• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jtchinoy

Reaction score

I understand that some test shoes mean their gauge shoes to check your feet.  I checked their web site and they make adjustment based on your foot length, ball girth and instep.  
Test shoes may have softer leather to show the creases easily to check the fit.  

Thanks for the insight! My Japanese isn't fluent, so I had trouble explaining that the shoe was bending over my toes instead of just behind them, but the sales woman grabbed a more experienced fellow who understood just by touching my shoes. My little toe issue was obvious to everyone, in contrast.

Given it took them 3 months, due to a 3 week delay, to make these I assume they were still made to measure test shoes and not general shoes sent out to gauge fit.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here gone the bespoke route here with Hiro Yanagimachi? I'll be traveling to Japan next summer for a couple weeks and was wondering if this would be enough time to get fitted/have a last made...

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone here gone the bespoke route here with Hiro Yanagimachi? I'll be traveling to Japan next summer for a couple weeks and was wondering if this would be enough time to get fitted/have a last made...

For bespoke, almost all Japanese makers take about 6 months to your first fitting. Hiro might fit twice, for bespoke.
You'll need a second trip to Japan, definitely. 2 weeks won't cut it. And he seems to be traveling overseas a bit more recently. So I'm not sure if that will affect his normal work processes.

Last edited:

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just send him an email and ask. If planned a long time ahead, it may be possible to get a fitting, but I really don't know.
He speaks fluent English and you will have no issue communicating.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For bespoke, almost all Japanese makers take about 6 months to your first fitting. Hiro might fit twice, for bespoke.
You'll need a second trip to Japan, definitely. 2 weeks won't cut it. And he seems to be traveling overseas a bit more recently. So I'm not sure if that will affect his normal work processes.

Hmm, that makes things a little more tricky - but there's nothing that bad about having an excuse to visit Japan again... :)

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmm, that makes things a little more tricky - but there's nothing that bad about having an excuse to visit Japan again... :)

Well, as Stefan mentioned, you could probably drop him an email and try your luck. Nothing to lose.
While I was at his shop last year, he did tell me he preferred 2 fittings for bespoke shoes (he sounds like a real stickler for good fit!), so maybe you could negotiate with him to churn out the first fitting while you're there?
To at least somewhat defray the costs of you having to travel there too many times.
But as you rightfully mentioned, it never hurts to go to Japan too often! Such a beautiful country. Plenty to see and do apart from shoes. Best food I've ever eaten as well.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, as Stefan mentioned, you could probably drop him an email and try your luck. Nothing to lose.
While I was at his shop last year, he did tell me he preferred 2 fittings for bespoke shoes (he sounds like a real stickler for good fit!), so maybe you could negotiate with him to churn out the first fitting while you're there?
To at least somewhat defray the costs of you having to travel there too many times.
But as you rightfully mentioned, it never hurts to go to Japan too often! Such a beautiful country. Plenty to see and do apart from shoes. Best food I've ever eaten as well.

Would be great if I could do something like that. Although it would be my first time going the bespoke route so I'd like him to be a stickler as well so that the fit is perfect.

Jtchinoy

Reaction score
If I receive MTO shoes where some parts aren't properly colored/ dyed, can I ask the maker to fix them? Or is it better to just apply some shoe cream to cover the area?

Just took my MTO Madras shoes in to get steel toe taps installed and noticed part of the crease between the upper and the welt is still the natural tan of the leather. It looks like that part was never treated. Also just noticed what appear to be veins on the toe of one shoe, but that seems to be something that can't be avoided.

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I receive MTO shoes where some parts aren't properly colored/ dyed, can I ask the maker to fix them? Or is it better to just apply some shoe cream to cover the area?

Just took my MTO Madras shoes in to get steel toe taps installed and noticed part of the crease between the upper and the welt is still the natural tan of the leather. It looks like that part was never treated. Also just noticed what appear to be veins on the toe of one shoe, but that seems to be something that can't be avoided.

Veins can and certainly should be avoided, especially on the toe of the shoe. Post pictures of the finishing problems. In my opinion, at Japanese bespoke makers' MTO price, incomplete finishing and veined leather is unacceptable.

The above assumes your MTO is from a Japanese bespoke maker.

Jtchinoy

Reaction score

Veins can and certainly should be avoided, especially on the toe of the shoe. Post pictures of the finishing problems. In my opinion, at Japanese bespoke makers' MTO price, incomplete finishing and veined leather is unacceptable. 

The above assumes your MTO is from a Japanese bespoke maker. 

Madras shoes is a 90 year old MTO/ RTW company. Price point for their MTO shoes are 60-70k yen depending on Blake or Blake rapid stitching, with test fitting included. The shoes are measured in store, but made in Italy to my understanding.

I imagine you're talking about all of the renowned bespoke makers that charge 140-300k yen when you say a Japanese bespoke maker.

I'm currently at work, but will post pictures in a few hours when I get home.

Last edited:

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Madras shoes is a 90 year old MTO/ RTW company. Price point for their MTO shoes are 60-70k yen depending on Blake or Blake rapid stitching, with test fitting included. The shoes are measured in store, but made in Italy to my understanding.

I imagine you're talking about all of the renowned bespoke makers that charge 140-300k yen when you say a Japanese bespoke maker.

I'm currently at work, but will post pictures in a few hours when I get home.

Lol...I thought Madras shoes was a style or pattern of shoes, not a brand. Sorry about that! In that case my thoughts, other than post pictures for advice, probably aren't relevant.

Jtchinoy

Reaction score

Lol...I thought Madras shoes was a style or pattern of shoes, not a brand. Sorry about that! In that case my thoughts, other than post pictures for advice, probably aren't relevant. 

Haha, not a problem. For a company so old I find it strange there are so few reviews about them. I figured at this price range it would be difficult to get a remake just for veins and an incomplete finish. I'm taking them in today anyway to get polished for a wedding this weekend and will ask about the veins and unfinished area at the store.

edit::
The veins, or cracks, are a little hard to see but this is the best picture I could take to use the glare to highlight them.

Note the light area between the upper and the welt. Pretty sure that's supposed to be brown, like the rest of the upper. Or dark brown, like the welt.

2nd edit::
Brought it in and they tried to explain the veins off as something that happens with the kind of leather they used for my shoe. They'll try to make it less noticeable by adding some cream while polishing it. As for the unfinished finish, while looking at other shoes I noticed the area between the upper and welt are commonly missed, since they color the shoe after it's made. They're going to try to fill it in with cream, but no chance they'll remake these.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads