• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi
I am not clear about the construction of the Spigola MTO shoes and would appreciate any input as I might be interested in purchasing a pair.
The construction seems to be referred as hand sewn welt but machine stitched for the front part of the sole. Anyone could give any light on what that means? Is it similar to for example Saint Crispin and the bespoke offering from say Gaziano Girling? 
Or is it like the traditional RTW from the british makers, meaning goodyear welted with gemming?

Thank you!

Hi Bams,

Spigola`s MTO shoes are made alongside the bespoke shoes by the same team of craftsmen (Koji, Etsuo etc..): Hand lasted and handsewn welted. The difference (construction-wise) is in the outsole: Spigola bespokes (as well as G&G bespokes) are handstitched, while the MTOs are machine stitched. However, the dress soles of the MTO shoes have hand stitched waist (to hide the stitches).

Comparatively, Spigola MTOs are closer to St.C in the construction process, than to English GTW shoes.

Bams

Reaction score
Hi Bams,

Spigola`s MTO shoes are made alongside the bespoke shoes by the same team of craftsmen (Koji, Etsuo etc..): Hand lasted and handsewn welted. The difference (construction-wise) is in the outsole: Spigola bespokes (as well as G&G bespokes) are handstitched, while the MTOs are machine stitched. However, the dress soles of the MTO shoes have hand stitched waist (to hide the stitches).

Comparatively, Spigola MTOs are closer to St.C in the construction process, than to English GTW shoes.
Thank you so much for the informative reply! And also for all the tempting pictures you have posted

Bams

Reaction score
Hi Bams,

If I may just ask one more thing, does it mean then that there is no cork under the sole, like on bespoke, since there should not be any gap to fill? It was my understanding that the gap filled by cork is created by the machine stitched welt, but my knowledge is limited so I may just be mixing things up

Thank you again

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

amazing posts! keep it up!

Thanks bud! :fonz:

Oh, I must check it out!

A close-up pic of an old Spigola bespoke.... Tight stitches

Tony Montana

Reaction score
Stunning. Is there any way of ordering Spigola MTO from anywhere in Europe? Thanks!

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If I may just ask one more thing, does it mean then that there is no cork under the sole, like on bespoke, since there should not be any gap to fill? It was my understanding that the gap filled by cork is created by the machine stitched welt, but my knowledge is limited so I may just be mixing things up

Thank you again

FIllers are indeed used to fill the gap (usually on the front half of the sole) for handsewn welted shoes too. Not sure what Spigola uses, probably sheet cork or felt... Factory assembled GYW shoes tend to use a thick layer of hot cork pulp. Someone like Bengal-stripe may have a better answer.

Bams

Reaction score
FIllers are indeed used to fill the gap (usually on the front half of the sole) for handsewn welted shoes too. Not sure what Spigola uses, probably sheet cork or felt... Factory assembled GYW shoes tend to use a thick layer of hot cork pulp. Someone like Bengal-stripe may have a better answer.
Thank you, much appreciated

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Stunning. Is there any way of ordering Spigola MTO from anywhere in Europe? Thanks!

The only international outlet for Spigola (so far) is The Armoury. You may want to catch one of their trunk shows at Hong Kong or New York (this Spring). Perhaps they will take Spigola to their London location (Drakes) too!

I don`t think Spigola takes new orders over mail/phone.

Last edited:

cigarMan

Reaction score
Dear Nutcracker,

Great reports as always, you are making us dream of Japanese shoes…
Two question regarding Spigolas workshop: Did you photograph the machine they are using to stitch the soles? And did you photograph the sewing machine for the uppers?
The stitching looks absolutely outstanding.

Thanks a lot and many greetings,

CigarMan

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Dear Nutcracker,

Great reports as always, you are making us dream of Japanese shoes…
Two question regarding Spigolas workshop: Did you photograph the machine they are using to stitch the soles? And did you photograph the sewing machine for the uppers?
The stitching looks absolutely outstanding.

Thanks a lot and many greetings,

CigarMan

Thanks for your kind words!

MTO shoes` soles are taken to a contracted factory to be machine stitched.
The sewing machines for the upper are old Singer Cirdar`s and old Seiko`s.
and yes I absolutely agree. Their stitchwork (both bespoke and MTO) is outstanding.

Last edited:

Tony Montana

Reaction score
The only international outlet for Spigola (so far) is The Armoury. You may want to catch one of their trunk shows at Hong Kong or New York (this Spring). Perhaps they will take Spigola to their London location (Drakes) too!

I don`t think Spigola takes new orders over mail/phone.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply!
What does "MTO" exactly mean in Spigola's case? Do they adjust the three offered standard lasts for fit? If yes, do they offer trial shoes for their MTO line?

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks a lot for the quick reply!
What does "MTO" exactly mean in Spigola's case? Do they adjust the three offered standard lasts for fit? If yes, do they offer trial shoes for their MTO line?

Spigola`s MTO allows only minor last adjustments (to accommodate high instep, for example), and they don`t offer trial shoes either. They do allow minor, if not reasonable changes to the designs (on/off a medallion etc...).

Tony Montana

Reaction score
Spigola`s MTO allows only minor last adjustments (to accommodate high instep, for example), and they don`t offer trial shoes either. They do allow minor, if not reasonable changes to the designs (on/off a medallion etc...).

Does that mean they offer their MTO shoes in different widths etc. or is it a matter of luck to fit in one of their sizes?
Many thanks!

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Does that mean they offer their MTO shoes in different widths etc. or is it a matter of luck to fit in one of their sizes?
Many thanks!

The latter :)

They only offer one width. If you fit a standard E in English shoes, should be no problem IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads