1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nutcracker, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

Hiro Yanagimachi is visiting Skomaker Dagestad in Oslo, Norway 5th and 6th of June (Friday and Saturday) ot test out a new last. Feel free to come by if you happen to be close!

2. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Any pics on the feet?

3. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I have pics...but unfortunately my computer crashed and am unable currently to upload them from my camera...so it will have to wait until the computer is fixed...

Sorry...

4. chogall

chogall Senior member

Would be very interested to see them live!!

Good luck fixing computers. Sometimes they are a bitch to recover.

5. VegTan

VegTan Senior member

6. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

After Nutcracker posted the picture of his Fugee briefcase the last time around, I cldn't help but follow in his trail, and recently commissioned a briefcase in bridle and an elephant skin wallet. Was taken through the process by a very knowledgable craftsman. The only downside to this, is that gratification is significantly delayed, as with most bespoke products. I'm only anticipating delivery in 2019. :happy::satisfied:

Some pictures of his workshop, the leathers I was shown, and him taking me through the process.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

is 2019 the real date expected?

8. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

9. bboysdontcryy

Yes, it is. He has a lot of orders and he hand stitches the whole case, so there. Painfully long but he was upfront about it and I was given the option to walk away so it's not as if I was duped into it.

1 person likes this.
  10. Stone

Stone Senior member

Serious patience, that's impressive. What payment does he ask for up front?

11. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, 4 years was what I was told too for new orders. I think I lucked out with 1 1/2 yrs wait :)

12. bboysdontcryy

Nutcracker is helluva lucky. How's your bag holding up?

I think it's 30% down payment. Fugee is definitely not your first port of cal if you want a new first bag, or have a pressing need. I have a number, so, I suppose no harm. The alternative would be not having the bag which, in my books, was worse than having to wait a few years.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  13. fllick

fllick Senior member

Placed an order with Yohei Fukuda last month, looking forward to my fitting in a few months time. First bespoke order ever, was deciding between Qnai-san or Yohei, but decided it was more convenient to go with Yohei since I am in Tokyo and I prefer Yohei's style ever so slightly.

3 people like this.
  14. bboysdontcryy

Post some pics :) did you go the bespoke route?

15. fllick

fllick Senior member

Yohei Fukuda has a few options, I took the option almost full bespoke but choosing one of his designs and not designing my own shoe. So my own lasts, fitting sessions etc. Bespoke fit with a not so bespoke design i guess. I really like his ebony model from his heritage collection. it was like entering a candy store, the shoes on display were just mind-blowing.

2 people like this.
  16. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

But will it be done before 2019?

1 person likes this.
  17. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Nutcracker, is there a meta union or organization in Japan for all the cordwainers around the country? Given that the land of the rising sun now lives a renaissance of shoemaking, it would be fascinating to have a show pair made at each maker, just to be kept in an archive for posterity. This is a case for material or cultural history, you know, we're not talking shoes only.

1 person likes this.
  18. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

There are quite a few Leather-makers / tanners organisations / associations, JLIA probably the most visible one (with many shoemakers / manufacturers). JLIA runs its own gallery in Ginza (TIME & EFFORT), where they sometimes organise shoes-related events, including exhibitions of bespoke shoemakers` works, or theme-related shows (such as inviting only female shoemakers). However, many of the best Japanese makers we are familiar with here on SF are not involved with these organisations, as far as I know.

1 person likes this.
  19. ntempleman

ntempleman Senior member

It's a similar situation here in the UK, there's a cordwainers guild but I'll be damned if I know any professionals who are actually members. Makes you wonder how these places are running and what they actually do.

20. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

In the UK, you have the "Independent Shoemakers" whose members include many of the smaller shoemaking firms, but not the internationally known West-End firms.

http://www.shoemakers.org.uk/

Nevertheless, they do organize an annual conference. Some of the people attending do work for the big West-End firms, either fully employed or as outworkers.

http://www.shoemakers.org.uk/conference.asp