• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WhaleShark

Reaction score
Kinda like the way the textures of the Sundrenched Folsom and Ash Denim match up.
FCE1CDE1-D5E8-4B54-BA54-FD4D8B2BC19F.jpeg
6B191E24-7D77-47DF-AE7C-1ECAB316A65D.jpeg

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to always get questions about the denim I’m wearing on IG or what my favorite denim is, so I thought I’d write a review of the two pairs of Daze I’m recently copped. If you’ve seen me in denim recently, its likely one of these pairs. The nice thing is, they are in stock again, so you don’t have to cry about not being able to cop. In stock, be quick!

If you don’t like to read my reviews, I’ll keep it short:

TL;DR: This denim is a great updated cut from JE worth your attention, time and money.

Here are some fit pics because you can’t be bothered to read:
D9947A58-078A-4372-9547-270384B02A51.jpeg
FAB408B4-5589-4994-9A87-9A9DF081D5EB.jpeg

5B168E16-E37C-4179-859C-57A5E457C4BB.jpeg

For everyone else, lets get into it…

CUT & SIZING
:
I thought I’d start with the cut, because it always seem that people are looking for a slim or “looser” pair of denim. JE describes the cut as a “Classic straight leg fit with a medium rise and slight taper…”. IMO I think they are more of a ”slim” than a straight. I really like the cut, its not too wide and it’s a great length. The shorties will love the length. It’s not cropped by any means, but it shorter than the Cast 2, so expect minimal stacking.

With regards to the fit, I purchased my pairs true to size (TTS) and i couldn’t be happier. Recently, I moved to buying the cast 2 +1 from my TTS, which allowed for more of a "slim" skinny fit rather than painted on. If anyone cares, this is how John sizes his cast 2 denim (TTS +1).

Anyway, in my TTS the top block is fitted (not tight) and opens up in the thigh to the knee and slightly tapers toward the hem. It's a very clean fit. If you're looking for flares, these are not the pants for you. If you're not @j023, these are likely the pants for you if you're looking to venture out of skinny denim. They are incredibly comfortable for being 100% cotton denim. They remind me of when I first tried on the cast 2 and couldn't help but think that JE put a lot of thought into the cut, the rise, the thighs. these pants were built for comfort. The daze is the "Modern" 2021 Cast 2.

Now I want to bring up that quite a few people sized up on these, which I am a bit surprised about. The daze Is a mid-rise so it is pretty accommodating, especially in the carbon and coast washes.

COLOR/WASH:
Now let's talk about the carbon and the coast and their respective washes. In typical JE denim fashion, the coast seems to fit a slightly tighter than the carbons. This seems to be a common theme with JE denim (Black/dark washes fit "looser" than indigo washes).
The carbon color is pretty spot on with the Cast 2 carbon.
7D6D9E78-A4BA-4CAA-A1A4-1CC186769A1E.jpeg

Its a nice rich black with subtle fading/whiskers in the crotch and thigh.
4AF3745F-E68D-49C5-B81A-96098631657F.jpeg
5590013F-7597-4DA4-AA4C-8A530DFD97B9.jpeg
There are also some subtle details like fraying at the pockets and the hem.

The Coast is now called the coast 2, and in my opinion it is an improvement on its predecessor. I'm not a huge fan of "light" colored denim because I am particular about washes. The old coast had a greenish/cyan undertone to it which I hated. Added the dirty/muddy brown wash which added some "reddish"/orange overtones...it just didn't work for me. I like my washed denim to be "clean", washed out but not filthy.

The Coast 2 is pretty much that. Its a nice washed out indigo, with fading along the thighs down to the knees.
475DE50F-87D4-412C-8FEB-E097F5B78F70.jpeg

The whiskers and honeycombs are pretty subtle which makes the wash very realistic for a "washed out" pain of vintage denim.
6634B234-6AB4-484B-84CF-BE90940628A6.jpeg
0B28894B-DF9A-4DFD-9CF4-027D5C58FE9C.jpeg
Too many times you see washed out indigo denim with intense whiskers and it really boggles your mind. These look like a stonewashed/or washed out pair of Levis, very "on trend". the only "dirt" I notice on my pair seems to be on the top block, along the front pockets and the back pockets, which looks very realistic.
87CB57CD-AE9C-4CF9-A645-2DD2C5326CE4.jpeg
I can't say I noticed it much elsewhere, but I do want to note that the denim overall has a subtle yellow/brown warmth to it, very "vintage".

CONSTRUCTION:

The denim continues to be made in Japan. Like all JE products made in Japan, the quality is top notch. I didn't see any glaring errors, loose threads, etc etc. Both the carbons and coast 2 utilize the blackout/gunmetal hardware. Probably the only mishap in these pairs. Now I agree with the carbons have darker hardware, but I wish the shank and rivets on the coast were the silver ones that were utilized on the new sashilko thumper.
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 6.22.41 PM.png

Surprising the daze denim in sashiko also utilize the gun metal hardware, which seems like an odd dissonance.
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 6.20.33 PM.png

The devil is in the details, and I think the brand should really move towards lighter hardware for their lighter indigo pairs of denim. But I am sure there is a rationale behind it (same raw indigo base pair for all washes, logistic issues/difficulty obtaining hardware during the pandemic?).

Anyway, besides that "slip up" I think the denim is beautifully constructed. Both pairs are a mid weight denim (unlike the daze raw). Like all daze these are 100% cotton, there is no stretch in these, so really take the sizing charts to heart. If you're like me, old, then you really don't want to f*ck with buying a pair to tight and waiting for them to break in. Long gone are the days for me of sleeping in denim to facilitate stretch... SMH

the denim is non-selvedge but of very good quality.
0899387E-16B2-459C-B624-049C9D299CD7.jpeg
The construction maintains the same details you'd expect in high end Japanese denim, chain-stitched hems/waistband, hidden rivets for the back pockets, etc etc.
07D5F54F-BD53-42EF-A4F2-54D98565E51A.jpeg

CONCLUSIONS/THOUGHTS:
Overall, both pairs are great. Currently my favorite pairs of "straight" (IMO slim) denim out. Now I know, inevitably, I'm going to get a lot of questions about choosing one wash over the other. If I had a gun to my head I'd choose the coast, but honestly I think they are both great and worthy of being in anyones rotation. Anyway, the denim is great, just my 2 cents.
3DBFDD8C-1141-43E1-9AB3-6D8A0F24F61F.jpeg

✌️

WhaleShark

Reaction score
I seem to always get questions about the denim I’m wearing on IG or what my favorite denim is, so I thought I’d write a review of the two pairs of Daze I’m recently copped. If you’ve seen me in denim recently, its likely one of these pairs. The nice thing is, they are in stock again, so you don’t have to cry about not being able to cop. In stock, be quick!

TL;DR: This denim is a great updated cut from JE worth your attention, time and money.

View attachment 1694539 View attachment 1694540
View attachment 1694547

CUT & SIZING
:
I thought I’d start with the cut, because it always seem that people are looking for a slim or “looser” pair of denim. JE describes the cut as a “Classic straight leg fit with a medium rise and slight taper…”. IMO I think they are more of a ”slim” than a straight. I really like the cut, its not too wide and it’s a great length. The shorties will love the length. It’s not cropped by any means, but it shorter than the Cast 2, so expect minimal stacking.

With regards to the fit, I purchased my pairs true to size (TTS) and i couldn’t be happier. Recently, I moved to buying the cast 2 +1 from my TTS, which allowed for more of a "slim" skinny fit rather than painted on. If anyone cares, this is how John sizes his cast 2 denim (TTS +1).

Anyway, in my TTS the top block is fitted (not tight) and opens up in the thigh to the knee and slightly tapers toward the hem. It's a very clean fit. If you're looking for flares, these are not the pants for you. If you're not @j023, these are likely the pants for you if you're looking to venture out of skinny denim. They are incredibly comfortable for being 100% cotton denim. They remind me of when I first tried on the cast 2 and couldn't help but think that JE put a lot of thought into the cut, the rise, the thighs. these pants were built for comfort. The daze is the "Modern" 2021 Cast 2.

Now I want to bring up that quite a few people sized up on these, which I am a bit surprised about. The daze Is a mid-rise so it is pretty accommodating, especially in the carbon and coast washes.

COLOR/WASH:
Now let's talk about the carbon and the coast and their respective washes. In typical JE denim fashion, the coast seems to fit a slightly tighter than the carbons. This seems to be a common theme with JE denim (Black/dark washes fit "looser" than indigo washes).
View attachment 1694536
Its a nice rich black with subtle fading/whiskers in the crotch and thigh. View attachment 1694529 View attachment 1694532 There are also some subtle details like fraying at the pockets and the hem.

The Coast is now called the coast 2, and in my opinion it is an improvement on its predecessor. I'm not a huge fan of "light" colored denim because I am particular about washes. The old coast had a greenish/cyan undertone to it which I hated. Added the dirty/muddy brown wash which added some "reddish"/orange overtones...it just didn't work for me. I like my washed denim to be "clean", washed out but not filthy.

The Coast 2 is pretty much that. Its a nice washed out indigo, with fading along the thighs down to the knees.
View attachment 1694538
The whiskers and honeycombs are pretty subtle which makes the wash very realistic for a "washed out" pain of vintage denim. View attachment 1694528 View attachment 1694531 Too many times you see washed out indigo denim with intense whiskers and it really boggles your mind. These look like a stonewashed/or washed out pair of Levis, very "on trend". the only "dirt" I notice on my pair seems to be on the top block, along the front pockets and the back pockets, which looks very realistic. View attachment 1694530 I can't say I noticed it much elsewhere, but I do want to note that the denim overall has a subtle yellow/brown warmth to it, very "vintage".

CONSTRUCTION:

The denim continues to be made in Japan. Like all JE products made in Japan, the quality is top notch. I didn't see any glaring errors, loose threads, etc etc. Both the carbons and coast 2 utilize the blackout/gunmetal hardware. Probably the only mishap in these pairs. Now I agree with the carbons have darker hardware, but I wish the shank and rivets on the coast were the silver ones that were utilized on the new sashilko thumper.
View attachment 1694511
Surprising the daze denim in sashiko also utilize the gun metal hardware, which seems like an odd dissonance.
View attachment 1694510

The devil is in the details, and I think the brand should really move towards lighter hardware for their lighter indigo pairs of denim. But I am sure there is a rationale behind it (same raw indigo base pair for all washes, logistic issues/difficulty obtaining hardware during the pandemic?).

Anyway, besides that "slip up" I think the denim is beautifully constructed. Both pairs are a mid weight denim (unlike the daze raw). Like all daze these are 100% cotton, there is no stretch in these, so really take the sizing charts to heart. If you're like me, old, then you really don't want to f*ck with buying a pair to tight and waiting for them to break in. Long gone are the days for me of sleeping in denim to facilitate stretch... SMH

View attachment 1694534 The construction maintains the same details you'd expect in high end Japanese denim, chain-stitched hems/waistband, hidden rivets for the back pockets, etc etc.
View attachment 1694533

CONCLUSIONS/THOUGHTS:
Overall, both pairs are great. Currently my favorite pairs of "straight" (IMO slim) denim out. Now I know, inevitably, I'm going to get a lot of questions about choosing one wash over the other. If I had a gun to my head I'd choose the coast, but honestly I think they are both great and worthy of being in anyones rotation. Anyway, the denim is great, just my 2 cents.
View attachment 1694541
Fantastic. Paired with those Boston Birks ?. The length of the denim on you is perfect. Mine stack a bit more than I’d like but I really don’t want to loose that beautiful bottom hem that JE creates. new hem lines always look cheap and weird.

dino09

Reaction score

View attachment 1694539 View attachment 1694540
View attachment 1694547

CUT & SIZING
:

COLOR/WASH:
View attachment 1694536
Its a nice rich black with subtle fading/whiskers in the crotch and thigh. View attachment 1694529 View attachment 1694532 There are also some subtle details like fraying at the pockets and the hem.

View attachment 1694538
The whiskers and honeycombs are pretty subtle which makes the wash very realistic for a "washed out" pain of vintage denim. View attachment 1694528 View attachment 1694531 Too many times you see washed out indigo denim with intense whiskers and it really boggles your mind. These look like a stonewashed/or washed out pair of Levis, very "on trend". the only "dirt" I notice on my pair seems to be on the top block, along the front pockets and the back pockets, which looks very realistic. View attachment 1694530 I can't say I noticed it much elsewhere, but I do want to note that the denim overall has a subtle yellow/brown warmth to it, very "vintage".

CONSTRUCTION:

View attachment 1694511
View attachment 1694510

View attachment 1694534 The construction maintains the same details you'd expect in high end Japanese denim, chain-stitched hems/waistband, hidden rivets for the back pockets, etc etc.
View attachment 1694533

CONCLUSIONS/THOUGHTS:
View attachment 1694541
How tall are you man ? You pull em off well. I'm too stocky 5'11" I think it wouldnt look as good on me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads