• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A Visit to Il Quadrifoglio, Kobe

I finally had an opportunity to visit the good folks of Il Quadrifoglio at their hometown of Kobe. A short distance from the scenic harbour area, their atelier is located on the 2nd floor of Knocks Bespoke, a co-op workshop they founded with several other shoemakers. Both Yuka and Atsushi Qnai spent some years working in Florence, and they must have brought back a little bit of Italy with them to decorate their charming little space. Enjoy the pics!

A shoemaker`s workshop.

Bespoke samples on display.

A new wholecut model in a sharp chiseled last, paired with burgundy Radica calf. With a beautiful last such as this, it`s not hard to see why Wholecuts are the #1 seller for Il Quadrifoglio.

Natural sole

Trial shoes

Shoes in the making

Lots of vintage tools, collected from trips to Europe (such as from flee markets)

Master and his student. Atsushi-san has an apprentice of his own now

An assortment of gorgeous leather accessories

Coin cases, card cases, cigar/pen cases

Yuka-san hard at work (and a little cameo by the apprentice)

Il Quadrifoglio is located on the 2nd floor of Knocks Bespoke.

Atsushi Qnai (shoes) and Yuka Qnai (leather accessories)

My thanks to the Qnai`s for their hospitality!

Il Quadrifoglio
2-1-3 Kamijo Douri
Hyogo-ku, Kobe City
http://ilquadrifoglio-kobe.com
[email protected]

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those burgundy wholecuts are soooo sexy! I want a pair!

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Visit to Il Quadrifoglio, Kobe

I finally had an opportunity to visit the good folks of Il Quadrifoglio at their hometown of Kobe. A short distance from the scenic harbour area, their atelier is located on the 2nd floor of Knocks Bespoke, a co-op workshop they founded with several other shoemakers. Both Yuka and Atsushi Qnai spent some years working in Florence, and they must have brought back a little bit of Italy with them to decorate their charming little space. Enjoy the pics!

A shoemaker`s workshop.

Bespoke samples on display.

A new wholecut model in a sharp chiseled last, paired with burgundy Radica calf. With a beautiful last such as this, it`s not hard to see why Wholecuts are the #1 seller for Il Quadrifoglio.

Natural sole

Trial shoes

Shoes in the making

Lots of vintage tools, collected from trips to Europe (such as from flee markets)

Master and his student. Atsushi-san has an apprentice of his own now

An assortment of gorgeous leather accessories

Coin cases, card cases, cigar/pen cases

Yuka-san hard at work (and a little cameo by the apprentice)

Il Quadrifoglio is located on the 2nd floor of Knocks Bespoke.

Atsushi Qnai (shoes) and Yuka Qnai (leather accessories)

My thanks to the Qnai`s for their hospitality!

Nice reportage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nutcracker, Great report! Hope you enjoyed Kobe...I really ought to get myself over to their studio. I am in need of a new card case and those look excellent.

gambit50

Reaction score
Another fine post, Nutcracker.

So, if things turn up for me and I get back to Japan sometime soon you have been nominated to take the trip out to Kobe and Il Quadri with me, haha.

Out of curiosity are there wallets available?

Cheers

Last edited:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Another fine post, Nutcracker.

So, if things turn up for me and I get back to Japan sometime soon you have been nominated to take the trip out to Kobe and Il Quadri with me, haha.

Out of curiosity are there wallets available?

Cheers

:fonz:

No, they only make hard leather goods that are made from wooden form.

Bellago, also from Kobe, and a buddy of Qnai-san, makes great looking order-made bags and wallets.
http://www.bellago.jp

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A Visit to Spigola, Kobe

How can I complete my visit Kobe without making a pilgrimage to Spigola? A short drive from Il Quadrifoglio, the `temple of shoes` as some like to call, is a lovely, yet imposing structure that they built from the ground up. Koji Suzuki (last making, bottoming), brother Etsuo (upper), and 3 apprentices work hectically around the clock, churning out about 20 pairs of shoes each month. A bespoke powerhouse by any standard, Spigola is ready to take on the world with orders coming in from Hong Kong and soon, New York.

La Spigola mansion

Visitors are greeted by a large central atrium, with stairs leading up to the showroom. The first floor houses the bottoming room and the uppers room.

Exotic hides slung over the 2nd floor rails

Orders are taken at the upstairs showroom

Etsuo-san

A lovely wingtip derby with Russian reindeer saddle

Old shoes brought in for repair

Spigola MTO samples

Orders waiting for the final touches

New red boxes for the lucky customers

View from the upstairs: An apprentice hard at work

The bottoming room: Koji-san at the helm

An early Spigola model (left) and freshly made shoes

Wall of lasts

My thanks to Koji-san and Etsuo-san for their hospitality!

La spigola
5-2-16 Hosoda-chou
Nagata-ku, Kobe City
www.spigola.jp
[email protected]

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
very nice, though some of the chiseled toe are too much for my taste

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

very nice, though some of the chiseled toe are too much for my taste

Qnai-san`s basic style (both square and round) are indeed sharp, but less edgy / pointy than those new whole cuts. Recently he`s been getting more requests for aggressive shapes though.... (such as those seen in the pictures)

Bams

Reaction score
Hi
I am not clear about the construction of the Spigola MTO shoes and would appreciate any input as I might be interested in purchasing a pair.
The construction seems to be referred as hand sewn welt but machine stitched for the front part of the sole. Anyone could give any light on what that means? Is it similar to for example Saint Crispin and the bespoke offering from say Gaziano Girling?
Or is it like the traditional RTW from the british makers, meaning goodyear welted with gemming?

Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads