• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Job Interview: Rolex, Patek or cell phone?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kirbya
Patek seems like it might be a little overboard. If someone showed up in my office with a $20,000+ watch, I'd wounder why he was looking for a job! You never know the background of those with whom you interview, so I wouldn't risk any possible negative impressions.

That's true. If they even notice the watch at all, they might think it a replica.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
You haven't told us what cell phone you are going to use.
There is a big difference between

nokia2100.jpg

and

10431324-goldvish-luxury-cell-phone.jpg

Neither of those exude "cutting-edge professional". The first, luddite/anti-tech (and silly color); the second, heiress/tech-challenged douche bag.

BGW1980

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
completely agree. let them find out your a WIS after youve been there a while. not at the interview. itll be misunderstood as some mental/priorities issue

This is a very fair point. The "proper" reasons to wear a nice watch are purely internal. If those with whom you are interacting don't know that you derive personal pleasure from the watch, they are likely to think you are wearing it simply for show. Why risk alienating them? A big justification for "no watch."

On the other hand, a PP is the watch you *should* be wearing to that occasion in an ideal world in which everyone obeyed your sartorial sensibilities and scarcity did not exist. A small justification for "PP."

I can't think of a single reason to wear the Rolex over the PP to an afternoon/evening job interview, unless it has some special significance for you.

So I think anyone with your best interests at heart would suggest no watch > PP > Rolex. If you don't fear being taken for a pretentious fop (after all you know the nuances of this particular situation better than do we), go with the Patek.

Best of luck on the interview and subsequent salary negotiations.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bic Pentameter
I will be seeing some people Wednesday afternoon for a "maybe I could work for you full time" kind of meeting, which will be followed by dinner later in the evening. I don't necessarily need the job, but if they like me and I like them, and their number and my number overlap, then I probably will go to work for them. (Unfortunately, I suspect that their number will probably be much lower than mine.)

I have two watches. One is Rolex Datejust. It is similar to this one. The gold and silver watch and bracelet pretty much mark it as a Rolex, although not as a flashy one.

The second is a Patek, which some folks could dismiss as a relatively understated gold watch, but folks who pay attention to watches might see it as something more than the average timepiece. Because we will start talks in the afternoon and have dinner sometime later, I do expect that I will be glacing at the time occasionally during the day.

Any thoughts on which of these, if either would be best? I could go watchless and use my cellphone.

Bic

I find it hilarious you have a Patek and Rolex but can't prepare for an interview.

mrhills0146

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bic Pentameter
...I am 40 years old. This would be for a mid-career executive position -- outside consultant who goes in house....

...then you ought to be able to dress for an interview in your sleep - without giving which watch you are going to wear for God's sake - a second thought!

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Thanks for the serious replies, and even for the non-serious ones. I appreciate them. This isn't a matter of preparing for the interview, but an opportunity to benefit from the collective SF wisdom.

I don't plan on purposefully drawing attention to my watch, but I do think that there will be occasions during the day when time might come up. "Bic, we just flew in from Japan this morning. What time is it here in Seattle?" "Bic, would you meet us in the lobby in ten minutes?" That will happen, and I will pull back my shirtsleeve or take my cellphone out of my jacket as the case may be.

I have my own ideas about which choice is more appropriate, but thought a poll might be useful. As is often the case with questions about interview attire, it sounds like most folks think the choice shouldn't make a difference, but that 1 out of 100 will see either watch as pretentious, an indicator of improper priorities, or lack of industriousness, and therefore the safest bet is my cellphone. (For this same reason, I won't wear a pocket square, a double breasted suit, suspenders, brown shoes, a regimental tie, a fedora, or a carnation in my lapel.)

Bic

GBer

Reaction score
I am surprised I didn't see the obligatory cufflink question
eh.gif

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But you still haven't told us what cell phone you have.
While I admit that my previous post was partly in jest, the act of taking one's cell phone out of the pocket is much less inconspicuous than a glance towards the wrist.

Is it an
iPhone? (hipster)
Blackberry? (corporate slave)
one of those aweful flip-phones? (eewwww)

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
It is NOT a dress watch and to wear it in a formal setting shows that the person wearing it does not know the difference.
or the owner , after 20 years of service, received it as a corporate gift or as a nice present to his/her self.

the owner may very well not know the difference, and does not at all care to want to know the difference, for the world at large is not as OCD about wrist accessories as you are

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kirbya
If someone showed up in my office with a $20,000+ watch, I'd wounder why he was looking for a job!
B/c the dummy spent all his money on watches. PS: Did anyone actually LOOK at the PP link OP posted? The watch is ugly as ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads