• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese shoe Appreciation [pictures!]

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Actually, what the bubble originally says is:

"The trick is to jazz up the look by using little accessories to add a dash of colour"

Sorry folks - no mention of sushi.

Nice translation.

I enjoy reading the articles myself so it is my pleasure, really.

Only thing is that I will restrict myself to extracting useful factual information from the texts. Remember, this is not exactly high literature and all fashion mags are full of the usual inconsequential 'wow wee...wiz bang...that's so cool man....whoopee' type of statements. Throw in plays on words, colloquialisms, and witty comments and it becomes a translators worst nightmare. Trust you me, I can do a formal full word-for-word translation (I have done this sort of thing professionally before) but it is just so damned time-consuming and the amount you as a reader will get out of it will be too little for me to justify the time and effort.

Well said.

This must mean the new issue of Last is out!

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bio on Primo Guercerlina:

The head of PMG which encompasses a number of subsidiaries such as Orien (?sp), GTA, and Orian (?sp). Height 177cm aged 60 years old. Drives an Audi A8 listening to Brazilian music. Loves going to Brazil and dreams of moving there and of a life where he didn't have to think about money. Instead ends up gardening with what precious little time he has to himself.

Judges Opinion:
1. Shows great maturity both as an individual as well as a friend. 2. Great sense of colour. 3. Knows how to wear a suit with style using accessories to add something a touch different. 4. Good at adding accents after deciding on a key base colour 5. Great at accesorising

The main text is very long winded 'my philosophy of life' stuff. However, they zoom in on the vintage 30's Rolex with a new sporty band and point out the colour coordination of the V zone (tie, sweater and pocket square) with the brown suit. They seem to suggest that the cufflinks are bespoke and made up with his favourite stone in them. The shoes they show at the bottom left are Berlutis - not his but an example of how you can take on his style sense.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
"The trick is to jazz up the look by using little accessories to add a dash of colour"

Nice translation.

Thanks for the compliment! Anyone who can read the original text will appreciate how much skill goes into translating even a little snippet like this. It looks easy but really it is incredibly difficult.

La Grinca

Reaction score
Sator: Very many thanks for your speedy and helpful response. As a matter of interest how come you speak and read Japanese so well? One explanation just occurs - are you Japanese?

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment! Anyone who can read the original text will appreciate how much skill goes into translating even a little snippet like this. It looks easy but really it is incredibly difficult.

I do this professionally, so yes, I do appreciate the difficulty.

I also appreciate the fact that you are going to the trouble for the sheer love of it.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post. Thanks Sator for your time and effort to scan and translate.

Now that I find many of the information in the Japanese texts I've known already, it mitigates the need to learn Japanese.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads