

The quality of the tanning process also made it natively more resistant to water.

I have about 35 shoes. 1/3rd of them have JR soles, and I was hoping to make more of them have JR soles when it came time to resole. Generally, I only resole with JR soles, as it isn't worth my money to invest in a resole and get a standard option that might last only 1 year of wear.

As Validus says, we also care about our cobblers. They do good work for us. My cobbler might lose money off this.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eye-roll-ugh.gif

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is precisely what it was known for. Most estimates place ita round 3-4 times longer than an average leather sole of the same thickness.

The quality of the tanning process also made it natively more resistant to water.

I have about 35 shoes. 1/3rd of them have JR soles, and I was hoping to make more of them have JR soles when it came time to resole. Generally, I only resole with JR soles, as it isn't worth my money to invest in a resole and get a standard option that might last only 1 year of wear.

As Validus says, we also care about our cobblers. They do good work for us. My cobbler might lose money off this.
good to know - I learned something new ;)

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, you have questions of high quality vs. highest quality. With all deference to the greatest and most finely made pair of shoes in the world, there isn't as much of a difference between the highest quality shoes and the entry level, well made shoe, as compared to the entry level, well made shoe and crap shoes.

For instance: I love stacked leather heels, but they aren't that much better than leatherboard. Nevertheless, they are certainly better than dogshit that J&M or something will use, where it isn't even leather, it isn't even paper, it's a fake rubber thing that is meant to mimic leather.

For this reason, there is going to most assuredly be a place in the RTW world where some costs are cut in order to make a difference between the Allen Edmonds vs. the Bespoke Masterpieces of the world.
I don’t even know where to start with this take but it’s pretty much the exact thing DW outlined as to why in his opinion JR is gone.

Setting aside my initial reaction that you’re very wrong about the differences between say Allen Edmonds and an actual well made shoe my question is where do you stop cutting corners then? What’s the acceptable number of short cuts, lesser construction, worse materials, lazy craftsmanship for a shoe to qualify as well made? Is it Allen Edmonds? Leatherboard heels? Celastic stiffeners? Corrected grain leather? Thin insoles? Replacing the footbed with cork? How about with memory foam? A new kind of glue?

Sure - Well made shoes aren’t cheap. But they are without a shadow of a doubt better. Markedly so. But they’re also not unobtabium or something. If people opted to buy fewer, better things I’d wager the vast majority of the guys in the AE thread could absolutely afford handwelted shoes with better leather, better construction, better components. Hell - Some of those collections in there would fund all the bespoke pairs you’d ever need.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads