• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tao Bao gets better every year. More and more of these small artisanal workshops setting up shop. Got a handmade thick Tochigi leather belt and it is awesome!

Oh my... he is indeed a fantastic Bootmaker! I own a pair of boots which was made by him, couple year ago, I would say those were the best price versus performance. That was a pair of engineer boots, all hand sewn welted, Maryam horse leather, and it was only about ¥5,000 (us$700). Many people might think it’s too high for a Chinese made boots.. but trust me, not this one, I personally think his craftsmanship worth every penny.
Btw I little trick is that if you are interested in buying/ordering a pair from him, I suggest you go directly to Taobao, which is a Chinese online shopping web, and also he originally based, you might be get a cheaper price if you buy directly from there... this is due to complicated reasons if you understand what I mean..;)

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely agree.
I will throw a strong plug for Peng @flamepanda11 on Instagram. He’s in rural China. I’ve tracked his work for a year and chatted with him a lot. Beautiful stuff. I recently gave him a custom order. 110 day build and delivery estimate.
How did you go about measurements, and what was the order process like?
He really does some very nice work and I was thinking about hitting him up for a pair.

Markfisher702

Reaction score
How did you go about measurements, and what was the order process like?
He really does some very nice work and I was thinking about hitting him up for a pair.
I used the boot order template from RoleClub for common places on the foot to measure in cm measurements. Also gave US Brannock device measurements. Also gave a handful of other boots and their sizes that fit me well.

Peng and I exchanged many DMs on Instagram including photos. He’s fluent in English, sharp, well spoken, and computer-savy. Very easy to deal with. Look through all his Insta pics to zero on on a boot style. He’ll provide leather, sole and other options....and his suggestions about what looks good.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome that’s great to hear. I definitely like the Maryam horsebutt leather and the price for quality of work looks fantastic.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Since Role Club has been mentioned here: his Underdog boot is my grail boot. Anyone know of someone making a similar style boot in brown horsehide? Would love to get around that ridiculous wait time.

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Since Role Club has been mentioned here: his Underdog boot is my grail boot. Anyone know of someone making a similar style boot in brown horsehide? Would love to get around that ridiculous wait time.
Agree Underdog = grail boot. He’ll make it in any hide you want but obviously, there’s the wait. No clue on similar but others will chime in.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SLAB

Reaction score
Yep, prof barnets has a model that looks suspiciously very similar. It is however a lot more affordable. I placed an order for my underdogs last month. Remarkably he told me my eta is november 2022. Quite a long wait!

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Yep, prof barnets has a model that looks suspiciously very similar. It is however a lot more affordable. I placed an order for my underdogs last month. Remarkably he told me my eta is november 2022. Quite a long wait!
Whoa. 28 months. Just drink a huge glass of NyQuil and hibernate. The upside is the value of the day when the boots arrive.

Lots of us in line. Respect to Brian for not farming anything out to interns. 1 man 1 pair of boots at a time ??
69FD15B9-FF24-4D2B-B9E5-BACEFDF7AC18.jpeg

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Long wait, but the time is going to go by anyway. That’s how I felt about my White Klouds, but sure enough they’re coming very soon! :)

Markfisher702

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere a long time ago that, on average, people get more positive feelings out of looking forward to a vacation they have booked than they do from the actual vacation. Maybe Brian is doing us all a favour.
Optimism is quite powerful. We need more. Well done, sir.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads