• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shoes Blessing Festival, 11/23~11/24 @ Tamahime Inari Shrine, Tokyo

Located in Asakusa, Tokyo, the Tamahime Inari Shrine is the patron shrine for the countless of shoemakers and related businesses that surround the area. During the annual 'Shoe Blessing Festival' (Sat 23 ~ Sun 24 this year), a Thanksgiving for Shoes' of sorts, local shoe manufacturers, together with the local community, show their gratitude with plenty of noise and festivities. For anyone residing here in Tokyo, and also for those currently visiting Tokyo, this should be a fascinating event to participate in.

Old, worn out shoes (brought in by the owners) are given proper appreciation for completing their duties.... prayers are offered at a memorial service.

Shoe shaped shrines on the march!!

Leather shoes/bags/wears made by the local manufacturers are offered for 60%~90% off!!!

Coinciding with the festival..... An attempt to shatter the World Record for a Simulaneous Shoeshine! (currently held by the United Arab Emirates).... 800+ people are anticipated to show up to the event to shine their shoes together.

Image courtesy of the Official Homepage for the event

Last edited:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
... and the result for the Shoe Shine Challenge that happened today...

Readyyy~~ Go!

Waiting for the result....

World Recooord!! approved by the Guinness World Records :D

well... the result was a given, considering the event mobilised 800+ people (way over the previous record of 451 ppl). Still, must have been a fun event!

Video

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Official Home Page

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, wow, I am there - this is just down the road from me, but I am racing tomorrow out in Kanagawa (Warrior Dash Japan!), so I'll try to pop by on Sunday...

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oh, wow, I am there - this is just down the road from me, but I am racing tomorrow out in Kanagawa (Warrior Dash Japan!), so I'll try to pop by on Sunday...

I just saw a youtube clip on Warrior Dash.... looks pretty crazy :D
Have fun and be safe :fonz:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Central & Miyagi Kogyo MTO Order Fair 11/16 (Sat) ~12/1 (Sun) @ World Footwear Gallery

Central and Miyagi Kogyo, two of the highest regarded shoe factories in Japan, each have their own high end RTW line that are offered exclusively at the WFG. Tokyo. The ongoing Pattern Order (MTO) Fair offers a rare opportunity to order any of them from a variety of leathers and soles.

Central Shoes: MTO price starts from ¥59,800 yen. Aside from the standard French calfskin (Annonay), a variety of textured leathers and pull up leathers are offered. Single soles with fiddle waists are standard, and could be opted for spade or double soles.

Central's collection is distinguished by its sharp lasts with chiseled toes.

Nice looking boots.

Miyagi Kogyo RTW shoes: 6 models, 14 leathers (including Shinki Cordovan) to choose from. MTO price starts from ¥58,800.

Double monks in Calf (center), and Shinki Cordovan (left and right)

from World Footwear Gallery

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Central & Miyagi Kogyo MTO Order Fair 11/16 (Sat) ~12/1 (Sun) @ World Footwear Gallery

Central and Miyagi Kogyo, two of the highest regarded shoe factories in Japan, each have their own high end RTW line that are offered exclusively at the WFG. Tokyo. The ongoing Pattern Order (MTO) Fair offers a rare opportunity to order any of them from a variety of leathers and soles.

Central Shoes: MTO price starts from ¥59,800 yen. Aside from the standard French calfskin (Annonay), a variety of textured leathers and pull up leathers are offered. Single soles with fiddle waists are standard, and could be opted for spade or double soles.

Central's collection is distinguished by its sharp lasts with chiseled toes.

WOW! Those two dubmonks boots are insane!

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoe-blessing festival was as quirky as you might have expected: as shakuhachi flutes and taiko drums played in the background, piles of crappy old shoes were handed over to be burned, and piles of crappy new ones were being sold! This was some distance away from the super bespoke of nutcracker's posts down at the bottom end of the RTW market. Fun, though, and nice weather for it...

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The shoe-blessing festival was as quirky as you might have expected: as shakuhachi flutes and taiko drums played in the background, piles of crappy old shoes were handed over to be burned, and piles of crappy new ones were being sold! This was some distance away from the super bespoke of nutcracker's posts down at the bottom end of the RTW market. Fun, though, and nice weather for it...

That sounds like good ol' fun! The youtube video I linked above (the shoe shine event) had kids' marching band performing right before the start. :lol:

The vast majority of shoe manufacturers in Asakusa aren't high end at all, but most of them (that have survived) have been operating for a very long time, and I'm sure there is a good amount of community spirit and pride that ties them together...

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

BEAUTIFUL COLOR

The top one has a patinated finish.....I recall the base color (leather) is very light blue, and a mixture of blues and violets have been applied.... they look quite stunning in person!!

The bottom one with antique buckles is actually made from a very dark shade of green (Moss Green) with black wax polish applied on the toe. The color have since faded/lightened over the years of display, and I must say it looks even better with age.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted shoes by the inimitable Marquess

Side Elastic Shoes in Chisel toe
Carl Freudenburg Impala leather in Bordeaux

Side Elasic Shoes in Chisel toe
Carl Freudenburg in Chocolate calf

Wing Cap Oxford Shoes in 'Marquess Round' toe
Ebony Calf

Semi-Brogue Oxford Shoes in 'Marquess Square' toe
Carl Freudenburg Chocolate calf

All four pairs are bespoke shoes for his fortunate clients

Marquess Blog

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's been a while since I posted shoes by the inimitable Marquess

Side Elastic Shoes in Chisel toe
Carl Freudenburg Impala leather in Bordeaux

Side Elasic Shoes in Chisel toe
Carl Freudenburg in Chocolate calf

Wing Cap Oxford Shoes in 'Marquess Round' toe
Ebony Calf

Semi-Brogue Oxford Shoes in 'Marquess Square' toe
Carl Freudenburg Chocolate calf

All four pairs are bespoke shoes for his fortunate clients

Marquess Blog

awesome, lovely balance to these lasts and designs

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The top one has a patinated finish.....I recall the base color (leather) is very light blue, and a mixture of blues and violets have been applied.... they look quite stunning in person!!

The bottom one with antique buckles is actually made from a very dark shade of green (Moss Green) with black wax polish applied on the toe. The color have since faded/lightened over the years of display, and I must say it looks even better with age.
Thank you very much for your kind reply.

But according to you and who do you think is the best bespoke shoemaker in japan? I am very curious of your answer, very important to me.

According to you it is better to Fukuda or Saion?

And what is that which makes bespoke shoes more comfortable? And what better to finish?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads