• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Marquess
3 Eyelet Derby
Brown Lizard

Marquess Blog

Nice model and material

VegTan

Reaction score
An set of vintage Otsuka Shoes advertisement from the early 20th century (Taisho era) Were available in Box Calf, a variety of kidskin (apparently a popular choice back then), and Willow Calf
They are quite sleek shoes. What is the right most leather it is kid but what kind?
Looks like a Japanese importer pronounced Vici Kid as By-Cy Kid incorrectly.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Looks like a Japanese importer pronounced Vici Kid as By-Cy Kid incorrectly.

Excellent observation! Never would have guessed. Thanks for your insight!

By the way, today I dropped by Jinbocho, the bookstore town, and scored some old, out of print shoe-related tomes.

Top: 100 years of Shoe Industry in Japan
Bottom two: 100 years of Otsuka Shoes

Got lots of fascinating old photos, would love to scan and share on SF one day....

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Who did the pattern? Shoji's wife? Sole and heel details?

I believe the last / pattern is by Tony-san (and his team), and Shoji-san (and wife?) was designated to do the making.

Sorry for the grainy photo (my old iPhone).

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
That is remarkable. This thread has the highest concentration of exceptional things on SF.

A question, though: I can see why the "lazyman" style is popular in Japan, given the convention of removing one's shoes indoors. I like the way the small panels across the elasticated gusset disguise it. But it occurs to me that after all the wonderful work and the significant investment in having these shoes made bespoke, that elastic is a seriously weak link - literally. At some point it's going to sag and wrinkle, and be very difficult to replace with re-stitching all those little panels. Is is even possible? And how?

I really love this style of shoe, and have a similar practical reason for interest in formal-looking slip-ons. But I'm worried about how they will last. Educate me!

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent observation! Never would have guessed. Thanks for your insight!

By the way, today I dropped by Jinbocho, the bookstore town, and scored some old, out of print shoe-related tomes.

That's where I work (Meiji University), you should have dropped me a line...
satisfied.gif

That is remarkable. This thread has the highest concentration of exceptional things on SF.

Yes, it's easily the best thread on SF right now.

Last edited:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That's where I work (Meiji University), you should have dropped me a line... :satisfied:  

Oh forgot about that!
Kanda`s got some good unagi`s and soba`s too, if I recall :D
Maybe next time!

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is remarkable.  This thread has the highest concentration of exceptional things on SF.

A question, though: I can see why the "lazyman" style is popular in Japan, given the convention of removing one's shoes indoors.  I like the way the small panels across the elasticated gusset disguise it.  But it occurs to me that after all the wonderful work and the significant investment in having these shoes made bespoke, that elastic is a seriously weak link - literally.  At some point it's going to sag and wrinkle, and be very difficult to replace with re-stitching all those little panels.  Is is even possible?  And how?

I really love this style of shoe, and have a similar practical reason for interest in formal-looking slip-ons.  But I'm worried about how they will last.  Educate me!

Should post this on the foster thread, they famous for this style!

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sadly I don`t own side elastic shoes, so perhaps some others may chip in!

But yes, elastic shoes seem to have a continued popularity in Japan. Here are some pictures I took (with camera) from the old Otsuka Shoes book (pub. 1971) I recently bought. The pics showcase some of the shoes Otsuka made for the royal family.

`Royal Footwear` for 3 generations of emperors (Meiji, Taisho, Showa)

1. (top) Side Elastic shoes (Emperor Meiji)
2. (right) Side Elastic boots (Emperor Taisho)
3. (bottom) Punched toe oxfords (Emperor Showa)

The shoes in the picture are actually`sister shoes` (identical to those actually worn), I suppose they were kept in case replacements are needed right away.

`Shoes for the Royal Couple` (Emperor Showa and Empress Kojun)

The bottom right (#6) is a pair of `Lazyman` Side Elastic shoes.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads