• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen v. H&H

tomcreo

Reaction score
Short question:

Would you recommend Janten or H&H Slim for a drop-9?

Long question:

I've got a tough build to fit (15.5 neck, 41 chest, 18.5 shoulder, 32 waist, 35 sleeve), a fairly restrictive budget ($30-50/shirt), and a penchant for quality. I was wondering if you all could recommend either going with Jantzen or H&H Slim Fit? In the past I've tried mytailor.com (out of my price range for the fabric quality I want) and BB Slim (Ok, but in order to get the body to fit, the shoulders are really tight).

Thanks.

dclloyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomcreo
Short question:

Would you recommend Janten or H&H Slim for a drop-9?

Long question:

I've got a tough build to fit (15.5 neck, 41 chest, 18.5 shoulder, 32 waist, 35 sleeve), a fairly restrictive budget ($30-50/shirt), and a penchant for quality. I was wondering if you all could recommend either going with Jantzen or H&H Slim Fit? In the past I've tried mytailor.com (out of my price range for the fabric quality I want) and BB Slim (Ok, but in order to get the body to fit, the shoulders are really tight).

Thanks.

If you've got a tough build to fit, you will always be better off with mtm, and imho Jantzen is one of the best options at that price point. I went to mtm a few years ago and still occasionally fool myself into buying a 'great deal' on a RTW. No matter the deal though I always go to my mtm shirts first - they're WAY more flattering and I feel better in them.

tomcreo

Reaction score
Fair enough, but my only concern is over the materials that Jantzen uses. With H&H I suppose I feel that I'll be receiving a "known" and "time-tested" product. I know zero about the fabrics that Jantzen uses. Absolutely the fit of a Jantzen will be better than RTW, but would the fit of the H&H be so poor that a $5 alteration couldn't fix it?

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
my limited experience w. tailoring shirts in HK- its a hit and miss.

If you're experienced to tell out swatches of fabric, then you can pick good fabric. That leaves you with the problem of tailoring quality- specify, and respecify your details (e.g. removable collar stays, tapered waist etc.)

I had OK tailoring from my tailor, but still not expert on whether cloth is good- i think its ok, its quite smooth to the touch, not too thick for summer and yet doesn't wrinkle that easily.

tomcreo

Reaction score
The "hit and miss" part concerns me. Since I'm about to start working, I'd like to start building my wardrobe around solid, quality pieces. The way I see it, after you add up the costs of returing poor fitting test shirts, or improving mediocre shirts over time, I could end up paying the equivalent of a high quality shirting wardrobe.

I know that many use Jantzen as an experimental MTM, but I'm concerned that I'll be throwing away $60 that could have otherwise been spent on a high quality shirt, that just needed the waist taken in a bit.

As I mentioned before, I tried mytailor.com, but was unimpressed with the quality of the material in my price range ($79 Cotton 100's). The initial fit was OK (sleeves were too long, collar too big, chest too generous, cuffs too wide, etc...) and could be fixed on later fittings, but I just didn't feel that the opportunity cost was worth it.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
i guess a good way to start, is by buying slowly or starting with a plain white. If you like the fit and the shirt feels great after a few washes, then theres no reason not to get more as they have your client measurements on file.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads