• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JoS. A. Bank - Quality/Contruction/Pricing Answers

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wstewart03
On the pants, what are the sales that normally come around? Anything coming up soon?

Right now all dress trousers are buy one get one free. That should be the offer for a while.

kilgore65

Reaction score
I have a glen plaid JAB suit that I just love. Fits me perfectly. But it is probably at least 12 years old, and carries a Made in USA label, union made. Wonderful fall/winter suit. However, I doubt I could find that suit at JAB today.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kilgore65
I have a glen plaid JAB suit that I just love. Fits me perfectly. But it is probably at least 12 years old, and carries a Made in USA label, union made. Wonderful fall/winter suit. However, I doubt I could find that suit at JAB today.

I don't think JAB has Made in the USA suits anymore. As mcmillin mentioned their higher end suits are made in Italy.

Liberty Ship

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread, mcmillin. I've settled in to the Joseph line and am very happy with the quality and fit. I also have a couple of Signature Golds; and some poplin suits for summer, which I got for $99 each!

I have a question about your formal wear. You have the classics: peak lapels and shawl collars, both of which can be hard to find, especially at a reasonable price. I have one of your shawls. But how come your vests are all "mallwear," 5-button vests that look like they should go with a suit? Why don't you have classic, low cut waistcoat with lapels? I had to seek one out elsewhere.

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
McMillin -

The JAB nearest me is fairly large, yet they simply don't stock any suits or sport coats in short. Isn't that nuts?

I'd buy JAB at typical discount prices if you just brought up the armscyes. I can't stand the way a heavy shoulder and a low armscye makes my jacket sleeve pull back whenever I don't have my hands down at my sides.

A lot of people are saying that the prices are rather high for what you get, compared to other sources, and because I have issues with JAB's fit I agree, so - what's the trick to compounding discounts? I've waited for your half-off everything (but shoes) sales, and tried to pick up a $200 item from clearance for $100 and been surprised when the total rings up. Obviously I've got the wrong idea about how it works, so what more is there to know?

EDIT: Oh, also, I get their mailers, but your post is the first I've heard about this buy a suit, get a free suit and sportcoat promotion. How do I get on the extra-special mailing list that clues me into this stuff?

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcmillin
Admission: I am a store manager for JoS. A. Bank.

Reason for post: I have seen SO much incorrect information about our products posted on this forum and would like to offer my services to answer questions with valid information. I know JoS. A. Bank is not very highly regarded on these pages, but a lot of what I have read is biased - if not completely incorrect.

If you have any questions about our quality, fit, styles, fabrics, construction, sales, etc...please do not hesitate to post back on this thread. I will gladly provide you with the factual product knowledge and try my best not to twist it (too much) with my opinion.
cheers.gif

Why do your commercials seem like they were designed by shady used car dealers? I mute the tv/change the channel whenever one comes on. The radio ads are just as bad.

Al_Merick

Reaction score
Question regarding alterations:

I just purchased two suits earlier today, in fact, along with a sport coat. The store had to order one of the suits from the factory in my size so I did not proceed with any alterations. I saw a few posts back that you mentioned prices for alterations performed. The salesmen did not mention I would have to pay for any alterations, aside from having the trousers re-cut to remove the pleats. Should I expect to pay for alterations when they receive the other suit from the factory and I go in for my first fitting?

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Al_Merick
Question regarding alterations:

I just purchased two suits earlier today, in fact, along with a sport coat. The store had to order one of the suits from the factory in my size so I did not proceed with any alterations. I saw a few posts back that you mentioned prices for alterations performed. The salesmen did not mention I would have to pay for any alterations, aside from having the trousers re-cut to remove the pleats. Should I expect to pay for alterations when they receive the other suit from the factory and I go in for my first fitting?

I am really sorry that I didn't respond to your post earlier. I don't think I ever got an alert that there was a new response to the thread. To answer your question, yes - you will always be charged for alterations when they are chalked and put into the tailor shop. It really balances out - while you do pay for alterations that you require, you don't end up paying an amount built-in to the merchandise price for alterations that you don't need.

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liberty Ship
Thanks for this thread, mcmillin. I've settled in to the Joseph line and am very happy with the quality and fit. I also have a couple of Signature Golds; and some poplin suits for summer, which I got for $99 each!

I have a question about your formal wear. You have the classics: peak lapels and shawl collars, both of which can be hard to find, especially at a reasonable price. I have one of your shawls. But how come your vests are all "mallwear," 5-button vests that look like they should go with a suit? Why don't you have classic, low cut waistcoat with lapels? I had to seek one out elsewhere.

I believe we did carry a waistcoat in the past, but due to such a low demand, it unfortunately did not make fiscal sense to carry it forward. Most men are looking for that (ugh) "rental vest" because that is what they are used to seeing at weddings and other formal occasions. Most men are afraid to wear anything that might be deemed "eccentric" or "dandy".

I am happy to hear that you have been pleased with our clothing that you do have - and I really love the shawl collar...good choice!

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RatherAnOddball
McMillin - The JAB nearest me is fairly large, yet they simply don't stock any suits or sport coats in short. Isn't that nuts? I'd buy JAB at typical discount prices if you just brought up the armscyes. I can't stand the way a heavy shoulder and a low armscye makes my jacket sleeve pull back whenever I don't have my hands down at my sides. A lot of people are saying that the prices are rather high for what you get, compared to other sources, and because I have issues with JAB's fit I agree, so - what's the trick to compounding discounts? I've waited for your half-off everything (but shoes) sales, and tried to pick up a $200 item from clearance for $100 and been surprised when the total rings up. Obviously I've got the wrong idea about how it works, so what more is there to know? EDIT: Oh, also, I get their mailers, but your post is the first I've heard about this buy a suit, get a free suit and sportcoat promotion. How do I get on the extra-special mailing list that clues me into this stuff?
I am surprised to hear that they don't carry Shorts in your size. I manage one of the absolute smallest retail stores we have, and even I have a selection of Shorts in my store. While you might not find the fabrics you want in your size, they would have samples in other sizes so you could see the patterns/quality (at the very least, a fabric swatch) and would be able to order them from our Direct Connect online catalog and have them at the store for you in 2 business days. I will admit, that we have a very specific fit in our regular lines. It tend to fit the majority of men pretty well, but there are absolutely bodies that it is not flattering for. That's why I recommend the Joseph line to those that actually need a higher armscye. I really like that line, but unfortunately, I am a 48L. At my height and build, I prefer a 3-button and side vents do nothing but emphasize a wide ass...lol. (BTW, good luck finding someone in a retail store that knows what the word "armscye" means.) In regards to the discounts, there are VERY few instances that you get to "double dip" (retail term, haha). Discounts are almost always listed as off of regular price...clearance prices during these promotions would be "best of", meaning that you would get the best price available whether that be the marked clearance price or the advertised discount from the regular price. We have another 50% sale coming up on June 16th (with a preview day on the 15th). There really is no "Extra Special" mailing list. Most of our promotions are targeted marketing based on past purchasing history. There are a few things that I could check with you, though, to make sure you are getting every offer that you should be. Send me an private message here or e-mail me at [email protected] and I can give you my # at the store and set up a phone appointment.

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JibranK
Why do your commercials seem like they were designed by shady used car dealers? I mute the tv/change the channel whenever one comes on. The radio ads are just as bad.

Those of us that work in-store hate them just as much. I'm the first to ridicule the JO!seph A! BANK! man when I hear him on TV, haha. I'd say hit mute instead of changing the channel...we've been having some amazing promotions lately - believe me, I've been busy as hell, lol.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mcmillin,

I'm in Houston, Tx. with a fairly nice JAB store on W. Gray near Shepherd Dr.. A few years ago I bought a bunch of short sleeve solid colored 100% silk shirts ( made in China ) which seemed to be a JAB house brand and were decent for what I wanted and the price was certainly right. They had a square bottom and small slits on the sides so they were easy to wear not tucked into my pants. I wouldn't mind getting a few more colors.

Are you familiar with these JAB silk shirts and are they still carried?

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
mcmillin,

I'm in Houston, Tx. with a fairly nice JAB store on W. Gray near Shepherd Dr.. A few years ago I bought a bunch of short sleeve solid colored 100% silk shirts ( made in China ) which seemed to be a JAB house brand and were decent for what I wanted and the price was certainly right. They had a square bottom and small slits on the sides so they were easy to wear not tucked into my pants. I wouldn't mind getting a few more colors.

Are you familiar with these JAB silk shirts and are they still carried?

I do know what you are talking about. First, all of our merchandise is "house brand", so it will be the same shirt you found earlier. What you have is either the VIP (Vacation in Paradise) or Signature campshirt. You will find the VIP shirts at http://www.josbank.com/IWProductSear...irt&SortBy=BSL and the Signature campshirts here: http://www.josbank.com/IWCatProductP...duct_Id=521239

I think it's the VIP you're looking for...Give your local store a chance before you order online. We love meeting our clients in person and can offer much better service than a few mouse-clicks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads